News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2018, 07:33:58 AM

I'll be curious how this 1911 runs. Heard these Colts can be ammo picky.

If you get the chance, find a Series 70

However, there are some great tips & tricks on making 1911's run consistently and smoothly.

What are your plans for it?
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

I'm not real sure it needs much.  Has a Chandler Arms Recoilmaster guide rod and spring, Wilson Combat trigger, Wilson Combat backstrap and hammer.  Bet the trigger is a 2 lb pull.  You barely touch the trigger and it breaks.  Kind of scary, but it'll be just a range gun.  Has original box, paperwork, and all the original parts that were replaced.  Going to run some hollow points thru it to just see how well it feeds and if it has some ammo preferences.  From my limited reading, JHP, seem to be disliked by these 1911's.

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2018, 08:45:42 AM
I'm not real sure it needs much.  Has a Chandler Arms Recoilmaster guide rod and spring, Wilson Combat trigger, Wilson Combat backstrap and hammer.  Bet the trigger is a 2 lb pull.  You barely touch the trigger and it breaks.  Kind of scary, but it'll be just a range gun.  Has original box, paperwork, and all the original parts that were replaced.  Going to run some hollow points thru it to just see how well it feeds and if it has some ammo preferences.  From my limited reading, JHP, seem to be disliked by these 1911's.

Look for a square bottom firing pin stop.  That will allow you to fine tune your recoil.

I'm not certain Wilson makes a square FPS for a Series 80, but EGW does:  http://www.egwguns.com/firing-pin-stops/

Just don't take a dremel to the the feed ramp.  Leave that part of the timing to a pro.
Raymond

"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

ryguy

Mine has some hammer bite on occasion.
I'm happy about the P320, it's a nice pistol and I am looking forward to shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: rbphoto on January 29, 2018, 10:06:50 AM

Look for a square bottom firing pin stop.  That will allow you to fine tune your recoil.

I'm not certain Wilson makes a square FPS for a Series 80, but EGW does:  http://www.egwguns.com/firing-pin-stops/

Just don't take a dremel to the the feed ramp.  Leave that part of the timing to a pro.
Raymond

May be a dumb question, but how does the FPS correlate to recoil management?

And doubt I'd ever use a dremel to the feed ramp, but know taking a scotch brite pad to the feed ramp to polish it will help it feed a little better.  Just need to put some rounds thru it and see if it needs it.  Gun doesn't appear to have been shot much and still a tight gun.

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2018, 13:29:55 PM
Quote from: rbphoto on January 29, 2018, 10:06:50 AM

Raymond

Lots of reasons.

1.  Reduces extractor movement
2.  Browning's original design was modified for speed, not reliability.
3. oh, just read these:

http://rangehot.com/reduced-radius-firing-pin-stop-1911/

http://www.dlsports.com/locking_1911_firing_pin_stop.html

http://oldglorygunsmith.blogspot.com/2014/09/issues-concerning-m1911-firing-pin-stop.html

Raymond

May be a dumb question, but how does the FPS correlate to recoil management?

And doubt I'd ever use a dremel to the feed ramp, but know taking a scotch brite pad to the feed ramp to polish it will help it feed a little better.  Just need to put some rounds thru it and see if it needs it.  Gun doesn't appear to have been shot much and still a tight gun.

Big J

Well thanks for the links, I learned a lot.  I'll check mine when I get back. 

JMiller

My new T/C Encore Pro Hunter single shot 20 gauge. Added the scope, but I've never had one on a shotty before.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

Quote from: JMiller on February 08, 2018, 10:45:20 AM
My new T/C Encore Pro Hunter single shot 20 gauge. Added the scope, but I've never had one on a shotty before.

thats cool.  i'm in the market for a 20ga right now.
although not quite at the t/c price point  :embarassed:
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

JMiller

So yea, a lot of turkey hunters especially are moving to 20s now because the factory loads available are so good, there's no reason to beat the shit out of yourself with 3.5" 12 gauge mag loads.

Lot of guys are just using 870 youth models, and maybe adding a pistol grip to them. They work great, don't cost a lot at all.

Personally, Ive been wanting a single shot  because my eldest son is 6 now, and can participate in the youth hunts. I typically hunt break actions anyway and want him to get in the habit of using guns and being safe.  These dont weigh a lot, and dont produce hardly any recoil, so it should be a good fit.

Plus I have the option of getting other barrels, so there's that.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Figure with the boards trend lately, I should bring this to your attention.

driver

I've always laughed at duck hunters that tell me the shoot 3.5s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Native Fisher

The biggest stomp I ever got from a shotgun was shooting 3" buckshot loads in a very lightweight 20 gauge double.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'm not an expert on guns but I have an 870 12ga for turkeys and have been happy with it.  It's a beast but it's also a few hundred bucks. 

Grannyknot

Quote from: JMiller on February 08, 2018, 11:42:53 AM
So yea, a lot of turkey hunters especially are moving to 20s now because the factory loads available are so good, there's no reason to beat the shit out of yourself with 3.5" 12 gauge mag loads.

Lot of guys are just using 870 youth models, and maybe adding a pistol grip to them. They work great, don't cost a lot at all.

Personally, Ive been wanting a single shot  because my eldest son is 6 now, and can participate in the youth hunts. I typically hunt break actions anyway and want him to get in the habit of using guns and being safe.  These dont weigh a lot, and dont produce hardly any recoil, so it should be a good fit.

Plus I have the option of getting other barrels, so there's that.

I don't turkey hunt, but recently traded one of my old guns for an 870 12ga.
I've only shot clays with it so far, but it seems pretty heavy for walking around in the woods, which i'd like to start doing again.
My son is almost 7, so i'm considering an 870 20ga, maybe compact, for my walkabout gun that can eventually be his first gun.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.