Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2014, 20:46:09 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on November 25, 2014, 19:03:02 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2014, 18:17:28 PM
The question lies in whether liberals will hand over their guns when the komrade in chief demands it or conducts more executive actions?

Most liberals and conservatives that own guns and are not NRA members probably don't worry about such silliness.

Quit being a #twatwaffle and using humor to back out of a real discussion. You assume too much about me. I am neither a republican or an NRA member...
Are you a member of CPUSA?

Read my statement again.  I assume nothing concerning you, nor was it meant as humor.  It was an honest, how-I-feel response to the question you asked.  I did not say you were an NRA member or a republican.  If you are going to get your thong in a bind, then you should have addressed my implication that your assumed paranoia is silly.

In my close circle I have gun owning friends on the right and left, all are hunters.  I don't think any are NRA members but I could be mistaken on a few.   We communicate on a regular basis and they do have trepidations about a lot of stuff, BUT never have they broached the concern of handing over their guns to the government or any other authority.   Therefore, I said "most" and "probably" based on my own personal interactions.

Now take your Midol and go to bed.

Let me say, I know many military and ex-military, my wife included, plus many fishing, camping and hunting pals.  We even had a young man live in our home rent-free for over a year after he returned from Iraq and ran into a difficult marital situation.  He was a good kid and needed a break.  It was nothing special on my part or the Mrs.; we had the unused room.   Not one of these servants of the USA felt the need to engage in chest-thumping. 

And no I am not a member of CPUSA.  I have no idea of the meaning of CPUSA. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

rbphoto

While I believe the .270 is a fine round and the modern ammo choices are amazing, I am accurate enough with my .30-06 to hit a human-size target out to 600 meters. I came very, very close to building a 300Winmag about 15 yrs ago to go for the 1000yd range and then started looking at the overall cost.

I have exploded coyotes at 35 yds with 110gr hollow points, dropped (where it stood) 170 lb whitetail at 120yds with a single CNS (c-spine) shot, and hit more 300 yd targets in the 10 ring than I can count with my .30-06 Rem 700.  It is more about learning how to shoot well than it is caliber, trajectory, or bullet or rifle manufacturer.

With that said, I miss shooting regularly.

Last whitetail I killed was a 14" nasal penetration to c-spine (no exit wound) with a .35 Rem gr soft point through iron sights at 12 paces while stalking. I can't sit still in the woods and would rather drive deer to others or stalk them.

I plan to hunt with my 10mm for the foreseeable future.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

RiverbumCO

Savage Bolt.  Pretty popular caliber really.  Perfect for deer/antelope and plenty of sub 100 gr bullet choices for yotes.  Its a necked down 3006 cartridge tonfit a .25 projectile.  HOT round.  Very fast.  I shoot 117 gr out of mine.  Recoil is very minimal, but more than .243.

Phil

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

My grandfather's Springfield 1884 trapdoor. Mine now. Henheh.

Michael Toris

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 26, 2014, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: RiverbumCO on November 26, 2014, 11:23:40 AM
Savage Bolt.  Pretty popular caliber really.  Perfect for deer/antelope and plenty of sub 100 gr bullet choices for yotes.  Its a necked down 3006 cartridge tonfit a .25 projectile.  HOT round.  Very fast.  I shoot 117 gr out of mine.  Recoil is very minimal, but more than .243.

Nah man, familiar with the round, just never shot one. The Savage you own, is it one of the newer synthetic stocked, accutrigger guns?

I'm thinking I need to shoot one of these a few times and see if I like it before I jump off and buy a .243 or a .270. I have shot both of them. I will admit from someone's earlier comment, a Ruger #1 in .243 would be a mighty fine rifle. My stepfather has one and I have shot it. I really liked it and accurate as fukkall.

Anything new I buy must come with dies in that same purchase. I only began to mess around with reloading three years ago. I currently do: .223, 5.56, .30-06, .308 and 7.92x57. Have not dabbled in pistol rounds yet.

Holler at me if you get a 243 or 270; I've got those loads on lock down. Probably have a good one for 25/06 somewhere.

natureboy

I passed on a Ruger #1, staninless/laminate 25-06 topped with a x50 Nikon at the local pawn shop a couple years ago, still regret it.  :embarassed:  They currently have a 10ga Browning that's talking to me...

Any of you guys ever rebuild a M77 MkII?  I've got an all weather 7mm that I haven't been satisfied with the accuracy, thinking about bedding and a new trigger this winter.

RiverbumCO

Mine is an Axis sans accutrigger.  Cheapo gun that shoots good with a stainless barrel I dont have to worry about bangin around.  I believe theres a DIY trigger mod for mine that takes 5 min and cuts two lbs off.  Mounted with a 3 9 40 Nikon Monarch she lights up the evening sky.  Was sick of worrying about my Rem 700 bdl while in the woods.  My next gun will hopefully be a TC Pro Hunter in .264 Win Mag.

benben reincarnated

Cool gun Phil.  This is my 1873 trap door that's been handed down to me.  Missing the shoulder strap, but it does have the cleaning rod still.

Phil

I also treasure my grandpa's 1898 Krag.

benben reincarnated

That Krag is cool gun too.  You can't beat old classics.

Dee-Vo

Dee-Vo

benben reincarnated

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 26, 2014, 16:30:16 PM
Nothing like a good article about a crime involving an AR to re-flame the thread.

thanks Ben

Thank me later.