News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dee-Vo

I hit the Smith for a couple hours yesterday. I'll post my joke of a report soon. I'm glad I wasn't the only one without much luck....but, I did have luck --- if you can call it that.

Dee-Vo

Sunday morning was windy and nice and chilly. I had bigger water on my mind. I headed to the Smith since no generation was taking place. It's always nice to gain a good swift kick to the balls for your fishing efforts. This place is challenging, I like it. But, it really pisses me off at times.

Low and clear it was. The first area I hiked into was already occupied by a group of young dudes goofing off in the edge of the water. Maybe a circle jerk....didn't get close enough to get a good view. I turned and went downriver a good ways. Slid down the bank and began fishing.

None of the famed browns ever showed themselves besides the one I spooked. Imagine that.

A few free hours yielded one rainbow that very well may've been a stocked fish. Truthfully, I was damned happy to net that fish. No lie.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I don't know my way around very well up here so maybe in the future I'll do a little better. I've caught fish each time I've been there but never any larger fish. At least I caught the train coming by as I rolled out.

Woolly Bugger

One fish (is better than no fish)
Red fish
Two fish
Blue dosh
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Got enough rain for a while  :;!  :o

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

I was considering fishing the SF Holston above Beuller on Sat.
Ugh, no....
Go high, or die.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 06, 2020, 17:18:23 PMGot enough rain for a while  :;!  :o

4.3 inches thus far in Elkin

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

Probably a good idea to follow Doug to some of his high country creeks this week

Here is the latest that came into my inbox today............

WEATHER:
Additional light to moderate rain forecast for most of the next 7 days, totaling 1.5-2" in the upper Roanoke Basin and 1-1.5" in the lower Roanoke Basin.

PHILPOTT:
- Currently near elevation 977.5 and peaking.
- Continuous generation is scheduled for the rest of the week.
- Sluice gate releases (650 cfs) started today and will extend through Thursday afternoon, for a total release of about 1300 cfs.

Al

Smith looks to be un-wadeable next week as well. That should scatter the Rainbows they stocked in the lower river yesterday.  - Stakeout Doug's house and follow him to his secret blue line creeks.

PHILPOTT:
- Currently near elevation 976.0 and falling after peaking at 977.48.
- Continuous generation is scheduled through the end of next week.
- Sluice gate releases (650 cfs) will be stopped this afternoon.

troutrus

With heavy flows lately, I fully expect to hear some reports of stocker rainbows being caught down here in Eden. Used to be fairly common before land owners blocked access to the good areas. 😡
Feb 7th the water was as high as I've ever seen it on the Smith in Eden.
This is at the greenway/canoe access area about 1.5 miles up from the river mouth.

Here's the Smith several hundred yards from it's confluence with the Dan R. 1st and 18th fairways at Lynrock GC.

Woolly Bugger

Yikes, that's a lot of water!
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Rooting around along the Dan River this morning in Eden, just upstream from where the Smith dumps in.
As reference, the bench appears to be approx. 20 feet above the current river level.

Dee-Vo

Wonder how they finished their picnic meal with the water getting so high?

Dougfish

An exclusive dining experience. :o
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

Heads up - looks like there is going to be maintenance going on at Philpott - not sure how they will handle the excess water but generation is going down starting Feb 25 through March 12th.  Here is the latest.....

PHILPOTT: 

Energy declared at Philpott is for continuous generation through 0600 Tuesday (2/25) morning. Unit one will go into an outage after this time through Mar 12