Smith River Sampling

Started by Al, July 11, 2016, 18:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I am going to assist with sampling of lower river in the morning. Will try to get  some cellphone photos to post as we go along. Big photo dump will have to wait until I get home to regular computer.

Al

Going to try a test photo with this cellphone. Got some deer on the edge of lawn, - nope, file is too big. So much for that. You'll have to wait until I get home.

Woolly Bugger

Al try posting through the tapatalk app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Big fish from today was 23 inches.

Going to hit from Kohler to Doe Run tomorrow. That section has never been sampled  should be interesting

TroutMedic

Al is there any more room for tag alongs

Al

Quote from: TroutMedic on July 13, 2016, 00:06:04 AM
Al is there any more room for tag alongs

[/quote

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, next time but you have to furnish your own canoe or kayak.

Big fish for today was just shy of 25. Photos when I get home.

Al

Here are a few photos from this weeks sampling

Al

Couple photos from the 2nd day (Kohler to Doe Run)

Woolly Bugger

I've got to float this river more often

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

Michael Toris

George is showing some age on him

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 15, 2016, 12:11:15 PM
I've got to float this river more often

Currently looks like coffee and cream at the 58 bypass. 

Al

FYI -

For you guys with rafts or even small drift boats - There is a unimproved ramp just down from the Fieldale Bridge on road that goes to old sewer plant.   You should have a 4 WD but it is very doable to launch a boat. Getting through the Koelar Islands would be your only "bony" water at the current flows. Should be good fishing for at least 2/3 the way to the Doe Run ramp, which is a ramp you can back right into to pull your rig out with no problem.

Not sure what the fishing would be for the last  1/3 distance because it was too wide and too deep for good sampling with the raft - check back with me in about  a month because we are going to bring a jet boat with high power electronic gear to check it out. This week's run was the first time anyone had gone down that way with sampling gear - now that we know what it looks like George says we should be able to launch at Doe Run with a jet boat and drive all the way up to behind Hill Memorial Church and sample in less then half the time and less effort.

OK, this is the last tidbit I am going to post on open forum

IFStultz

This is by no means a personal attack on Al but, I Wish they would fuck off with shocking fish and just do more patrolling. There are people that will take 30 fish a day out of there and as soon as they hear about this all those big fish will be caught and taken. If they make these samples public you might as well draw the bait chunkers a map to the fish. They have canoes and the ability to access these spots now.

Onslow

Quote from: IFStultz on July 18, 2016, 09:57:04 AM
This is by no means a personal attack on Al but, I Wish they would fuck off with shocking fish and just do more patrolling. There are people that will take 30 fish a day out of there and as soon as they hear about this all those big fish will be caught and taken. If they make these samples public you might as well draw the bait chunkers a map to the fish. They have canoes and the ability to access these spots now.

Do you have evidence to support your claims?