Headwaters boo rod

Started by troutphisher, December 12, 2005, 20:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Well, the rod finally showed up, three days late. So much for USPS express service.
The rod tube that it arrived in, was to my surprise a pretty good tube, it is powder coated aluminum with a screw cap, that has a rubber "O"-ring gasket, the cap was polished aluminum.
The rod was in a cloth bag with three compartments, one for the butt and one each for the tips.
I removed the rod components and inspected them.

I was a little disappointed in the finish. The finish coat of varnish was not consistent, clearly there are spots that are thinner that other areas, It was more evident under a lighted magnifying glass.

Next I inspected the guide wraps, the wraps were very tight with no gaps between the threads, and the varnish coats were applied evenly and consistent.The color of the wrap is a maroon tipped with black, against the blond color cane, it was quite nice looking.

The cane itself was smoothly finished, clearly the finish sanding was done correctly, the nodes where sanded smooth, and no node lines were visible. The color of the cane is blond and the color is very consistent with the nodes being a shade lighter. The hexagon joints where all very tight, abutting to sharp corners, the edges smoothed over slightly.

The ferrules fit together nicely, they were tight, and when I removed the tip section, there was a slight pop sound as they came apart. Both tips fit in the same manner. The ferrules are polished silver nickle. The only fault here, was no indicator to line up the guides. I had to line them up by eye.

The butt section,real seat and handle was of the same construction as the tips, with the same finish characteristics, the cork handle is oversized which fits me better, so like this. The cork grade is of good quality, very smooth, with very small voids. The real seat was a little surprise also, the add said redwood root, but the seat is burled maple, with locking slip ring. The cap and metal hardware are nickle plated and are average quality, the plating is consistent with a finish polished appearance. The hook keeper was offset from axis of the guides by about 15 deg, I don't know if this was deliberate, but I like the idea. This might prevent the tippet from wrapping around the line when the hook is placed in the hook keep.

Casting the rod was impressive. The rod loaded nicely and the feel was good. I easily propelled the line out smoothly. The line I cast was the Cortland rocket taper 555 WF 5wt . This is what I had available. The rod cast's great at both long (40 ft) and short (10ft) throws. The taper is a Payne 101. I tried several flies, both dry and nymph,  that I had cut the barbs off for casting practice, and the rod cast each fly equally, this was a pleasure to cast.

Conclusion: If your looking for a boo rod as an investment, this is probably not the rod to buy.
However if you looking for a rod to fish with and don't mind it getting a little nicked and dirty, this rod fits the bill.
The cost of this rod is what provoked my interest, and at $400 it is a good fishing tool.
I plan to fish it often.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Good report TP, it sounds like a good value for $400! I hope you can report back soon about how it handles with a big Davidson River trout on the line!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

cmiller51h

Do you have an address to order one? I'm looking for a nice boo that won't break the bank. (There ain't that much bank left to break!)
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Peddler

It does not say on the website where these rods are made. Anyone know?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

troutphisher

Gofisher

Quote from: Peddler on December 19, 2005, 18:36:54 PM
It does not say on the website where these rods are made. Anyone know?

You don't like Matt's rods?  ;)

Peddler

Quote from: Gofisher on December 19, 2005, 18:57:04 PM
You don't like Matt's rods?  ;)

More than words can say!  ;D

Just don't want to blab too much so his rods don't get loved to death by others... kinda like the South Holston!  :o
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.