News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Local Trip Reports / Re: Rooting For Ramps
Last post by hcrum87hc - March 11, 2024, 10:19:54 AM
Looks like a fine day to me. That second spot looks sweet!
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 09, 2024, 11:08:27 AM
I'll be after those stickers for the birds when the river drops!
Last post by creakycane - March 09, 2024, 10:03:09 AM
Lower river stocked this week, so Saw about 10 or 12 guys fishing the pools at the higher water levels Thurs/Fri.   If you pick your spots, there is fishable water all over, but it is amazing how 3 or 4 inches higher water changes the wading game.  A couple of small stoneflies, and a couple of small browns.  Had a very nice brown on a big nymph second cast of the day, but he threw the hook at my feet.   Nothing even close after that.  Had enough by 1 pm and left.   Not good to be tired/wading sloppy the way it is......  Probably will wait till sub 400cfs to go out again.....   BTW, 2 boats in town.   
Local Trip Reports / Rooting For Ramps
Last post by Onslow - March 08, 2024, 19:22:04 PM

Since the wife is home Spring Break, I chose not to work much this week.  Slept in and arrived at stream number one after 12.  Fished a bit, but only had three hits.

You cannot view this attachment.

The fish I saw were 9-10 inches. Ramps were all over.  Dutchman breeches are getting close to popping, and the trillium is getting close as well.

Caleb resting while watching me assail the hole.  I'm with Doug, screw this place.

Off to another stream.

The water was juicy.  Nailed a 14 inch bow straight away.  Forgot the net, but it was in hand.

Stung several more, lost several trying to handle them with a net.

All told, 15 were in hand in one hour.  This was the best hour of catching I've ever had.

These are going in some lamb stew tomorrow.   

Warm Water Species / Re: empty seat
Last post by Onslow - March 05, 2024, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM

The Stealthcraft is a fine ride and rows well but that didn't help us any other than retrieving flies caught on branches and submerged structure.

Some think fishing from a small canoe is nuts.  The lack of access is not the only reason why one never sees a raft or drift boat on the upper reaches of the Yadkin.  Water is too fast, and there are too many snags.

Some think flyfishing from a canoe whilst sitting down is lame, dumb, and poor form. I snapped my special Killwell flyrod on the Yadkin while fishing from a jon boat years ago.  Never again. With the my 119 canoe, I can spin on a dime, and crank upstream at 4mph with a kayak paddle.

Last post by streamereater_101691 - March 05, 2024, 08:52:00 AM
Quote from: Fishbug on March 04, 2024, 16:37:47 PMAlmost all the stars aligned except the most important one.
Shoulda trusted the older and wiser.
But there's worse ways to spend a Sunday.
Revenge shall be planned.  :cheers

5kcfs is rough down there for sure. Been screwed couple times by pulses as well. Gotta roll with the punches.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 04, 2024, 21:07:44 PM

#24 - 22 65 mostly sunny

The river is still up just a bit, I hit a spot in town looking for rainbows, I found one, I deemed it too large for raptor food. Mama duck kept an eye on me as I walked by.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I hit a few other spots and couldn't find a fish. I stopped in at a new to me spot and looked around. Water was moving too fast for my taste, and I found no fish.

Stopped to look at another spot and Steve from Thomasville pulled in behind me and we got to talking and in all honesty that was the highlight of the day. We swapped some flis and fishing tails before departing to hit one last spot where I found no fish.

Work is being done on the damn dam

Local Trip Reports / Junk In the Funk
Last post by Onslow - March 04, 2024, 19:06:14 PM

Headed off to a stream I've not set foot in.

I was geared up by 7:30, and the hike to the starting point took much longer than expected.  Old fields grown up in low density tree growth with every variety of thorny cane imaginable.

As I neared the starting point, signs of human activity were all over.  Fresh tire tracks, campfire pit, and a fair amount of sinkers/bobbers/hooks in the stream.

I was testing the waters for transient bows, but none were caught.  The lower end of the run was dominated by brookies.

Lost two more at the net.

After the first quarter mile was covered, I started catching browns.  Numbers were not high.  Very spotty bites. Down low, deep dark water such as this yielded no leroy love.

Very few small browns were caught.  This is concerning.

I lost several at the net. 

At one really good hole, the browns attacked as I was lifting the rig from the water at which point, the noticed me, and rocketed away. This happened three times in one pool.

As I proceeded upstream, the stream changed.  More rock scrum, more cobble and less ledge, less fish, more junk.

Did not catch a single fish, or had a bite at the last .5 mile.  Nearly two hours of zilch.

I've seen, I know, I probably won't be back.  Too much work for too little dividend.   

Got the hell out of there about 1:30.  Thankfully the hike out was easier than the one in.

Time to start planting things in the veggie garden!  A flurry of activity is taking place next door.  The neighbors are hosting a reception for Josh Stein next week.  Hopefully I will be able to make it.         
Last post by Fishbug - March 04, 2024, 16:37:47 PM
Almost all the stars aligned except the most important one.
Shoulda trusted the older and wiser.
But there's worse ways to spend a Sunday.
Revenge shall be planned.  :cheers
Warm Water Species / empty seat
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM

#24 -- 21

Fishbug sent a text saying there was an empty seat on a planned New River float targeting prespawn smallies.

I kept looking at the upstream gauges and knew there was a lot of water flowing into Virginia. I kept him informed of my reservations, but he was going anyway as his friend Will had already committed.

I took photos of all the fish we caught!

The Stealthcraft is a fine ride and rows well but that didn't help us any other than retrieving flies caught on branches and submerged structure.

The river was up a foot according to local musky fisherman who reported seeing a few fish which was more than we could say.

The weather was perfect and it was a nice boat ride on a beautiful stretch of the river. I hope to return under better conditions.

Thanks for the invite.