News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka

I started hunting at 5. My brothers (one 7 the other 9) and I would get a box of .22 rounds from our dad and get sent out to shoot grouse, we called them spruce hens where I'm from.

I always used a 30-06 for moose, which is a fine gun for them. I've never hunted deer although I have a back strap from one in my freezer. We used .270's for salmon.

Back to .22's for a minute. I'm hoping to get an old pump action .22 that was my grandfathers, soon. It's a beauty, I'll post pics once I have it.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: AKAaron on November 25, 2014, 14:04:27 PM
I started hunting at 5. My brothers (one 7 the other 9) and I would get a box of .22 rounds from our dad and get sent out to shoot grouse, we called them spruce hens where I'm from.

I always used a 30-06 for moose, which is a fine gun for them. I've never hunted deer although I have a back strap from one in my freezer. We used .270's for salmon.

Back to .22's for a minute. I'm hoping to get an old pump action .22 that was my grandfathers, soon. It's a beauty, I'll post pics once I have it.

You funny man, liberals don't shoot guns. 

Phil

"You funny man, liberals don't shoot guns. "

This one does.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2014, 18:17:28 PM
Quote from: Phil on November 25, 2014, 17:38:30 PM
"You funny man, liberals don't shoot guns. "

This one does.

The question lies in whether liberals will hand over their guns when the komrade in chief demands it or conducts more executive actions?

How does that play out in the United States of America?  The president of the United States of America just up and says, "hey everybody, let me have your guns", and we just turn them all in?

So is this why I need to go buy an assault rifle, so when this happens I can say "hell no!", and go down shooting?

What are these other alternatives you were alluding to as it relates to guns stemming from executive action?

benben reincarnated

I wouldn't care to guess how expensive an assault rife is these days, nor show any interest beyond that in actually purchasing one.  I just can't justify a need.  Hell everyone needs a hobby though, I have a few, you have yours. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2014, 18:17:28 PM
The question lies in whether liberals will hand over their guns when the komrade in chief demands it or conducts more executive actions?

Most liberals and conservatives that own guns and are not NRA members probably don't worry about such silliness.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Now here is a damn topic finally.

270 vs 30/06

Imma 270 fan boy. Have an early 90's tika hunter in 270 with walnut stock and a Leopold vari-x iii 3.5×10 50mm. Shoot hand-loaded rounds, 135 grain nosler/Sierra boat tail soft points and 55.5 grains of 2350 hodgons powder. Cuts bullet holes at 300 yards from a bench.

I like a 270 over an 06 since it has a wider variety of lighter bullets which shoot more consistent. Last time I checked, a 90 grain btsp could hold its own at 200-300 yards in that combo. 06 has a larger variety of heavier loads, but I prefer a 300 win mag in anything over 150 grains.

Also, Jack O'Connor was a 270 man. That is enough for me.

Michael Toris

Also own a couple 243's. Sako forester and a belgium browning (medallion grade) 243. That bitch has the original browning scope and mounts, pencil barrel,  hand checked walnut stock, hand engraved receiver, Sako action, and gold plated trigger. Never shot it. Dad has. The Sako will fucking drive nails.

Michael Toris

Dream gun:

Safari grade,  belgium browning 270

Pre-64 Winchester model 70 300 win mag

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 25, 2014, 19:06:00 PM
Well there ya go argument over the bug guy has spoken

Rambo, I had no idea it was an argument; I thought TF asked a question.  Enlighten me, what are we arguing? 

Jacob was close.  I had a .243 when I was a kid --- traded it for a PSE bow.  Now I have TC single shot in 7mm08.

The lever action 44 mag you guys want would be a hoot.  I'd also like to own a Savage bolt in .308; I have hunting friends that say they shoot factory ammo great right out of the box – no need to bed barrel or tweak the trigger or play with loads.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

RiverbumCO

Welp.  I traded a 1978 Remington 742 woodsmaster BDL 3006 Jam o matic for the Smith and Wesson M&P 1522.  It is fucking awesome too.

also, no 7mm Rem Mag love?  Great round.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

Quote from: RiverbumCO on November 25, 2014, 19:27:08 PM
Welp.  I traded a 1978 Remington 742 woodsmaster BDL 3006 Jam o matic for the Smith and Wesson M&P 1522.  It is fucking awesome too.

also, no 7mm Rem Mag love?  Great round.
Meh, 7 mag weatherby over the rem imo. Not a rem fan, but that is just me. I've reloaded a bunch of 7mm rem tho. Tough to get dialed in that gun. Have a few loads with 150 grains which shoot good

Michael Toris

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 25, 2014, 20:13:25 PM
i am 270 fanboy. i killed many deer with one. i like the caliber paired with a nosler ballistic tip
New ballistic tips are light years above the old ones. They seem to hold together really well and create a hell of a mushroom. Shoot the 165 nosler ballistic tip in the 300. Hell of a round.

Big nosler and Sierra fan.

RiverbumCO

Game Kings outta my 25-06.

I shoot the Noslers out tha 7mm.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 25, 2014, 20:23:42 PM
massive hemorrhaging is the goal
Wound channel and anti-fragmentation for me. I want one shot to knock his dick in the dirt. But then again, I haven't shot a deer in over 5 years and the last one was a doe which traveled 3 feet post shot. Might changed that this week.