News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grannyknot

Big J, i wasn't paying close enough attention to the video to notice what you were shooting and i thought it was one of those high powered pellet rifles.
Thats 100% bad ass.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Big J on May 31, 2017, 12:29:36 PM
Quote from: hcrum87hc on May 31, 2017, 11:38:32 AM

The image/video is blocked here at work, but based on the 10 months comment, I'm assuming it's a suppressor or other NFA item.  Good stuff if so.  I have a SilencerCo Omega on my .300blk SBR.  Subsonics are a lot of fun with that set up.

Correct. It's a .22 suppressor so it's very quiet. Heard good things about .300blk suppressed. Heck a supressor company designed that cartridge.  Good luck on that wait, it's painful waiting that long. Once the wait times go back down I think I'll pick up a 30 cal can.

I think I waited about 8 months on mine, but that was a couple of years ago.  With subs, my .300blk sounds somewhere between a .22lr and a pellet rifle.  With supers, it sounds about like an unsuppressed .22lr.  I'd like to pick up a .22lr and a 9mm or .45 suppressor as well to round out my collection.  I'm waiting to see what happens with upcoming legislation before I make the leap.
Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Quote from: hcrum87hc on June 01, 2017, 06:34:08 AM

I think I waited about 8 months on mine, but that was a couple of years ago.  With subs, my .300blk sounds somewhere between a .22lr and a pellet rifle.  With supers, it sounds about like an unsuppressed .22lr.  I'd like to pick up a .22lr and a 9mm or .45 suppressor as well to round out my collection.  I'm waiting to see what happens with upcoming legislation before I make the leap.

For some reason I thought you said you ordered it and was waiting on it still.  I filed my tax stamp thru a trust before they changed the filing process for NFA trust back in July last year.  Wait times early 2016 got down to 3 to 4 months. Rumor has it that once the ATF catches up on the June/July suppressor buys, the wait times will be back down to 3 to 4 months or shorter.  No one is buying suppressors right now because they are waiting for that hearing protection act to pass.  I don't think the bill will make it to the floor this year from everything I've read.  Here is an article on Silencer Shop mailing out $2 million worth of NFA stamps in a day back when there was a big push before the regislation change on NFA trust.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/13/silencer-shop-sends-2m-worth-of-nfa-stamp-applications/

troutfanatic

better to make them yourself and not have government paper trail.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Big J on June 01, 2017, 08:00:22 AM
For some reason I thought you said you ordered it and was waiting on it still.  I filed my tax stamp thru a trust before they changed the filing process for NFA trust back in July last year.  Wait times early 2016 got down to 3 to 4 months. Rumor has it that once the ATF catches up on the June/July suppressor buys, the wait times will be back down to 3 to 4 months or shorter.  No one is buying suppressors right now because they are waiting for that hearing protection act to pass.  I don't think the bill will make it to the floor this year from everything I've read.  Here is an article on Silencer Shop mailing out $2 million worth of NFA stamps in a day back when there was a big push before the regislation change on NFA trust.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/13/silencer-shop-sends-2m-worth-of-nfa-stamp-applications/

Yeah, my SBR only took a few months to get approved, but I did it as a form 1 and "built" up the lower instead of buying a full rifle.  The addition of a transfer from the dealer to the purchaser of a suppressor adds a couple months.  I don't suspect the HPA will pass any time soon, but even if it takes a few years, I can wait.  I have a trust, which I had created before all the changes, but man it'd be a drag having to get fingerprints done for all of my trustees.
Jeremiah 17:7

troutfanatic

I am hearing there is a bill up in NC that will allow permitless concealed carry. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

http://wncn.com/2017/06/01/nc-bill-would-allow-concealed-guns-without-permit-in-nc/

sanjuanwormhatch

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on June 02, 2017, 10:48:51 AM
I am hearing there is a bill up in NC that will allow permitless concealed carry. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

http://wncn.com/2017/06/01/nc-bill-would-allow-concealed-guns-without-permit-in-nc/

I can see both sides to argument.  They call it Constitutional Carry.  Premise behind it is to reduce the number of people open carrying.  A lot of law enforcement officers are complaining about the number of calls they have to investigate from people calling in to report someone open carrying. If they have a gun and can open carry it, what harm will it be to conceal carry it.  People illegally concealing a gun anyways are still going to conceal a gun if law passes.  I do not think you will see a rise in any crime or deaths if this gets passed.  People open carrying guns aren't the ones typically committing crimes, therefore allowing them to conceal carry isn't going to change that.  I like the gun safety course in high school idea too.  On the flip side though, people should really just get their concealed carry permit and be done with it..

troutfanatic

I like the idea of a background check and required training. The current policy requires both. I am not an advocate of open carry because it inspires panic and too many people do it as a provocative statement. However, I must admit I have open carried before, but not in Walmart while buying milk, more like West Virginia while fishing the methamphetamine heartland.

Onslow

In this era wherein government is blamed for the public's shortcomings, churches attendance is plummeting, public education is being starved out of existence, political polarization seems to be at an all time high, organizations that have facilitated all manner of civic goodness are fading, it makes perfect sense to make guns more accessible.  May I suggest we all respond to our latent grievances, and just start killing each other.  I think this will make us all feel better about our state of affairs. 

Dougfish

Here, here! Locked and loaded.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Permitless carry is a bad idea? Really? What part of "shall not be infringed" is unclear? Maybe we should have to get a permit to speak freely or practice religion? Freedom is really scary sometimes to those of a liberal bent who don't understand it or want it. I have carried a gun every day of my life for many, many years; and I have never shot anybody. Why do liberals assume that "access to guns" (which is guaranteed by our constitution,) equals everybody shooting each other? Actually, if you look at the statistics, shootings and murders are much more common in the places in the country with the strictest gun control laws, and not nearly as prevalent in places with less restricted access to firearms. People are just so out of touch with reality these days that it is really scary, and they want the government to protect, feed, clothe, and doctor them from the cradle to the grave. No thanks.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

JMiller

I'll stay away from the constitutional argument, but just from an LE perspective, I'm definitely not a fan of permitless carry.

Is it a pain to check and run somebody when I have to? Sure. But for the most part the permit simplifies things.
It is reassuring to know that a guy with a permit for a weapon has a relatively clean history, has taken the time to take the class and do the paperwork, which alone says something about the caliber of person you're dealing with.
And IMO, the permit process and legal ramifications of carrying without a permit keep every wannabe badass from donning weapons as fashion accessories (like the pit bull on the logging chain) which is only going to lead to trouble, and more work for me.

That said, idiots are still going to cause trouble and shoot each other regardless of what the laws are.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Couple points

1.  Our rights to bear arms have been infringed upon for quite some time.  The public is not allowed to manufacture or possess bombs, weaponized biological agents, grenades, stinger missiles, patriot missiles, heavy artillery.

2.  Don't think SJWH needs any monetary help from Uncle Sam, and neither do i.  Not down with the labels either.

3.  Regarding regulation, employees, employers, LLCs, LLPs, type S, etc, are all expected to fill out paperwork, businesses must register with the Secretary of State, and in some cases, lawyers are needed just to start a damned business.  Anyone not motivated enough to jump a few hoops probably doesn't need or deserve a concealed privileges.