News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Nympheriority Complex

Started by jkilday4, November 24, 2008, 14:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkilday4

Well sorry I've not been posting much on here lately, but I wanted to run something very personal by you all & see what you think I should do - thanks in advance for any feedback:

I've been flyfishing for a couple of years now & have developed this terrible affliction.  Seems I'm getting considerable guilt now when I nymph with a strike indicator.  It has been my primary way of fishing, and it has brought me great satisfaction in the past.  But I now consider it inferior - I feel like I'm cheating!  I'll be dry fly or emerger fishing for a while...not having any luck, I'll fall into relapse: nonchalantly turn my back to my fishing partner...hands shaking, I'll sneak on an indy rig...belgian cast the two flies...drift...mend...take..fish on!   ;hb  Man it feels so good!  But then after I release the fish, I just feel so empty...   :'(

I've been putting in time trying to fish without one, but it's just so hard.  Heck I feel bad fishing a dry and a dropper - cause I use the dry primarily as an indicator!  On one hand, I'm into the instant gratification and I just can't waste many more single-digit fish days on trying to learn new disciplines.  On the other, I know that I'll be a better flyfisherman by putting in the time.  Is there a therapist or a book or something I can do?   ???  Please help!   o-o

Al

You're kidding, right?  ???

If you are serious I suggest you go to one of the other regional boards because a lot of those folks take pride in helping each other sort through their guilty feelings.

Trout Maharishi

Yep, one bullet and one large caliber handgun will cure it ;D ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Fire-Fly

Your right strike indicators are cheating and fly fishing imoral, matter of fact so are the new synthetic fly lines, graphite rods, machined aluminum reels, gortex wadres, synthetic fly materials, mono leaders. You should really go next time to the stream jump in buck naked and  stick your head under water and catch the fish with your mouth.
I'm with Al on this, is this supposed to be a joke? Really you feel bad about strike indicators, with all the new technology in fly fishing to help you catch fish, you feel bad about strike indicators? ???

Oldman

he he he! funny. I thought one fished to catch fish. Once you catch them then the game is over and you let thm go.

Now if you really want a challenge use your bare hands.

TROUTMASTER3000

Honestly, if you tie your own flies than you should not have any ethical problems.  If you are buying your own flies and are not stopped by some physical defects than you should feel bad.  That is my only opinion in the matter.  Tying you own flies just makes the game so much bigger/better.  Fuck strike indicators.  Ha
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

Woolly Bugger

caught 5 today on the surface on flies I tied... when the hatch stopped and I could no longer cast to fish that I could see I quit.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

TROUTMASTER3000

See, WB, thats what im talkin about.  Doesn't it feel so much better that something you created tricked the fish.  WB tell troutphisher that we all need to go fishing sometime.  It'll be amazing.  You guys can drink beer while I wish I could be drinking a beer, and we'll all catch fish, and it'll be amazing.  But Pete's gotta come cause hes the only grown-up i know on here and I don't wanna get like murdered by you crazy old men.  But seriously can we go sometime?
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

Trout Maharishi

Masterblaster,
If your idea of an adult authority figure is Pete you are in deep trouble ;D ;)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jkilday4

'Stay positive.'

'Don't put so much pressure on yourself.'

'Don't sweat the small stuff...and remember it's all small stuff.'  (Thanks G.Niles for that one...)

These were some of the thoughts running through my head as I left the therapist's office (I tried to forget 'Yep, one bullet and one large caliber handgun will cure it'...) and geared up to nymph Lenny's Hole for a couple of hours this late afternoon on falling water.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I think I'm gonna be okay...thanks for letting me vent.   0--0

TROUTMASTER3000

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 25, 2008, 11:03:42 AM
Masterblaster,
If your idea of an adult authority figure is Pete you are in deep trouble ;D ;)

I love Masterblaster!  I should have named myself that... HA. 
AMERICA RULES

CR

These guys seem mostly harmless, the guy you should worry about is that crazy SOB fly fishing with live shad :-X

Oh yeah- Nice brown!

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

TROUTMASTER3000

Quote from: CR on November 26, 2008, 12:00:16 PM
These guys seem mostly harmless, the guy you should worry about is that crazy SOB fly fishing with live shad :-X

Oh yeah- Nice brown!

Hahahaha.  Yea how do you feel about that jkil?  If you do happen to use live shad as you "fly", should you use a strike indicator or not?  And if so, yarn or football? 
AMERICA RULES

jkilday4

TROUTMASTER3000

>:( :( ??? Dude I'm kidding.  I hope your joking back.  It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes but that is rediculous if your serious.
AMERICA RULES