Winter Sucks/Fishing Alternatives?

Started by Dougfish, January 04, 2018, 13:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natureboy

Perfect time to get the boat out!Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on January 08, 2018, 10:56:20 AM
Linville Falls NC frozen. Last time was in 1978-9 and maybe in 1984.

I remember those years, particularly 78-79 in Maryland.  My father purchased a pile of ice skates in 76-77, and by 78-79, he had discovered the pleasure of pond and small lake skating.  My first skating outing was on Jameson Lake in Charles Cnty., and it was a night outing.  Most of the area lakes had around 8" of ice at the peak of the 78-79 cold snap.  Skated in the Piedmont of Carolina in 82, 84, and missed a chance in 94. 

The cold snap in 94 was rather impressive.  7 days consecutive days of sub freezing temps in the Triangle resulted in 3+ inches of ice.  This was probably the most significant pond ice event in the Triangle that I can recall.  Many skating ice events occure due to rain falling on a layer of pond ice, and then refreezing.  The 94 event was a solid freeze without the rain.

I've entertained the notion of buy skates for pond skating since I live near the mountains.  The lakes in Moses Cone would be awesome to skate.  There is nothing like getting on virgin ice at the crack of down when it's 5 degrees to shred on some blades, or to just soak in the scenery.

Pond skating tips:

* .I've skated on 1.75", but two inches is better.  When ice is only 1.5, it flexes about 2 inches when a skater rolls by.

*  Always confirm this thickness where the south hanging sun beats down on the ice.  Ice is always thinner to non existent in such areas.

*  Never skate when the temps are above freezing.

*  Test ice on a smaller pond before jumping on larger ponds or lakes.  Smaller ponds should have 5 inches of ice before one sets off onto larger ponds.

*  Don't skate solo.

Yallerhammer

Liquid water pretty much doesn't exist here right now in quantity. Some thawing yesterday, at least the French Broad isn't solid bank to bank now.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Michael Toris

Quote from: Onslow on January 08, 2018, 20:01:01 PM
Quote from: Phil on January 08, 2018, 10:56:20 AM
Linville Falls NC frozen. Last time was in 1978-9 and maybe in 1984.

I remember those years, particularly 78-79 in Maryland.  My father purchased a pile of ice skates in 76-77, and by 78-79, he had discovered the pleasure of pond and small lake skating.  My first skating outing was on Jameson Lake in Charles Cnty., and it was a night outing.  Most of the area lakes had around 8" of ice at the peak of the 78-79 cold snap.  Skated in the Piedmont of Carolina in 82, 84, and missed a chance in 94. 

The cold snap in 94 was rather impressive.  7 days consecutive days of sub freezing temps in the Triangle resulted in 3+ inches of ice.  This was probably the most significant pond ice event in the Triangle that I can recall.  Many skating ice events occure due to rain falling on a layer of pond ice, and then refreezing.  The 94 event was a solid freeze without the rain.

I've entertained the notion of buy skates for pond skating since I live near the mountains.  The lakes in Moses Cone would be awesome to skate.  There is nothing like getting on virgin ice at the crack of down when it's 5 degrees to shred on some blades, or to just soak in the scenery.

Pond skating tips:

* .I've skated on 1.75", but two inches is better.  When ice is only 1.5, it flexes about 2 inches when a skater rolls by.

*  Always confirm this thickness where the south hanging sun beats down on the ice.  Ice is always thinner to non existent in such areas.

*  Never skate when the temps are above freezing.

*  Test ice on a smaller pond before jumping on larger ponds or lakes.  Smaller ponds should have 5 inches of ice before one sets off onto larger ponds.

*  Don't skate solo.
Pretty much the same tips for ice fishing which I have done many times in SWVA.

driver

Ken. I'm glad you mentioned 94. I couldn't remember the year. I feel like there was a similar cold snap in 92.

Falls Lake on Monday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Phil

Let's go smallie fishing on the New. Video shot in Mouth of Wilson (not by me).

croaker

Always wanted to try some Mead. 
Couldn't find any to buy so, I started a 1 gallon batch in the middle of
November 2018.  Did primary and secondary fermentation tasted
and bottled (half regular and half carbonated) it a week or so back. 
Not bad, does have a little bite as it turned out at 15 % ABV. 

:o

Is drinkable now, though, it should mellow in a few months.

IMGP0002 by Don Edwards, on Flickr

Don't think it'll rival good stomp.

bd;0

Planning on bringing a couple pints to Shady Valley.
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.