As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Grannyknot on February 08, 2018, 14:58:01 PM
Quote from: JMiller on February 08, 2018, 11:42:53 AM
So yea, a lot of turkey hunters especially are moving to 20s now because the factory loads available are so good, there's no reason to beat the shit out of yourself with 3.5" 12 gauge mag loads.

Lot of guys are just using 870 youth models, and maybe adding a pistol grip to them. They work great, don't cost a lot at all.

Personally, Ive been wanting a single shot  because my eldest son is 6 now, and can participate in the youth hunts. I typically hunt break actions anyway and want him to get in the habit of using guns and being safe.  These dont weigh a lot, and dont produce hardly any recoil, so it should be a good fit.

Plus I have the option of getting other barrels, so there's that.

I don't turkey hunt, but recently traded one of my old guns for an 870 12ga.
I've only shot clays with it so far, but it seems pretty heavy for walking around in the woods, which i'd like to start doing again.
My son is almost 7, so i'm considering an 870 20ga, maybe compact, for my walkabout gun that can eventually be his first gun.

there's an upland version of the 870.  I don't know exactly what that means but one trait I would want out of a gun marketed specifically for upland hunting is that it's lighter. 

Again, far from an expert. 

Dougfish

If you know Grannyknot, everything is heavy to him.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 08, 2018, 15:50:40 PM
So yea, a lot of turkey hunters especially are moving to 20s now because the factory loads available are so good, there's no reason to beat the shit out of yourself with 3.5" 12 gauge mag loads.

Lot of guys are just using 870 youth models, and maybe adding a pistol grip to them. They work great, don't cost a lot at all.

Personally, Ive been wanting a single shot  because my eldest son is 6 now, and can participate in the youth hunts. I typically hunt break actions anyway and want him to get in the habit of using guns and being safe.  These dont weigh a lot, and dont produce hardly any recoil, so it should be a good fit.

I've only shot clays with it so far, but it seems pretty heavy for walking around in the woods, which i'd like to start doing again.
My son is almost 7, so i'm considering an 870 20ga, maybe compact, for my walkabout gun that can eventually be his first gun.

there's an upland version of the 870.  I don't know exactly what that means but one trait I would want out of a gun marketed specifically for upland hunting is that it's lighter. 

870 Wingmaster includes an upgraded wood stock over the standard laminate one.  It also includes a finer finished barrel and receiver, over the standard version.  They are great shotguns regardless of the configuration.  I have an old Stevens 311 20 gauge, and it too is a great American made gun, easily found on the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: Dougfish on February 08, 2018, 17:34:17 PM
If you know Grannyknot, everything is heavy.

Underrated post

Grannyknot

Quote from: Dougfish on February 08, 2018, 17:34:17 PM
If you know Grannyknot, everything is heavy to him.

UNCALLED FOR   n!n
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: ryguy on February 08, 2018, 19:57:19 PM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 08, 2018, 15:50:40 PM

870 Wingmaster includes an upgraded wood stock over the standard laminate one.  It also includes a finer finished barrel and receiver, over the standard version.  They are great shotguns regardless of the configuration.  I have an old Stevens 311 20 gauge, and it too is a great American made gun, easily found on the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that's what i was going for.  i want to get one of those at some point.  my son is 5 so he's got a little ways but might be his first gun.

JMiller

Just my opinion, but if you're taking/teaching kids, I would advise a break action gun.

Doesn't have to be some $2,000 bejeweled masterpiece, even a NEF Pardner single, or some of the new Turkish O/Us are excellent quality. ATI, CZ, etc. Nice and light.
No barrel plugs come dove season, no fumbling to get all the shells out the mag tube. 

Very easy to tell if it's loaded and ready to shoot. If not actively hunting, everyone stands around with actions OPEN, everyone can see everyone is safe.

Nothing against pumps at all I own one, but you can't be too safe.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Phil

Quote from: JMiller on February 09, 2018, 11:14:05 AM
Just my opinion, but if you're taking/teaching kids, I would advise a break action gun.

Doesn't have to be some $2,000 bejeweled masterpiece, even a NEF Pardner single, or some of the new Turkish O/Us are excellent quality. ATI, CZ, etc. Nice and light.
No barrel plugs come dove season, no fumbling to get all the shells out the mag tube. 

Very easy to tell if it's loaded and ready to shoot. If not actively hunting, everyone stands around with actions OPEN, everyone can see everyone is safe.

^^ I heartily agree.

rbphoto

Quote from: Phil on February 09, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

^^ I heartily agree.

As do I, but I also heartily stress covering a safety briefing with new shooters and all young people. 

I coach a youth shotgun team and safety is the first thing we cover every time before we touch the guns.  Get to the point they volunteer to cover the safety information and can do it from start to finish and then I start to have some confidence they might not shoot anyone when they get excited.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

sanjuanwormhatch

all good points.  break action gun it is.

speaking of recently heard someone raving (relatively) about yildiz for their price.   crowd sourced reviews are about as reliable as a wet fart but I did find it interesting they pretty consistently got good reviews.  $399 for the 20. 

Grannyknot

good info, thanks.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

rbphoto

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 09, 2018, 14:02:03 PM

speaking of recently heard someone raving (relatively) about yildiz for their price.   crowd sourced reviews are about as reliable as a wet fart but I did find it interesting they pretty consistently got good reviews.  $399 for the 20.

Q/A is spotty on them, from what I have seen.

Semi's struggle to function properly; bolt closers are super stiff; O/U's barrels do not always have the same Point of Impact (POI), firing pin issues, etc.  They are also aluminum receivers, which means they are great for most field use but do not count on them being multi-generational guns.  Buy them, shoot them 'til the kid outgrows them, sell them and buy something more durable.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Michael Toris

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 09, 2018, 14:02:03 PM

Not sure if they are still available or how much, but I have a Baikal izh-27 20ga that is the tits for around $500. Light and throws up well. Was my grouse gun when grouse still existed.

tomato can

If your buying a shotgun you should check out some used guns.  There are some nice Ithaca 37's out there for a decent price.   You can find good Uggies, AyA etc for decent prices also if you are into double barrel stuff.  I can carry my 16 gage Ithaca all day in the grouse woods and really that is all I do is carry the dang thing.

Yallerhammer

I think it's hard to beat the Stevens in the cheaper O/U shotguns.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff