Morning Hunt for Bugs and Friends

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, January 17, 2015, 15:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The neighborhood beagles and their masters were kind enough to let me tag along on their Sat. morning rabbit hunt.  The young lad killed two and all 7 beagles were retrieved.  The boy has the makings of one fine hunter.  His dad has taught him well.  What a hoot! 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

consumnfire1229

Very nice!  Why do you look like you are already retired?   -+;
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Beetle

Nice!   Do you guys spray paint phone numbers on the dogs in case they get lost?   Or is that just Nelson County?

benben reincarnated

Dougfish

I miss rabbit hunting. And beagles.  'c;

Big J

Very good Stephen. They also know how to cook a darn rabbit too!

flatlander

Tally ho! 

Damn, you need a haircut.  You're starting to look like Jerry Garcia.

jwgnc

A great day afield!  Second pic caught Fido on the fly - but it looks like he's pointing.

I'll bet the audio was fantastic too
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: consumnfire1229 on January 17, 2015, 16:50:02 PM
Why do you look like you are already retired?

I am mentally retired, and retarded.  I've never heard of painting #s dogs, Beetle.  These 7 had ID tags on their collars.  One beagle departed the pack halfway through the hunt and did not return until we were close to the truck.

And yes Flats, I do need a haircut – has not been this long since high school. 

I learned (or re-learned) much during the rabbit hunt.  It had been years.  The audio was spectacular as jwgnc noted.  I learned to recognize the individual howling of the 7, with the help from the owners.  And I'd forgotten how far ahead of the dogs the rabbit could appear.  Interesting:  The owner warned me to get ready when he released the beagles from their box.  He knows his dogs.  They jump to the ground, take a quick piss and shit, and they're off, nose to the ground and tails flapping.

The rabbit supper was fantastic.  The neighbors are teaching me to cook "good rabbit".

On a side note, it has bothered me for years that I did not know how to sew/repair leather/canvas, or even sew in general.  So, last evening I found a piece of leather and made a sheath for one of my modified Moras.  It turned out rough, with uneven and crooked seams, but it is knife worthy and it will do – slowly learning. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

tomato can

Nuthin wrong with some good dawg work!