Question for Allen reel owners

Started by driver, June 12, 2015, 16:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverbumCO

I want one of those Tibors.  I think they balance really well if you put your rod over your shoulder facing backwards.  At least that's how everybody takes pictures with them.  I guess they practice that pose at home....it hard.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

Dougfish

What's backing? Sounds like a drag.

driver

driver

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This showed up yesterday. I like it. A few gripes.. but I'll load some line on it and fish it before I start picking it apart.

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on June 19, 2015, 06:55:28 AM

This showed up yesterday. I like it. A few gripes.. but I'll load some line on it and fish it before I start picking it apart.
What are your gripes?

Big J

The orange backing clashes with the green reel?

sanjuanwormhatch

Confession:  Other than a reel totally crapping the bed (ironically enough the only one that has for me is an allen reel but granted it was seriously the very first reel they made) I've never been able to tell the difference in a reel other than, as riverbum hinted at, some look better on my instagram feed than others. 

Jfey

Quote from: RiverbumCO on June 14, 2015, 08:40:53 AM
I want one of those Tibors.  I think they balance really well if you put your rod over your shoulder facing backwards.  At least that's how everybody takes pictures with them.  I guess they practice that pose at home....it hard.

The key is angling your shoulders so you can offset the weight of the Tibor.  I think tilting your head in the direction you are holding the fish also helps.  Some overcome this issue by simply using their mouth on the cork to hold it tight.  Its  kind of an advanced move, so definitely practice at home before posting to Instagram.  Nothing worse than an inappropriate cork biter.

Also, curious about the gripes on the Allen other than not balancing on the shoulders properly.
Yup, going fishing

sanjuanwormhatch

I guess this is a good place as any to vent about the rich prick my wife went to high school with who went to alaska to fly fish I'm sure on a whim with zero fishing experience and produced some grade A cork biting hero shots. 

driver

Quote from: Big J on June 19, 2015, 08:17:17 AM
The orange backing clashes with the green reel?

A bit. But I thinnk orange stands out better that yellow. And like to know when I'm in my backing.

Observations prior to fishing

Pros:
-Looks. Face it, ts a good looking reel.
-Ginormous handle. I cant explain enough why this is good.
-Size. It not huge but holds a lot of line
-Drag adjustment. Is a lot quicker and easier that my Guru (can't comment on the drag until I have a 30lb fish on it) seems ok. Sealed is good
-You can order it with backing for $8. I don't know anywhere I can by 250 yards of backing for $8

Cons:
-Weight, its a bit heaver that some of its competitors. But may make balancing over the shoulder easier. To be determined..
-Spool spins to freely. My gripe with this is.. when casting the inertia of that cast causes the spool to spin, thus taking up line. I have another reel that does this. This becomes annoying when you are casting the same distance repeatedly and every few casts you have to strip more line out. (but this also has a pro, you can just spin the spool and take up all you slack line in quickly when reeling in.)
-The clicker. On a saltwater reel, I like a loud clicker. I wanna know how hard a fish is running by the sound. With a motor running and any other sounds going on, I suspect this reel will be hard to hear.
-Size 4 doesn't come in Dorado color.

hopefully I get to try it on some reef donkeys in the coming weeks.

benben reincarnated

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

RiverbumCO

Jeffs doesn't know what to do with that one hand.  Laff.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.