Orvis - Not just a place to buy a doggy bed.

Started by Al, September 03, 2014, 20:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

We've all heard the stories bashing Orvis for being overpriced and catering to the doggy bed crowd. Well they are also a company that provides great customer service and stands behind their products. Here is just one example:

I've had a pair of Orvis Guide Waders for about four years that developed a leak soon after I got them. I returned them and they did a repair which worked for awhile but eventually started leaking again. Most of my fishing now is during the summer so weepy waders is not as big an issue as when I was guiding at all times of the year. I figured out where the leak was coming from and applied Aqua Seal on my own. The problem was that I kept having to apply Aqua Seal to the majority of seams on one leg. Enough was enough, so I recently returned them to Orvis along with a letter explaining the problem.  This evening UPS delivered to my doorstep a new pair of Silver Sonic Guide Waders which is the current Orvis top of the line along with a letter saying "No Charge".

Orvis - expensive, yes, but  in today's market not anymore expensive them most name brands. They also stand behind their product - no quibbling, no questions asked, no prorating of cost and well beyond warranty expectations. Will I purchase major items from them again. You bet I will.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Al on September 03, 2014, 20:00:19 PM

1. I've had a pair of Orvis Guide Waders for about four years that developed a leak soon after I got them.

2. I returned them and they did a repair which worked for awhile but eventually started leaking again.

3. Most of my fishing now is during the summer so weepy waders is not as big an issue as when I was guiding at all times of the year.

4. I kept having to apply Aqua Seal to the majority of seams on one leg.

Al

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 03, 2014, 20:40:48 PM
Quote from: Al on September 03, 2014, 20:00:19 PM

1. I've had a pair of Orvis Guide Waders for about four years that developed a leak soon after I got them.

2. I returned them and they did a repair which worked for awhile but eventually started leaking again.

3. Most of my fishing now is during the summer so weepy waders is not as big an issue as when I was guiding at all times of the year.

4. I kept having to apply Aqua Seal to the majority of seams on one leg.

Come on put the rest of it up there  b';  I could have gone off and bad mouthed them but once I called the problem to their attention they didn't hesitate to take corrective action.  IMHO you get what you pay for. If I have a problem with the replacement I will be sure to let you and everyone else know - Right now I am a satisfied customer.

driver

I've never had a pair of Simms leak soon after getting them.

Although I have been eyeing a pair of these over at the big "O"
Orvis goodness

Big J

Quote from: driver` on September 03, 2014, 22:07:15 PM

Well I've got a pair of Simms that leaked after a couple trips. . . . .

DRIFTS

Now that I'm not blue lining anymore, Just float'n...probably couldn't blow out any of em. My Simms are on there 6th year!!! /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

RiverbumCO

Pataguccis on their 3rd year.  I treat my gear like shit, honestly.  I would never buy simms waders personally.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

snagaluffaguss

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Big J on September 04, 2014, 07:02:44 AM
Quote from: driver` on September 03, 2014, 22:07:15 PM

Well I've got a pair of Simms that leaked after a couple trips. . . . .

Quick question and not that I'm a Simms deciple I've had some of there gear give out on me before too...

But what model were they?

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 04, 2014, 13:57:46 PM

Quick question and not that I'm a Simms deciple I've had some of there gear give out on me before too...

Simms Freestone.  So their lower end waders.  Still $250 a pop though.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Big J on September 04, 2014, 14:20:48 PM

New? On Sale? Fly shop or big box purchase?

Big J

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 04, 2014, 14:27:01 PM

New, fly shop.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Big J on September 04, 2014, 14:31:48 PM
Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 04, 2014, 14:27:01 PM

New, fly shop.

Simms make it right?

Big J

Have yet to contact them.  Made it all last winter with the leak, but probably should get on that before this winter rolls around.