News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Limited knowledge

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 13, 2020, 13:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The ginkgo trees are dropping or getting ready to drop their leaves this is often dramatic with most dropping over a period of days! I went to check on my favorite ginkgo and then went for a walk at Reynolda gardens where I found another ginkgo dropping leaves and fruit! I've never seen the fruit of a ginkgo so I picked one up and split it open the revival the seed! They smell horrifically bad! The most foul smelling fruit I've encountered! Then I googled about them! Crap! They contain URUSHIOL! The same crap as poison oak! WFML! Fortunately their is a restroom available and I spent 10 minutes washing my hands!

You cannot view this attachment.

If you want to harvest the nuts use gloves!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 13, 2020, 13:21:40 PMIf you want to harvest the nuts use gloves!!

I'll take note of this you nut harvester.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Or is it anacardic acid?

https://www.gardenmyths.com/ginkgo-biloba-myths-maidenhair-tree/

Safer collecting acorns.  Just today I collected a handful of weevil-free red oak acorns.  They are going in the ground with the earlier white oaks for winter hardening. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

itieuglyflies

On the property where I worked we had a very large female Ginko. Every year several Asian ladies would show up wearing masks and rubber gloves and harvest bags full of that dog shit smelling fruit for some "traditional dish". ......needles to say I never had the desire to try it.

Woolly Bugger

No reaction so far  d:b

I may harvest a bunch on Sunday and roast a batch up!

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Chinese delicacy!
All the named clones in the industry are male. For a reason.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Well with nothing on the agenda for the day I went and harvested a bunch of stinkgo ...

Wore gloves and picked them up off the ground there are thousands, the trees are prolific.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This is a male tree, "The Good Ginkgo"

The female in all it's stinking glory..

I soaked the bag of fruit in water for an hour or so to make it easier to squeeze the nut out.
I then washed the nuts and then popped them in a warm oven for an hour to dry them..

They stink while drying too, in case you're wondering...

I don't think I'll be doing this again, unless the roasted nuts are orgasmically good

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I read that the Ginkgo nuts are great with beer!

so I roasted them up, they will pop, so best to cover them while roasting...

placed under a rolling pin and given a whack the shell will crack so you can get to the emerald green nut.

I tried a couple warm and didn't care for them but as they cooled off the flavor grew on me and an nice SN Tropical IPA is a great accompaniment !

They are a bit waxy, and chewy, not a ton of flavor, but I can see how if you grew up eating them, you would desire to eat them again. Pretty sure this is a one and done adventure for me though... 

you're only supposed to consume 10 40 a day as the toxins can cause seizures  :o  <-;:

https://guidable.co/health/3-dangerous-symptoms-which-might-be-caused-by-ginkgo-nuts/
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

BRFFF Crash Test Dummy. :Dance 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Thanks for walking us through that, but I think I'll stick to Pistachios.  🤔

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

The secret is out and my nuts are being harvested!

They were surprised that had harvested some, they cautioned about their toxicity and warned about eating too many at a time, informed me of the Chinese medicinal properties and a quick cooking method; crack open and microwave for one minute!
me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

"The secret is out and my nuts are being harvested " ......now that is something to ponder. Just how many do you have? or have left? But I guess I can see why one might want to keep it a secret.