Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day @ NCWRC Pechmann Ctr 10-13-10

Started by Al, October 14, 2010, 08:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The weather on 10-13-10 was perfect for a Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center located on the west side of Fayetteville.

Approximately thirty soldiers, veterans and family members joined us from 1:00 to 5:00 pm for a relaxing change of pace.  We have been doing these events for three years and  believe we have touched a lot of lives. NCWRC provides the venue and local volunteers, many of whom are veterans themselves, provide the oversight and expertise. Our first love is fly fishing but we welcome those who just want to kick back with a spin cast rod, bobber and bait while waiting for one of our hefty catfish to bite.

Lots of smiles today. A catfish this size will put a serious bend in a 5wt fly rod.

We are blessed to have the support of this speech therapist from Womack Army Medical Center who brings several patients who are suffering the effects of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) - After working with these folks we go home knowing that we helped make someone's day a little brighter.

Ricky, one of the TBI patients has been out several times. He loves tying flies and has a whole collection of flies he personally created which catch fish.

This TBI soldier had a hot hand today and caught several like this all by himself. I like to think that events like this make a difference in what must be an unknown future for many of our veterans.

School is back in session but we still had a few kids out today. This sister team had a ball.

Big fish for the day was caught by this young soldier. It was a nice one -  My guess is it would have weighed 8-10 pounds. Not bad on a fly rod.

This old Vietnam Vet chopper pilot wasn't intimidated by the young fellow's - his was nearly as large and was caught without even breaking a sweat.

And so ends another successful 2nd Wednesday of each month when the NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center opens it's doors to our military heroes. We appreciate all they do to help us maintain our American way of life. Our next Wounded Warrior / Military Appreciation Day will be on November 10, 2010 from 1:00 - 5:00pm.

phg

Leedawg

Thanks Al 'c; 'c; My cousin was home last weekend from Bragg. 2 tours in Iraq and fresh back from Haiti and luckily he is NOT in the Wounded Warrior program. We exchanged war stories and a few cold ones. Trying to get him into flinging the fly for some r&r. I appreciate your efforts!!! Thanks again
Leedawg

phg

If he's stationed at Bragg, send him by.  We'll be happy to edumacate him on the long rod.  The Wounded Warriors program is actually open to all active duty servicemen.  We'd love to have him.

Stone-Man

Al,

Thanks for what you are doing  !!!!!!

I wish that I was a little closer. ---  So that I could do some instruction stuff,etc,etc

JT