News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T5Video, slats, creakycane, itieuglyflies and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

I've not been fishing this month! going crazy, waiting for all this rain to subside .. but good to see some body got after them on the Smith!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

I went for the first time in about 6 weeks this past weekend.  I fished for about 30 minutes on Saturday afternoon on the one of the few places I could stand on the bank on high water and caught a grand total of 2 fish.  It started raining and I left and ate a pizza. Spent the night and fished Sunday from around 9 until 1 or so.  I caught around 20 during that period.  I caught some of the smallest fish I have caught out of there in years.  I caught 6 fish in the slot with the biggest being maybe 12 inches.  I caught fish that would have made a sardine look like a whale.

Dougfish

I scooted down to the river this morning for a little therapy. Between rains and goofy generation schedules, the Smith has been tough to get on without a bote. A NC tagged truck beat me to the parking lot. He must have started at the trestle hole because I could just barely make him out downriver when I fished around the bend. Cooler temps this morning, no mist on the river. Flubbed a bunch of fish pics today, so a lite report.

My welcoming committee was there. Black dog wouldn't pose, but was present.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The river was cloudy from storms they got yesterday. Just made my footwork a little dicier. Fish still cooperated. Beadhead PT soft hackle is still the go to. Lost one, missed a few, scored enough to make the day.

Most of today's fish were in the 10-11" range. But not this frisky little fellow.

Hopped out before the generation got to me and headed home.

On the honey/bee theme. Sourwood honey in progress

0:0 mates! To the beach for most of next week. No rod. A week of Sweetie time buys me unlimited fishing upon our return.  :-*

Al

What did you do to that last fish? (Just before the flower shots) It looks abnormal - might even be related to a snakefish or eel. Take a look - expect it is the camera angle but sure looks thin.

Dougfish

Quote from: Al on July 26, 2013, 13:20:01 PM
What did you do to that last fish? (Just before the flower shots) It looks abnormal - might even be related to a snakefish or eel. Take a look - expect it is the camera angle but sure looks thin.

Half in the water, half out. Does look weird.

consumnfire1229

I was hoping to go this weekend, but the rain is going to keep me away...
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

I'm coming off a weeks vacation that involved running to the NC for 4 7 1/2 days and then on to the high hills of Northen WV for the weekend (I was a good boy and didn't take the rods to the beach or WV ;D). We were pooped when we rolled in last night, so my wife decided to work from home and I decided to get in a half day of fishing before hitting the road for work for the rest of the week. Got a lazy start and hopped out before the noon generation got to me. Didn't slay, didn't suck.

Got high holed by man's best friends before I could get rigged up.  b';

Fish, fish, fish. Browns, browns, browns. Stood in the middle of the river and talked with consumnfire by phone just to rub it in.  :-*

Flubbed the pic on maybe the nicest fish of the day.

0:0

tomato can

Nice Dougfish.  Maybe we can go fishing together before the summer is out but we is running' out of time.

Dougfish

Quote from: tomato can on August 05, 2013, 14:26:49 PM
Nice Dougfish.  Maybe we can go fishing together before the summer is out but we is running' out of time.

Next week. Give me a call and we'll plan. You know, decide daaaays ahead of time....... ;D

consumnfire1229

Nice work!  That second fish is a beauty!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Al

There was another Smith River Clean Up this past weekend so I made the 147 mile journey north to lend a hand. This was the third clean up of the year. The groups who spearheaded the previous clean ups were publicly thanked for helping get the river in great shape for the upcoming Smith River Fest http://www.visitmartinsville.com/Smith-River-Fest.html . We didn't have the big turnout we had last year but there were enough to get the job done. I did see several folks wearing Trout Unlimited hats which is always encouraging. The Martinsville Bulletin did a story today along with photos at http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=38586

A fellow from Greensboro came up to help out and to learn a little about the river. We hit it off, so once the clean up was over I provided him up with a sketch map and gave him a "windshield tour"of the river which included some of my favorite sections along with access points. He did not bring his fishing gear or I would have included a little sampling of the river. Once he headed back to Greensboro I had an early dinner, pulled on my waders and headed out to fish until dark.

I wasn't the only one with the same idea because the first two places I went to fish were already covered by local fishermen. Not to worry the Smith has +30 miles of trout holding water and most of it is decent fishing. I finally settled on a long stretch of flat water. The depth ranged from knee to chest deep – ideal holding area for a big brown.

Well not exactly the big brown I was looking for but at least I know there are fish here. No breeze this evening and it must have been in the lower 90's. I actually broke into a sweat anytime I  was in water less then waist deep. The water was real smooth and I could see a long way upstream –  only 2-3 rises observed the entire evening.

Only decent fish of the evening and he was still shy of the 10 inch protected slot limit. I caught a decent number but it was hard fishing and the size was so-so. I tried a variety of flies (I normally cast three at a time) but every one of them came to the fly you saw in the first fish photo.

The exit point had a nice riffle which I fished hard and succeeded in adding a couple more to the tally. All in all a good evening – not what I had hoped for but still a good evening of fishing. 

I hope to see some of you at the Smith River Fest on Saturday, August 10th at the Smith River Sports Complex, 1000 Irisburg Road in Axton, just off the Hwy 58 Bypass.  Smith River TU will have a booth right next to the beer garden. We'll be tying flies, giving casting lessons and talking up the regions fishing opportunities. If you bring your gear one of us might even go fishing with you afterwards.

wind_knot

Quote from: Dougfish on August 05, 2013, 13:47:49 PM

I think we need to change your name to Dogfish as many times as he's been fishing with you!! ;D

Dougfish

Quote from: wind_knot on August 06, 2013, 05:27:40 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on August 05, 2013, 13:47:49 PM

I think we need to change your name to Dogfish as many times as he's been fishing with you!! ;D

Yellowdog and Blackdog greet me in the parking area almost every trip. I pet and talk to them, but I don't feed them. I could never get rid of them if they got a treat.

wind_knot

You can't get rid of them now! If you gave them a treat, they'd be in the car before you could open the door all the way!!

rford

Has anyone heard or know about a possible draw down of Philpott Lake in the next month or so?  I have heard that they have a leak in the dam that means generating until they lower the lake by 60 feet.  That will mean a good deal of 24/7 generating.