over the hump trips!

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 15, 2020, 17:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Just saw this. Stealin my spots I had planned for tomorrow, eh?  :o

Just kidding. Noice for sure!  'c;

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

WC68

Wooly,
I was on Big Springs on the 14th as well...from about 9:45-1p or whenever the light rain started. Got out and thought about getting behind the pulse. Drove up to the dam to check it out, but decided I'd head back over the mountain and get home by 5:30 and drink a few beers.

Up on 421 where it gets really twisted, ran into some of the hardest rain I've driven in and then the Hail started. Beating the hell out of my truck..was really afraid it was going to dimple the whole thing. Luckily made it through fine.

Caught a few on emergers and even a caddis. Hope to get back one day this weekend. To make it $50.50.
Btw, how do you post pics here?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

June 25, 2020 #27

$101/4 = $25.25

Gas at $1.99/gal

Phil FB messaged me asking about the release times on the river and how long it takes to get to a certain spot. After I replied and gave him the info, he said he was planning to go and asked, "Wanna go"?

That kind of prompt is usually met with an OK but I had to think about it... I told him I would go if I got up in time, meaning being on the road no later than 6:30

Apparently I got enough sleep and I was out the door with an ETA of 9:05, 20 minutes ahead of the scheduled rendezvous and things were going along just fine, until I got to I-74 to cut across to I-77, it was CLOSED! WFT? Here is some NCDOT info https://drivenc.gov/default.aspx?type=incident&id=591069No detour info, just use US 52, gps didn't know the interstate was closed, and I made a na vigational error by thinking it wasn't shut down the entire way to 77. This cost me about 20 minutes in rerouting and I was seriously thinking about bailing on the trip.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Got to the location right on time, and it looked like Phil had just pulled in before me...

After rigging up we headed down to a productive riffle. I gave Phil the run that I considered to be the better of the two. I had never done very well in the other one.

I was still rigged up with a #16 Comparadun and I saw a few splashy rises. It didn't take too many cast to catch a fish.

Next cast another fish. The game was on and continued to be easy to score fish after fish in the cool cloudy morning.

The birds were flying in and snatching the sulfurs as they began their flight. I was studying the water and followed one as it struggled in the film and took off, as I watched it flutter a Cedar Waxwing swoop in,  locked onto the bug's path, it intercepted the flying insect with precision. I always find this to be amazing. 

I worked the run with long casts and had a lot of fun enticing these trout to take the fly. Most came to the net but I missed a few and broke off two with peppery hooksets.

When the sun came out, I thought things would get even better, but it was the opposite and the fish shut down in the run, but upon the flat water there were a number of fish still working the surface. It was a long-distance game, but I made the connection.

DSFK

Lunch is served, the TG's jalapeno hot sauce brings the heat, but the IPA puts the fire out. 
There was no need to go back out on the water, I knew it wouldn't be any better than the morning and the water would be rising shortly anyway.

It was great to see Phil and share the river for the day...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

What Woolly neglected to mention -- he gave me the good run and I did miserably. He whacked 'em and I struggled to catch a few. I'm just not a durn tailwater fisherman, I guess -- too many hours spent on little brookie and freestone streams!  b';      :laugh:  :laugh:

Good to see and talk to another human, Woolly. Thanks for sharing the water with me!

Dougfish

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Phil

I was planning on a trip to VA, but it didn't work out  Sooo -- I decided to go to the SoHo, knowing that I suck at tailwater stuff.  Called Woolly to get info, he said he might come. Cool.

Woolly in action.

This don't look like a brookie stream. What do I DO???  :o

Representative of my 3 little fish while Woolly was whackin' em upstream. Every time I looked up his durn rod was bent.  b';  :bow

Woolly Bugger

July 1, 2020 #28

$101/5 = $20.20

Gas $2.09

Sometimes you go fishing because the conditions are perfect, sometimes you go just because you can. The tailwater is calling me and despite short wading times due to early dam releases, I headed over hoping for a repeat of my last visit.

