News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

float trip on Sat.

Started by hopper, September 08, 2009, 07:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Got to float the New with my father on Saturday.  We left the 5 and 7 year olds at home this time.  We were on the river for about 8 hours.  Took a little longer than I expected due to the water level being so low. Therefore, I did not get a nap before watching the Tech/Bama game.  We had a great day, but with no pics. About half way to the river I realized I left the camera at home.  Sorry.  We caught fish all day long.  Most of our smallies were 10" -12".  Our largest was 14".  Most of the fish came up to a small floating clouser minnow.  We tried larger poppers, streamers and clawdads to pick up larger fish but had no luck.  The small fish were very aggressive.  Usually two or three would be chasing the fly.  I usually fish my poppers like a dry fly on the river.  This day they wanted it moving fast.  The fish were small but a lot of fun on top water.  Typical summer time smallmouths. We did locate 7 pigs in the 18"- 22" range.  They were either hunkered under ledges or cruising a flat, but not eating.   It was great to be in the raft out on the river.  With a 5 and 7 year old I do not get to fish near as much as I would like to. 

River was crowded.  A lot of canoes and two other rafts.  At the end of the float we had to get out of a jet boat that was already up on plane.  The take out was packed.
If you hunt with your kids you will never have to hunt for you kids.

Woolly Bugger

nothing like that smallmouth top water bite to make your day! You might have hit one of the last major bikini hatches of the year!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

hopper

I saw some potential on the trip, but all the bikinis were covered up with life jackets!!

At least they were being safe.

flynhokies

sounds like a great day...until the game started that night. i was in the atl for it and still feeling the loss :( . where did you put in? i still have never floated the new and want to get out there before the season ends.
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

hopper

We made the Ripplemead to Bluff City float.  It is a long float and has a few areas you need to be very carefull in. 

We float all the water from Radford to WV and it is all good.

As far as the Hokies are concerned if we can get an offensive that will give the defense a rest we might be able to win some big games.  It is hard for the defense to stay strong in the fourth quarter when they play almost the whole game.

flynhokies

agree completely with you there...hey at least they moved the ball well this past saturday...im a little nervous for the huskers though
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet