o no, not another new guy......

Started by herofthecreek, October 20, 2011, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herofthecreek

hey all, im new here but love the pics and reports. With that said, i figured id contribute a little and give a report for the smith from yesterday....

Started out at the crack of dawn on the trophy section, i was hoping for some stained water with all the rain we got tuesday night, but seems we didnt get any mud washed down from towne creek. Even though the water was clear as day i decided to stick with throwing streamers in hopes the fish might cooperate under the gray skies. I managed to get three on olive whooly buggers, not the big boys ive been hunting for, but boy those colors are hard to beat

[attachimg=1]
you can tell it rained on me quite a bit, my fingers looked like prunes by days end...
[attachimg=2]
lost this fly with the orange thread wrapped at the head, they seem to like it though
[attachimg=3]

After finishing up at the trophy section i met up with a buddy in fieldale and we went to fish low on the river where the big boys hang out under logs and rocks, no dice. I know there are big browns in that river, finding them and getting them to eat flies is a different story.... guess in the meantime ill be praying for rain and tinted water...

5xTippett

They didn't shock any browns over 15 1/2 inches above the Martinsville dam this year that I am aware of.  Anything over 12 inches is a good one for that river.

22midge

5x there is not many fish over 15 1/2" in the entire river  ;D  All they got to eat is midges and beetles.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

herofthecreek

theyre in there...not my fish, but you get the idea...

franzenangler

"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

herofthecreek

figured someone would point that out  b';, thankfully ive managed to convert the kid who caught this to fly fishing and C&R -0-

tattdflythrower

thats a good thing cuz it looks like 23 and a half to me  .. poacher haha :P
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Holmes

Quote from: herofthecreek on October 20, 2011, 15:36:56 PM

So what did that thing take? Garden hackle or rooster tail? Looks delicious ;D

herofthecreek

Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 19:31:41 PM
Quote from: herofthecreek on October 20, 2011, 15:36:56 PM

So what did that thing take? Garden hackle or rooster tail? Looks delicious ;D

i think he was throwin small dogs, but im told that fish was caught on a crawler  b';
ive been searching high and low for fly patterns that look like nightcrawlers, no dice so far...guess its back to the vise for now

tattdflythrower

I was talkin about that just today at work , a night crawler pattern, . It would have to work i mean a brown just cant resist a big ol night crawler ,let a lone any trout, never used one but i have a couple b . f.  buddies n i cant knock it , I just want one i can keep in my box.

herofthecreek

i seen something online that looked like a pretty good pattern. It was a bunch of brown braided chenniel with copper wire to make the segments. I imagine ill figure something out that looks edible, just gotta find the right materials....im also lookin into tiny baby brown streamer patterns. I found one thats a double bunny with barred grizzly brown at the top and yellow on bottom. You sure as heck aint gonna catch those meat eaters on midges and beetles, at least not from what ive seen. I mean what 23 inch brown gets that big off eating all size 22 insects!!?? :-\

tattdflythrower

natureboy

Holmes

A big tan san juan worm tied with ultra chenille in the largest size should do the trick..... :D

Transylwader