News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on December 19, 2017, 19:19:02 PM

Since there isn't much fishing on her lately........

New to me rifle. Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Been wanting to try out some long range shooting with this caliber.

You fell for the "fashion cartridge" of the last few years, and joined the 6.5 love fest.

Now go see Scott up at quail ridge in Lexington and get him to show you how to shoot long range.  He knows his stuff.

https://www.quailridgesportingclub.com/copy-of-3d-archery

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/NC/20050516/News/606075532/HT/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 20, 2017, 10:14:48 AM

You fell for the "fashion cartridge" of the last few years, and joined the 6.5 love fest.

Now go see Scott up at quail ridge in Lexington and get him to show you how to shoot long range.  He knows his stuff.

https://www.quailridgesportingclub.com/copy-of-3d-archery

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/NC/20050516/News/606075532/HT/

I know absolutely nothing about long distance shooting.  I plan on taking a course with bangsteel in Wytheville.  I had interest a few years back but lost it. Scott (Consumnfire) reignited my interest. 

streamereater_101691

6.5 creedmoor is a good round that packs good muzzle velocity and trajectory

300 win mag and .308(7.62) are more suited for long range IMO..more power,heavier bullet, less spin and wind drift..etc..

1000yds ins't out of the question with good optics/steady rest/good mechanics..emphasis on all three of those

IMO, its a awesome coyote gun because of the near 300 win mag velocities it will spit out

Dougfish

Guess I need to get the old .308 Win cleaned up. Bang, bang.  -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

I used to work at a 1000yd range. Most everyone shot .308 and .243 with .243 being the majority. But that was 20+ years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ryguy

Looked at the website for Bang Steel.  Looks like a really fun class.  I'd need a scope upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

.300 winmag is a hell of a round. Witnessed my dad stone a nice buck at over 500yds a couple of years ago with a winmag.

NCsporksman

Shot a 6.5 suppressed rig at Uwharrie the other day, it was le tits

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: NCsporksman on December 20, 2017, 22:59:20 PM
Shot a 6.5 suppressed rig at Uwharrie the other day, it was le tits

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

The 6.5 suppressed sounds fun.  Bet it takes a lot of the bark out of it.

I think a lot of the Competition guys are using 6mm sized rounds these days.  .308 can hit at 1,000, but drops a lot more than the new 6mm rounds from what I've read.  Also read that 6.5 handles wind better than the .308.  If I was deer hunting though, I think I'd go .308 all the way.  This is all from research and not experience though.  But it was found on the internet, so it has to be true.

.300 win mag and .388 lapua are good long rang options as well, but be prepared for more kick. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I am not a great shot, and I am not convinced any school/training and/or rifle/caliber would make me a great long range shooter.    I believe there are some innate qualities to great long range shots.

I've witnessed some unbelievable long shots for these neck-of-the-woods.  I saw a 300 yd + shot with a lever action .25-35 Winchester.  Relatives were some of the first to hunt from trees around here.   They built permanent stands from pressure treated lumber on NF (no longer legal) on north facing slopes and shot over deep hollows at very long distances to the south facing hills.  They froze their asses off, being in the shade so much, BUT they made some unbelievable shots with a .308 – even practiced before season by painting and shooting rocks on the south hills and watching with good glass to see if they were accurate.   

I am a believer in inherent talent/skill over caliber or equipment. 

We (family) have too many 7mm-08s to think of something new.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

The greatest shot I ever witnessed was my Grandfather dropping a running deer at 105 yds. with a 12 ga. slug. Brother has that Browning today.  bd;0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

As for local deer hunting. .270 for long range, or 30-30 for in the woods.

30-30s are a highly underrated gun.

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on December 21, 2017, 15:57:14 PM
As for local deer hunting. .270 for long range, or 30-30 for in the woods.

30-30s are a highly underrated gun.

So is the .270. I would take it over just about any caliber out there (sans .300win)

streamereater_101691

Good shooting mechanics rule caliber every time. I'm of the old school opinion of buying a weapon to fill multiple purposes. Target shooting is fine at 250-1000yds, but I like to have the opportunity to hunt the same rifle as well. Having a rifle that'll reach that far(accurately) requires a lot of time put in with many rounds sent down range.

I shot the new ruger precision in 6.5mm last week and I still would revert back to my remington 700 .300 win mag just because I've had so much time behind it. Theres a reason chris kyle selected the cartridge as well ;D

Phil

I've never shot the 6.5, so cannot comment on it. Had a lot of military experience with the 7.62 X 51, which is pretty much the same as a 308. Also shot a 308 civilian gun some. Gets the job done. The 300 mag has a little more bang, but is also similar.  For shooting at something other than targets....