Spinning rods are the future fam

Started by Michael Toris, July 14, 2017, 23:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMiller

Nice!
Love jigging up some walleyes.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 16, 2017, 20:01:33 PM
Quote from: Onslow on July 16, 2017, 19:19:19 PM
I find it quite amazing Sandstone, and perhaps Brooks Falls, prevented these two species from making any headway upstream for perhaps thousands of years.

Ken, you're killing me!  You deleted some of your classic bloviating, again!

I agree.  Hard to believe they did not make it over those falls, which makes me question the old distribution records.  Perhaps the lower New records are suspect.

I'm having serious doubts about accuracy of the USGS maps after reviewing the their native range graphic for Striped Bass in the Yadkin/Pee Dee basin.  Moravians keep good records, and I've heard from several sources the Moravians documented the presence of striped bass in the Yadkin River near Winston Salem, probably circa 1760s-1790s.  I've also stumbled across some US Government fish harvest docs from the late 1800s that described the fishery in the early to mid 1800s. Stripers were wiped out due to over harvesting by 1850, and the shad were decimated by the 1880s.  Dams were erected after the turn of the century.  It is also worth mentioning that many stripers call rivers home, not the deep blue sea.  I suspect the Cape Fear, Neuse, Pee Dee/Yadkin, Dan/Roanoke, Catawba, Broad, had stripers throughout at one point.

Back to the New basin, the USGS graphic shows smallmouth native to the Greenbrier which is above Sandstone, but none in the Bluestone, or the New in VA.  This defies basic logic.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on July 17, 2017, 20:36:00 PM

I'm having serious doubts about accuracy of the USGS maps after reviewing the their native range graphic for Striped Bass in the Yadkin/Pee Dee basin.  Moravians keep good records, and I've heard from several sources the Moravians documented the presence of striped bass in the Yadkin River near Winston Salem, probably circa 1760s-1790s.  I've also stumbled across some US Government fish harvest docs from the late 1800s that described the fishery in the early to mid 1800s. Stripers were wiped out due to over harvesting by 1850, and the shad were decimated by the 1880s.  Dams were erected after the turn of the century.  It is also worth mentioning that many stripers call rivers home, not the deep blue sea.  I suspect the Cape Fear, Neuse, Pee Dee/Yadkin, Dan/Roanoke, Catawba, Broad, had stripers throughout at one point.

Back to the New basin, the USGS graphic shows smallmouth native to the Greenbrier which is above Sandstone, but none in the Bluestone, or the New in VA.  This defies basic logic.

I agree, distribution maps need to be scrutinized and compared to the literature if possible.

Your Moravian anecdote is interesting.  I would question if they could distinguish a striped bass form other fishes in the 1700s, since the striped bass was described from NY State in 1792.  Cool to think about. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Grannyknot

spork and WMTsun, since you are river fishing, have you entered the world of bottom bouncers?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Grannyknot on July 18, 2017, 08:47:15 AM
spork and WMTsun, since you are river fishing, have you entered the world of bottom bouncers?
Negative. Too easy to hang them up in the waterbody I fish. Ive tried them before.

Split shot is all I use

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: DAYUMson on July 18, 2017, 11:51:54 AM
Negative. Too easy to hang them up in the waterbody I fish. Ive tried them before.

Split shot is all I use

I figured bottom bouncers was a new hip sexual term.

Grannyknot

Split shot is all I use

buddy, the true vertical jig in a swift current is a thing of beauty.
ive never got one hung up.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Grannyknot on July 18, 2017, 12:33:52 PM

Split shot is all I use

buddy, the true vertical jig in a swift current is a thing of beauty.
ive never got one hung up.
You are talking about bottom bouncers like these, correct?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Grannyknot

yes.  if they are getting hung, you need to go heavier to get your line more vertical.  should be able to feel the type of structure they could hang on and pull it right up and over it before its too late.  Only exception I can think of is maybe a suspended log or tree branch.

then again, if you're having luck with jigs & shot, stick with it.  the sensitivity you get from that set up is great for feeling takes.
I just like the bottom bouncers cause, no matter what the wind or drift is, you've got a way to keep the jig in the strike zone.  We use floating jig heads on them.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Grannyknot on July 18, 2017, 12:55:47 PM
yes.  if they are getting hung, you need to go heavier to get your line more vertical.  should be able to feel the type of structure they could hang on and pull it right up and over it before its too late.  Only exception I can think of is maybe a suspended log or tree branch.

then again, if you're having luck with jigs & shot, stick with it.  the sensitivity you get from that set up is great for feeling takes.
I just like the bottom bouncers cause, no matter what the wind or drift is, you've got a way to keep the jig in the strike zone.  We use floating jig heads on them.
Gotcha. We are running 1/4 ounce jigs vertically and casting. Working well so far, but you do lose a lot. You are correct, you can feel a minnow's fart when running this setup.

I like this concept for running worm rigs tho

Aka

A now a message from our sponsor.

Grannyknot

Yallerhammer

Walleye have always been one of my favorite fish to catch. On spinning rods.

Yallerhammer does not release walleyes. Ever.

And anybody who thinks smallmouth taste like shit either has defective taste buds, has never had one out of cool, clean water, or lacks basic cooking skills. Or left the skin on 'em and tried to fry a filleting fish whole like it was a 6" bream. They ain't walleye or yaller perch, but they are sho-nuff tasty.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutfanatic

Only Largemouth taste worse.  :banana072:

Yallerhammer

Largemouth out of our mountain lakes aren't bad at all, at least early in the year. Not my favorite eating fish, but still taste 10x better than any of that shit fish from the grocery store. I don't see how anybody can eat a ditch tilapia and enjoy it.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff