The season starts in Twin Bridges

Started by twinbridges, April 18, 2017, 18:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinbridges

Well it is 2017 and time to get fishing.  Left NC for 4,000 mile plus sans interstate with my hound dog to Twin Bridges Mt.

Road trips, you love them or you hate them and I am of the former persuasion.  Long 16 day southerly loop to Phoenix and then right turn north to Twin.  Mostly great weather and a visual feast.

Arrived Twin last week having forgotten we left everything orderly.  Fantastic to open the door to your drift boat and fishing stuff finding everything in its right place and your boat clean!  Damn!

With opening house etc., only have fished two days.  Day one of the Big Hole from Silver Bridge to Maidenrock.  Great weather and about 16-20 nice trout to hand.  None bigger than 16" but what a great day to begin the season.

Day 2 today on the Jefferson from Parrott Castle to Mayflower.  Great weather but the fishing was not good.  Five or six small bows a die small  brown.  River  in great shape and some big March Browns happening but not good fishing.

But,  it is great to be in Montana, we are having snow often, snowpack good for now!  Life is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twinbridges

A couple of not impressive pics if I can figure it out.

twinbridges

Quote from: twinbridges on April 18, 2017, 18:51:31 PM
A couple of not impressive pics if I can figure it out.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

twinbridges

Not sure how any of this works but was directed to Tapatalks, made post but it is not here.  Are these two separate gigs?where how should I post.  Certainly don't plan to follow both.

jwgnc

I was just wondering when you were headed out there.  I haven't been west in years. 

Looking forward to your posts
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

twinbridges

It is very good to be back.  4000 mile meander with my hound dog and no interstates.

The west is magical.  Still getting some snow which is fantastic. 

Fished o e day on the Big Hole which was very good with a beautiful river and a good number of trout.  No big ones but a good day.

Today on the Jefferson and a nice day on the river but fishing was not easy for whatever reason even with March Browns sailing down the river,

Happy, very happy to be here.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: twinbridges on April 18, 2017, 21:05:31 PM
Not sure how any of this works but was directed to Tapatalks, made post but it is not here.  Are these two separate gigs?where how should I post.  Certainly don't plan to follow both.

Tapatalk is a mobile phone plug-in that "helps" in viewing the forum on a phone... some like it, some hate it, you don't have to use it...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

The posts were filed under Fergie's "Fly Fishing" thread. Maybe WB can move them? #Woolly Bugger
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

sanjuanwormhatch

Headed west in two weeks.  Glad to hear there's some fishable water after that winter.

sanjuanwormhatch

I don't know much about 'tana but I'm pretty sure the Jefferson and Big Hole are big, floating type rivers.  Have you hit any smaller water in the area?  What's it look like? 

twinbridges

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 19, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
I don't know much about 'tana but I'm pretty sure the Jefferson and Big Hole are big, floating type rivers.  Have you hit any smaller water in the area?  What's it look like?
Have not yet.  Upper Ruby likely still mostly frozen.  Will so the lower in a day o two.

sanjuanwormhatch

Let me know generally how it looks if you don't mind.

twinbridges

I have only fished a couple of times what we getting the house opened and doing the yard etc.   But Twinis coming to life for the season.  I was in short sleeves today doing yard work, loaded the drift boat to take to the dump up on the bench.  My hound dog was excited to see a heard of pronghorns as we went for her big run!

Late afternoon a soft rain in the valley has turned the lower elevation of the Tobacco Root mountains at about 6,000 feet white while the mountains from about 8'000 to 10,000 plus are solid with snow.

A small ranching and fishing town begins its new season.  Calves are hatched and laying in piles of alfalfa layers for their moms to eat,  local guides who live hear are rediscovering the rivers and anxiously await the season.  The guides who come for the season are packing up.

My boat, with the trash delivered is ready to go fishing.  It is early yet, but it feels very good!

twinbridges

And the after dinner Bushmill is pretty good!

jwgnc

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 19, 2017, 12:38:49 PM

My favorite to wade is the three dollar bridge area of the Madison.  Stop in at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone first.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.