it's Kyle's fault... that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 19, 2010, 22:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Kyle's recent TR about kyped browns and whiskey made me long for a nip of liquor streamside. I headed out of town, I've been trying to go all week, but one thing after another keep me at work, on Friday to hit this special little river. I stopped in at the local ABC store and searched the isle for an appropriate bottle, choices, Markers Mark, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or a Scotch, something smoky with an earthy peaty taste. I didn't see my usual brand, Glenmorangie, as I was about to purchase the rare breed the cashier asked if I had found what I was looking for. When I mentioned that they didn't have any Gelnmorangie, he pointed out a sampler pack! Cool, four 100 ml bottles, perfect!

My brother passed away last October, his ashes are still on the mantle downstairs. He wanted his ashes to be spread to the wind, but because of many reasons I've not gotten around to it. I've thought about putting his ashes in the river where I once found a copper fish hanging from a tree branch which dipped into the cold water marking the remains of another angler. I thought that by spreading his ashes in the stream I would remember him in this special place tucked deep in the remote gorge.

When I arrived at the river I noticed that the flow was double if not triple from the usually steady norm.  I thought that it would be easy to wade and began the hike into the gorge after tucking a bottle of
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or  into my jacket.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Only a few insects were visible flying about, BWOs and midges, the water ran fast through the pools and runs, there was no hope a rise. #18 PTN with a #20 BWO dropper, and a BB shot.

I worked the usually productive pools but the increased flow forced the trout to the bottom or to parts unknown. I worked my way upstream and approached another likely spot, studied the braided current and dropped the nymph rig in what appeared to be the most likely holding spot. As I followed the drift there was a bump and stumble, I thought bottom for a second, no it's a fish! Strike, shit, I missed it! 

I took a few pictures and then decided to take a sip of the Glenmorangie, but first another photo. As I was setting up the shot, I dropped the bottle cap into a deep run and watched it tumble away out of reach. 

I took a sip of the Scotch, smooth as silk it gently warmed the pallet with a citrus and honey note.  Having lost the cap there was no other choice than to finish the bottle.  Between nips I worked the water. I set the bottle down and worked and worked a deep pool. The water  cascaded down over the submerged trees at the head and the branches were obscured by the depth and turbulence.  I cast my line, leader , tippet and flies across the current to the seam between the branches. The drift was swift but the sudden pause caused me to set the hook and I had a brown on the end of the line.

I finished the 100ml bottle of Scotch and reflected on the day, my lost brother, and others who have passed on. 

I continued upstream, but I didn't need to catch any more fish, I just enjoyed the stream, and the solitude. I'll be back again soon enough when the water is back down to its normal flow and I will find the fish holding in the usual spots once again.

Wild water abides.

So it does.

a little HDR attempt... tripod might help...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Good stuff Keith.    That's all I can say.  Give the old girl Sally a pat for me.  I know she would have loved being there with you and your brother.

0:0

blue ridge angler

rjs123

mecnc

diaz dassie

Respect Wollaiye Buggar!Glenners is some good chit. No Talisker? Fek, I gots to get u well versed with that  Scottish shit :D

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on November 19, 2010, 22:25:42 PM
Good stuff Keith.    That's all I can say.  Give the old girl Sally a pat for me.  I know she would have loved being there with you and your brother.

0:0

notice how I didn't mention anything about poachers....
me -There's a season?

Rhody

nice report, thanks for taking us with you, made me think about some folks
rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

kylemc

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!