For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

200 yards?? That's friggin' awesome shooting.  bd;0

<Regretting my post/pic of  my "scattergun" results>

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on October 19, 2018, 07:51:30 AM
Is that 5 shot group at 200 yards or 100 yards?  If that is a 100 yard group, that is really good.  If it is a 200 yard group, I'm going to ask what you did to the 700 to get those results.

That is 200yds off a bench. I usually have a sandbag, but I just rolled up the case and stuck it under the forearm. 

I used to shoot 600yds with this gun.  I always wanted to step up to 1,000yds, but the $$$ was out of my range at the time.  And I've never had time to develop hand loads.

Sold the Jewel trigger, re-worked the stock one; sold the competition stock setup, put a Magpul hunter on it (after years of running it with the factory wood that I glass-bedded); kept the receiver and bolt and put a new scope on it.

She's a tack driver.

One day I'll build a 1,000 yd gun . . . maybe.

Saw a big doe the other evening after bush hogging at a friend's farm.  She was 350+ yds away and if I had a tag, I would have thought about it. 

But probably not taken the shot.  I haven't put anything downrange at that distance in years and I hate to wound deer.  If I can't be confident it will fall where I shoot it, I'm probably not taking the shot.

I hate chasing deer.  I usually take head shots.  Never going to take anything to a taxidermist.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

If you are getting that kind of accuracy out of a .30-06 700, you should be able to hit a 16 inch plate at 1,000 yards.  I'm impressed.  I haven't stretched the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor  out yet (been a busy year) but I'd be happy if it shot that good at 200 yards.

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on October 19, 2018, 09:35:00 AM
If you are getting that kind of accuracy out of a .30-06 700, you should be able to hit a 16 inch plate at 1,000 yards.  I'm impressed.  I haven't stretched the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor  out yet (been a busy year) but I'd be happy if it shot that good at 200 yards.

Best I have shot is 5" groups at 600yds. Not really consistently, either.  Human-sized targets - yes. 

That doesn't really translate into 16" groups at 1,000.  Too many variables at that distance to be consistent. 

Lots of folks are loving the 6.5 Creedmoor guns.  If it doesn't shoot that well at 200, I'll be shocked.  If not, bench time will fix that.  Breathing, trigger control, good optics, and hand loading are the solutions to long shots.  Today's manufacturing tolerances are much better than they used to be.  Ammunition is better than it ever has been.

Accurizing, blueprinting, etc isn't necessary for long shots like it used to be. 

If I wanted a long-range hunting rifle these days, I would save my pennies and have a Jarrett built.  Long Ranger or find a good used action and have them make a Beanfield model.

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/rifle-models.html

I've sunk all my gun time and money into sporting clays the last several years.  I enjoy it more and spend more time with friends that way.  And teaching and coaching in the discipline is much more enjoyable than poking holes in paper to me.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Phil

Getting better -- this is a rapid fire/multiple mags from today at 10 yards. Had 3 strays, but almost all are getting there.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Phil

Hey Big J -- I got a little brother (from a different mother) to go with my Shield 9 -- shoots really well from 10 yards in. I wear it undetected even when playing music in front of people, it's so little.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 09:03:56 AM
Saw a big doe the other evening after bush hogging at a friend's farm.  She was 350+ yds away and if I had a tag, I would have thought about it. 

Quote from: rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 11:58:21 AM
Best I have shot is 5" groups at 600yds. Not really consistently, either.  Human-sized targets - yes. 

Just caught up reading this thread.

Where do you live that has a gun season on 19 Oct for deer?
And considering "human-sized targets"? 
You guys are frightening me!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Phil on December 22, 2018, 16:24:26 PM
Hey Big J -- I got a little brother (from a different mother) to go with my Shield 9 -- shoots really well from 10 yards in. I wear it undetected even when playing music in front of people, it's so little.

Look at you Phil going .380 on us. LCP II is my most carried gun these days. Love that little gun and the trigger blows me a way for a stock pocket .380. Recommend Hornady Critical Defense for ammo. Good expansion and penetration for a .380.  V:;

Al

Quote from: Big J on December 22, 2018, 19:59:50 PM
Quote from: Phil on December 22, 2018, 16:24:26 PM

Look at you Phil going .380 on us. LCP II is my most carried gun these days. Love that little gun and the trigger blows me a way for a stock pocket .380. Recomend Hornady Critical Defense for ammo. Good expansion and penetration for a .380.  V:;

I recently traded my LCP for the LCP 2 based on you guys recomendation - there is a world of difference in the triggers. All of my old holsters still work which is a big plus - I am holster poor :embarassed: .  2nd the motion on Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Phil

Yeah man, the Ruger LCP II is a sweet little gun. Have you guys read up on the Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo? Not a hollow point due to .380 penetration concerns. Worth a look -- https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/380-acp-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865927761977

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

36 pages!!!   Yes I know, it does not rival the 182 pages of "The smitage of The Dude".   But, it makes me reason that we are undeniably in love with our guns.   And this is a fishing site.  I wonder if 'For the love of rods' would garner 36 pages? 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Sure, Muddy. Why don't you start one? I didn't know some guys here liked fishing rods as well.  -+;

Big J

Quote from: Phil on December 23, 2018, 07:35:32 AM
Yeah man, the Ruger LCP II is a sweet little gun. Have you guys read up on the Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo? Not a hollow point due to .380 penetration concerns. Worth a look -- https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/380-acp-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865927761977

Xtreme defender and Xtreme penetrator is on my list of approved ammo for .380. Just never have seen them in the store and Hornady Critical Defense is widely available.  All the ballistic test I've seen seem to show 13" of penetration and about .50" expanded with the 90 grain Hornady Critical Defense. I think the Extreme Defenders are around the 18" mark of penetration if memory serves. Both are solid choices.

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 23, 2018, 10:58:53 AM
36 pages!!!   Yes I know, it does not rival the 182 pages of "The smitage of The Dude".   But, it makes me reason that we are undeniably in love with our guns.   And this is a fishing site.  I wonder if 'For the love of rods' would garner 36 pages?

I could do a tutorial on old fiberglass from the 50's and continue to skew the numbers downward?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

Quote from: Dougfish on December 23, 2018, 18:05:38 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 23, 2018, 10:58:53 AM

I could do a tutorial on old fiberglass from the 50's and continue to skew the numbers downward?

What about going a little further back to greenheart rods?  I'd honestly be curious how one of those would cast, besides being heavy compared to today's graphite...

On the guns topic, have carried both my Stevens 311 and Ruger Red Label this year, both are great to take on hunts.  Picked up a Vedder holster for my P365, really enjoying that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk