Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: Trump Sucks
Last post by trout-r-us - February 28, 2024, 16:55:50 PM
Great movie memory.

You cannot view this attachment.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Poacher News
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 27, 2024, 14:59:04 PM
Man to plead guilty to helping kill 3,600 eagles, other birds and selling feathers prized by tribes

A Washington state man accused of helping kill more than 3,000 birds — including eagles on a Montana Indian reservation — then illegally selling their feathers intends to plead guilty to illegal wildlife trafficking and other criminal charges, court documents show.

https://wr.al/1RNro

Local Trip Reports / Re: Six Segments
Last post by Big J - February 27, 2024, 09:43:00 AM
Git it Ken.  d:b
Last post by Phil - February 27, 2024, 07:07:20 AM
Friggin sweet bigguns!  'c;
Warm Water Species / Re: Real Enough
Last post by itieuglyflies - February 26, 2024, 22:13:58 PM
An awesome day for sure.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 26, 2024, 21:04:58 PM
Ken getting around  :cheers
Last post by Onslow - February 26, 2024, 20:48:50 PM
Definitely a strong start for 2024!
Local Trip Reports / Six Segments
Last post by Onslow - February 26, 2024, 20:29:28 PM

Work was on the agenda, but a delivery issue forced me to abort.

Headed out to Ashe county to check out a several tracts of land.  Ended up alongside Three Top creek, but I did not fish there.  Headed on to Big Laurel Creek.

Fished a couple glade bends near the confluence and went up the bridge a bit.  Nothing to report concerning catching.  Dead cow was in the middle of the stream in one spot.  Hadn't started rotting yet.

On my way out, a kid (12ish) was gathering his other rod w/streamer. Him mom was driving him around to various spots.  He'd just caught an 18" wild brown on the NF.

I rolled down the NF below the designated reach at a rock wall.  Fished a little. 
Spooked up a deep bodied chunk.  While it could have  been smallie, I doubt it was due to it being in a shoal behind a small rock.

Hauled ass to another steam I've never fished before.

This steam was hot. Caught a fish within the first 5 minutes.  Landed 8 in an hour.

There were more stones out than BWOs.  Fish were looking up, but those were small.  The little guys were rising everywhere, especially under overhanging dead brush.

Headed to Laurel Springs and tried to find  hole I hadn't fished in 10 years or more on Vitamin C creek. The stream has changed.

.You cannot view this attachment.   

Caught a few dinks.  This  is a wild trout stream that is treated like a put and take.

I veered off to a trib called Piney Fork.  I've never fished this stream, so here goes. 

Mostly quartz cobble with a occasional ledge pool.

Cool, an untouched glade

Lets stomp about in the blooming skunk cabbage.  The habitat for skunk cabbage is phenomenal in Allegheny county. Can grow 6' tall.

I labored in this spot and almost gave up, but I dipped the rig tight to the opposing bank, and finally.

I believe the other hits were wild brook trout.  Fish were small, bites were light and fast.

I'd gone up about a half mile.

Drove up this creek to the 3k mark.  Brookies were at one time thick there.  Brookie water or dookie?  It was the latter.

I tried to make one more stop, but the access was too sketchy.  Drove to another spot, and scouted an access to my fav river.  I almost made my way down,  but there was a very steep cliff near the bottom.  It would make more sense to drop in, and wade to the next bridge, and not to climb out. 

Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 26, 2024, 19:21:28 PM
#24 — 17

Quick run up to hit a few roadside spots with a mission to cull some stockers. Caught 5 browns that were over 10 by a tad and one under and I ran into some rainbows one was too big for the birds at about 14" but I whacked two that were 10 and 11 or so!

Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 26, 2024, 18:31:24 PM
Sweet — sounds like a great day!