The more i think about the Smith!

Started by Fire-Fly, March 28, 2010, 18:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

The more i think about the new regulations proposed for the Smith the more i disagree with doing away with the spec regs section. You still dont have to have a trout stamp for the area. There are already bait fisherman poaching in these areas that take the risk of getting caught, if its open to bait then there wil be more bait fisherman in this area. Along with this the amount of trash will go up and more trash in the areas used to access this section of stream, which may cause these areas to be posted and no access for anyone. Dont fool yourselves and think none of the bait fisherman will walk down in there to fish. If the state is allowed to remove the spec regs section then it will cause concern for the most scenic and technical waters on the Smith. We can still have a slot limit but still keep the area artificial lures and single hooks in that area.  I am seriously concerned for this stretch of river.

phg

I'm sort of in agreement with you.  What I see happening is that the bait fishermen will strip out the 8" browns in about 2 weeks time, leaving that stretch devoid of catchable fish for a couple of years.

I agree that taking out 1/2 to 2/3 of the 8" browns could be beneficial to the fishery, but I'm not convinced that there is enough biomass to support a large number of 16" browns.  Maybe a couple of weekends of supervised harvest to reduce the number of smaller fish, and then go back to single hook artificial lure regs....

22midge

I'm sure the State of Virginia would have liked to save its time and that of Scotts's.The VDGIF has taken the time to study the needs of the river and if I'm right Mitchell Bridge is mile post 14 1/2 + and the dam is 45+ that's 30 miles.The fishermen and most important the landowners and local people are being ask to change to support the slot limit.Why give them a reason to say yes we will work with you but we have to leave 3miles of the river as it is to support your elite group.Think about it BJ and why does TU ask for help from the VDGIF if we are to throw in a favor for the artificial only crowd.There is nothing in the special regs you cant find other places on the river.Why not try to protect it all and not just a section for a few.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

rjs123

I hardly ever fish the special regs so I see and talk to a lot of bait fisherman on a regular basis.  When I'm home and not traveling,  I fish the river every day and I have yet to see a bait fisherman keep 8 or 9 inch fish. They are always complaining that too many of the bows are small. Not saying they dont or wont keep them in the special regs but I havent seen it on other parts of the river. Who eats 8 inch fish? Not counting sardines. :)

I very seldom fish the special regs, but like BJ dont know why it couldnt stay the way it is, single hook artificial.

outdoorguy3

The one question I would have is, why would all the 'bait' fisherman walk all the way into the Special Regs to catch 8" trout when they can do that through out the whole river now.

If they do venture into the section that is now called the Special Regs thinking there are a bunch of 16" fish, or just larger fish than the rest of the river they will find out quickly that's not the case and they will not want to work that hard for no better benefit.

Why is it, that folks that are not trained, or that have not put in the time studying these issues, think that they know better than the folks that do this everyday for their living.

BJ, how often do you take advise from the general public about fighting fires?

Let's let Scott and his team make their recommendation and then let's support any new regulations.  The way I look at it, change that could and probably will be good for the river and it can't hurt the river because all of what you have mentioned is already happing in the Special Reg anyway.  All kinds of bait fisherman ply the waters of the Special Regs.  No trash in the special Regs.......who you kidding.

Let's all fish the river together and work together to make the river better.

You want fly only sections of the river?  Then should the bait guys pick a section and ask to have it bait only so that they won't be bothered by fly fisherman?  What if they pick a section you like to fish?

There are too many fish in the river which means there are plenty of fish to go around.

Ralph   0--0

Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Al

I'm with PeeWee and Ralph on this one.

A sure way to garner lots of negative comments on the proposal is to offer nothing to the folks who make up well over 50% of those who fish the river. If you try to set aside the Spec Reg as BJ has suggested and I were a local bait fisherman I would think, "this is just the first step in making the entire river a fly fishing only fishery - I and all my friends had better stop that before those snobby fly fishermen get their foot in the door!"

No guarantee that what is proposed will work but we can pretty well guarantee that doing nothing will result in a continuation of the downward spiral that has been going on for the past 15 years I have been fishing the Smith.

5xTippett

I agree with Al, Peewee, and Ralph.  There is no biological reason to keep the special regulations the way they are.  There will be no stocking in that area so you will not have to have a trout stamp.  So you will not have to worry about that.  The only reason to keep the bait fishermen out would be because you believe you are better than them.  I am not going to be be ugly to someone just because they fish differently than me.  The bait fishermen are going to have to change the way they have been fishing for years over the rest of the river, so what would it hurt us to allow them in 3 miles of river they haven't been able to fish.  I really like Ralph's comment about how would we like a section of the river set aside for bait fishermen only.  Think about that folks.

Beetle

Given how snobby those fish are.....I might start dunking some bait too......jis sayin     ::)         :)

Trout Maharishi

I can't wait to get down in there with some bait. I know there are some monster fish down in there. I have needs, many hungry wives and chillren. When will that start? I am going to bring many poles and large buckets ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 29, 2010, 09:46:29 AM
I can't wait to get down in there with some bait. I know there are some monster fish down in there. I have needs, many hungry wives and chillren. When will that start? I am going to bring many poles and large buckets ;D

If you're having to feed those two "gals" you took to Belize, then you better throw dynamite instead of bait. ;D

22midge

TM all you need is two good poles .........the net between them does all the fishin.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

flynhokies

Quote from: 22midge on March 29, 2010, 17:09:29 PM
TM all you need is two good poles .........the net between them does all the fishin.

bwahahaha 
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

troutrus

The law of unintended consequences dictates that some negatives may arise if change is made. Let's just hope that the upside outweighs any unanticipated issues.
One thing I would forsee is a reduction in trout license sales in the local area, particularly if the stocking drop areas remain unchanged. I think quite a few locals will fish the spec regs area, especially the areas directly adjacent to stocked water where they get the benefit of stocked fish without the need to buy the trout license.
I agree with Ralph in supporting Scott's proposals. Just makes sense that he knows best.

Good Fishing!!

troutrus

Quote from: rjs123 on March 28, 2010, 19:04:10 PM
. Not saying they dont or wont keep them in the special regs but I havent seen it on other parts of the river. Who eats 8 inch fish? Not counting sardines. :)

Quite a few people eat 8" fish. I've eaten trout, sunfish, crappie, bullheads, sauger, perch,  smelts, sea bass, pompano, croakers, spot, makerel, and a number of other species that were no more than 8". mmm mmmm good!!

Good Fishing!!

jwgnc

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 29, 2010, 09:46:29 AM

Wash the sheet rock mud out of those buckets first - else you'll get plastered
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.