The Smith is Really High Right Now

Started by rjs123, November 11, 2009, 21:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Its been rainy now solid for about 36 hours here in Fieldale.  I went down to the river to have a look. It was as high or higher than generation and they werent generating at the time.  Its supposed to keep raining through tomorrow too.

Im off to Atlanta for a few days. Hope it settles down when I get back on Monday.

This pic is over looking the small stream that flows into the river just below the Fieldale Bridge.

[attach=1]

Woolly Bugger

pretty ugly looking water right there...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Here is the latest from the National Weather Service:

* UNTIL 245 PM EST THURSDAY.

* 2 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ACROSS THE WARNING AREA SINCE TUESDAY MORNING.

* MANY TRIBUTARIES AND STREAMS THAT FLOW INTO THE DAN AND ROANOKE RIVERS WILL FLOOD. THIS INCLUDES THE BLACKWATER RIVER IN FRANKLIN COUNTY... THE PIGG RIVER IN PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY... GOOSE CREEK AND THE BIG OTTER RIVER IN BEDFORD AND CAMPBELL COUNTIES... FALLING RIVER IN CAMPBELL COUNTY... THE SMITH RIVER IN ROCKINGHAM COUNTY... AND THE HYCO RIVER IN HALIFAX COUNTY.

AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAINFALL IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION BY THIS EVENING.

Beetle

What color strike indicator should I use during these conditions?????    8@S

It is NASTY around here.....

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Beetle on November 12, 2009, 10:46:40 AM
What color strike indicator should I use during these conditions?????    8@S

Life Jacket orange!

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

22midge

that's right #3 most EPIRB'S are red or fluorescent orange with a bright white light. ;D ;D ;D
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

flatlander

Quote from: 22midge on November 12, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
that's right #3 most EPIRB'S are red or fluorescent orange with a bright white light. ;D ;D ;D

I disagree.  I have heard that the glare created by the low angle of the winter sun, even on cloudy/rainy days, renders life jacket orange nearly invisible to the human eye. I would suggest a solid black strike indicator to counteract this phenomenon. 

Furthermore, I think using EPIRBs for strike indicators is a pretty snobby thing to do, since most of us can't afford to purchase EPIRBs to use as strike indicators.  I realize my opinion includes a "lotta I thinks" and "hearsay", so please don't ask me to produce documentation proving EPIRBs make lousy strike indicators.  This is just my opinion.  :angel:

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Flatlander on November 12, 2009, 13:08:52 PM
Quote from: 22midge on November 12, 2009, 12:08:29 PM

I disagree.  I have heard that the glare created by the low angle of the winter sun, even on cloudy/rainy days, renders life jacket orange nearly invisible to the human eye. I would suggest a solid black strike indicator to counteract this phenomenon. 

Furthermore, I think using EPIRBs for strike indicators is a pretty snobby thing to do, since most of us can't afford to purchase EPIRBs to use as strike indicators.  I realize my opinion includes a "lotta I thinks" and "hearsay", so please don't ask me to produce documentation proving EPIRBs make lousy strike indicators.  This is just my opinion.  :angel:

there's one to fit about any budget:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

rjs123

Lot of water coming over the Martinsville Dam.  I ended up not going to Atlanta.  Im going out to see what the river looks like.

Date / Time - Gage height, feet  -  Discharge ft3/s
11/12/2009 10:30    7.08   6,460
11/12/2009 10:45    7.10   6,490
11/12/2009 11:00    7.11   6,500
11/12/2009 11:15    7.12   6,510
11/12/2009 11:30    7.14   6,540
11/12/2009 11:45    7.16   6,570
11/12/2009 12:00    7.16   6,570
11/12/2009 12:15    7.16   6,570
11/12/2009 12:30    7.16   6,570
11/12/2009 12:45    7.17   6,580
11/12/2009 13:00    7.11   6,500

5xTippett

Robert, Al just called me and said not to worry about fishing for awhile.  He said the river was pretty close to the bridges!  He also said the deer weren't moving either!  Give us a report when you get back.

22midge

Flatlander you might be right about the color.Now we know why it takes so long to find people sometime since most of the survival gear--life jacket --rafts-safety vest--immersion suits--EPIRBS are red or orange. ;D ;D ;D Since you are already paying the monthly rate for the EPIRB --why not use it?I like to use one of those plastic bananas for my indicator.Oh shit its yellow is that the wrong color? ;D ;D ;D Be safe
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

flatlander

Quote from: 22midge on November 12, 2009, 16:37:56 PM
Oh shit its yellow is that the wrong color? ;D ;D ;D Be safe

Only after Labor Day...you'll need to wait until Memorial Day before it's OK. ;D

rjs123

The river has gone up since yesterday but the good news is it stopped raining earlier today.  I think it may still go higher.  I went down to the Fieldale Bridge,  Koehler and also to the canoe launch at the end of the special regs.

Here are some pics with no generation:

[attach=1]
Same place as yesterday. You can see its gone up.

[attach=2]
This large rock usually sticks out of the water by a few feet down in Koehler.

[attach=3]
Looking up into the special regs from the canoe launch.

rjs123

Never mind about the rain stopping. Its raining again here in Fieldale.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: rjs123 on November 12, 2009, 17:31:18 PM
Never mind about the rain stopping. Its raining again here in Fieldale.

yeah, we got a break earlier in the day and I thought it was over... NOT!
me -There's a season?