News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: Trump Sucks
Last post by trout-r-us - Today at 13:44:05 PM
You cannot view this attachment.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 22, 2024, 22:32:31 PM
Peter Higgs, Nobel-winning physicist on a subatomic hunt, dies at 94
His theory, contingent on what became known as the Higgs boson, made the Standard Model of Particle Physics possible

Peter Higgs, a British physicist and Nobel Prize winner whose musings on the origins of mass launched a nearly five-decade, multibillion-dollar search for a subatomic particle — later known as the Higgs boson — that was said to hold the keys to understanding the nature of the universe, died April 8 at his home in Edinburgh, Scotland. He was 94.
The University of Edinburgh announced his death in a statement but did not cite a cause.
Dr. Higgs's ideas about the creation of mass in the universe, which he developed as a young theorist during the early 1960s, employed mathematical calculations to propose an explanation of nothing less audacious than why we all exist: how the atoms that make up stars, planets and people — everything in the universe — came to be

https://wapo.st/3W5MChz

The Gravel Bar / Re: Win a trip to Belize!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 22, 2024, 09:20:38 AM
Last day to enter!

Use the link and give the bossman more chances!
The Gravel Bar / Make America Strong Again
Last post by trout-r-us - April 21, 2024, 15:01:49 PM
 Good start.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Local Bands, sma...
Last post by troutboy_II - April 21, 2024, 07:06:33 AM
Quote from: troutboy_II on April 19, 2024, 12:36:24 PMBut the new venue is just that - wedding parties, sometimes office get togethers, etc.  Not a real music venue on the circuit like before. That's fine and all, but I would rather stand for a Handelbar concert than attend a local DNC fundraiser (wife said I had to go since we were sponsors  :o- what the hell!  How did that happen :-\ ?  But I digress...

You're still fortunate to have the Flat Iron close by.

TB

Well, confused the issue, didn't I?  I was referring to the Handlebar.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 20, 2024, 19:13:47 PM

pre pandemic the UNCG jazz musicians would jam at the Tate Street Coffee house. The Coffee house changed their hours and closed early. In the meantime, a new brewery opened up down the street and they recently began hosting jazz musicians on Thursday evenings. We kept meaning to go but ended up forgetting or planning something else.

That changed and we managed to remember and make it out to Oden Brewing on West Gate City Boulevard in Greensboro. The building was a former soda bottling factory and is still owned by the same family that ran that business in the 1930s and 40s. After being empty for decades Bill Oden opened the brewery. Come check it out.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 19, 2024, 18:17:48 PM
Dickey Betts, hit-crafting mainstay of Allman Brothers Band, dies at 80
He was a founding member of the group and wrote and sang 'Ramblin' Man,' which became the band's only major top-10 success

https://wapo.st/448UvER

Last post by troutboy_II - April 19, 2024, 12:36:24 PM
But the new venue is just that - wedding parties, sometimes office get togethers, etc.  Not a real music venue on the circuit like before. That's fine and all, but I would rather stand for a Handelbar concert than attend a local DNC fundraiser (wife said I had to go since we were sponsors  :o- what the hell!  How did that happen :-\ ?  But I digress...

You're still fortunate to have the Flat Iron close by.

TB

The Gravel Bar / Re: Beetle's Book and Word Thr...
Last post by Dee-Vo - April 19, 2024, 05:48:08 AM
Finished this one this morning. It's the first in its series. Not bad.

Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 18, 2024, 13:05:30 PM
Quote from: troutboy_II on April 18, 2024, 08:58:19 AMWhat a cool place!  You're lucky to have it. I miss the Handlebar here in Greenville.

TB

The new owners turned the bar into a music listening venue — great sound system and about 50 new chairs that are wide and comfortable. I can't imagine how much they spent on those but I'm certain there weren't  cheap