I was five minutes from home when realized that I forgot the TG-6 camera, I almost turned back but figures I could use the phone instead, not wanting to shorten the time on the water as the generation flow would hit at two.
After gearing up I realize that I also had forgotten to pack my wading staff, or "old man stick" as some of my friends call it. Well damn, the snot covered bowling balls the make up this streambed make wading treacherous.  The morning pulse arrived just as I got in the water, there were a few risers in the flat water and I targeted and caught a couple of them before moving on down to the run where I had great success the other day. But it wasn't happening today. No risers in the run and no bug on the water, the birds were working but once the pulse arrived they disappeared. There was a stain to the water and low visibility didn't help the wading situation either. After catching a few rainbows, I moved on downriver to see if I could find some feeding fish.

Tossed a streamer for a while, better than bobber watching and similar results. I wasn't pleased with the conditions of the day, so I sat on the bank and watched the sky and listened to the rushing water, and waited for the pulse to recede. When I spotted fish rising I went after them and picked off small rainbows feeding at the edge of the current as I worked my way to the top of the run. One nicer fish, a brown, took the fly and put up a good fight aided by the fast water. Best fish of the day at 14 inches.

Punes all day...

Photo fail: I can't hold a fish and take a photo with the phone.

Photo fail #2

This is the brown... Photo fail #3

Finished up the afternoon fishing the flat water casting a puff daddy to sporadically rising fish. One better fish bolted on the hookset and broke me off, proving to me that blood knots are better than surgeon knots. I quit at two, just as the water was coming up. After walking back to the car I entertained the idea of swinging flies on the high water, but not having a wading staff to help navigate I thought better of it and headed back home.
Not the best day on the water, but I really can't complain....

DSFK

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

itieuglyflies

The doll head photo wins as the creepiest shot of the year....

bmadd

You cannot view this attachment.
Blood knots for life

Woolly Bugger

July 9, 2020 #29

$101/6  = $16.83

Gas $2.09

RiverBum sent a text declaring that he was "eyeballing the soho Thursday if nothing comes up"
I replied with the thumbs up. But I guess that wasn't good enough for him as he cryptically replied, "I assume you are not interested"

I've been to the Smith on Tuesday and Wednesday swinging flies on the Echo Trout Spey. On Tuesday I worked the Bassett "Library" run hard without a hookup but after moving down to The Great Road access I finally got grabs and caught a couple of stocked rainbows.

First spraypole fishy

The grab and tug are addictive so I went back on Wednesday evening to swing again at The Great Road. I had a few grabs early on by failed to hook a fish despite my improving casting. On my second pass through the run I switched to a heavier tip and changed flies. Right off I realized the heavy sink tip was messing up my cast and my timing was off and I had to make some adjustment. Still no fish. Oh well, there will be another day.
That day was Thursday and I was out the door at 6:15 for the 2:40 drive to meet up with the Riverbum.

He was almost an hour ahead of me and was fishing away when I arrived. We were low holed on the river but had some good water to work. I was still rigged up with a sulfur emerger and took four fish on that fly before it was chewed to pieces.

Caught a few more before Bum and I snuck around and low holed the low holer. We didn't have much luck down there but I did manage a few on the dry.

We took a lunch break and I discovered that the Bum doesn't like sardines! He does, however, like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. (he took the lunch photos)

We then worked the risers in the flat water. I fooled a few with a #18 puff daddy.

Bum had enough punage and abuse and split around two. I stayed until about four, when the heat of the day took its toll and I retreated to the comfort of the car's AC, but not before I enticed a few more trouts to rise to the comparadun.

me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

Good show gents. Do I see Riverbum with a net? Thought he preferred using his hat.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on July 10, 2020, 14:18:14 PMGood show gents. Do I see Riverbum with a net? Thought he preferred using his hat.

That hat caught brookie might have been bigger than the SoHo trouts that were caught
me -There's a season?

RiverbumCO

Like Keith said, fish were caught but it was far from a banner day....no bugs.

Keith did proceed to school me on the flat, picking up a few risers that i could only spook.

My big fish was maybe a 15" rainbow but it got off at the net.

My real name is Chad Farthouse.