Jacob's Fork Saturday September 17

Started by JohnnyNC, September 18, 2005, 22:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyNC

Spent the day at South Mountain State Park Saturday and had a great day.  Fished the low end (starting at Cicero Park and headed toward the main parking lot) and saw scads of fish, got tons of bites, mostly from stuff so tiny I could barely see it, but there were a ton of fish in the water.  Then decided to suck it up and climb up beyond the falls to have some fun.  Enjoyed the fishing up there, caught 3 brookies, a small brown (I think) and something that looked exactly like a small mouth bass (it was no trout) in a large, slow moving pool right near the High Shoals camp site.  A fantastic day.  Fished with a dry fly as an indicator (mostly a blond wulff) and various sizes of beadheaded nymph in black and olive color.  Caught everything on the nymphs.  Switched to a wooly bugger late dfay and got hits with that also - not very discriminating fish when it is time to eat.

I can't wait until the delayed harvest season - does it get crowded then?

Devinsdad

phg

Glad you had a good time.  I noticed, a couple of years ago, that there were lots of little trout in the main stream, but the big ones (catchable) get cleaned out.  DH on weekends is very crowded, but through the week isn't too bad.  It's just too small a stream for the amount of pressure it gets.

Someone once told me that, years ago, some western golden trout had been stocked above the falls.  Does anybody know if that's true?

brownhunter

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the day.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me