Unlimited Nuclear Disaster Updates

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 16, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Lethal radiation levels detected in Fukushima nuke plant reactor lid

>>>The operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could be forced to reconsider the plant's decommissioning process after lethal radiation levels equivalent to those of melted nuclear fuel were detected near one of the lids covering a reactor.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority said Sept. 14 that a radiation reading near the surface of the lid of the No. 2 reactor's containment vessel was 1.2 sieverts per hour, higher than the level previously assumed.

The discovery came on Sept. 9 during a study by the NRA and Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of the plant.

TEPCO plans to insert a robotic arm into the No. 2 reactor's containment vessel from its side in a trial planned for the second half of 2022 to retrieve pieces of melted nuclear fuel.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The round concrete lid, called the shield plug, is 12 meters in diameter and about 60 centimeters thick.

The shield plug consists of three lids placed on top of each other to block extremely high radiation emanating from the reactor core.

Each lid weighs 150 tons.

When operators work on the decommissioning, the shield plug will be removed to allow for the entry into the containment vessel.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14440765
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Regulators: Waste stored poorly at Fukushima plant

>>>Japanese nuclear regulators have urged the operator of the disabled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to improve the way it manages accumulating waste at the complex.

Most of the radioactive waste generated through decommissioning of the plant is being stored at designated outdoor depots.

But wreckage and other clutter that cannot be quickly transported there is instead being kept at interim sites for up to one year in principle.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority says the volume of waste at the interim sites reached 60,000 cubic meters in July, surging more than eight-fold from the figure in January of last year.

WATCH THE VIDEO

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210919_01/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The most dangerous place in Ukraine is one you have never heard of
It won't come as a surprise that radioactive contamination is a major headache facing the government of Ukraine, the country that inherited the Chernobyl nuclear power plant after the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991.

>>>What is surprising is that much of that contamination is no longer coming from Chernobyl at all. Instead, it originates at a site that's remained largely unknown to the outside world – and that poses, according to some experts, an even graver danger than the ghosts of the world's most famous nuclear disaster.

To reach it, you travel about 10 hours by road to the southeast from the Chernobyl site near the Belarussian border into center of the country. There, along the banks of the Dnieper River, lie the neglected remains of one of the Soviet Union's largest nuclear weapons production factories and uranium mining facilities.

It's called the Pridnieproskvy Chemical Plant and it now houses more than 15 times the amount of radioactive waste to be found within the rubble of Chernobyl's No 4 reactor, which exploded in 1986.

Much of this waste lies in the open air, wholly unshielded from humans and the environment, or marked off by patches of fencing that gives no warning about what it encloses. In other places at the site, long neglected waste from uranium processing, called uranium tailings, emits toxic gasses and leaks into ground water and waterways.

https://bellona.org/news/nuclear-issues/2021-09-the-most-dangerous-place-in-ukraine-is-one-you-have-never-heard-of
me -There's a season?

Phil

Woolly Bugger

How to reduce the risk of a catastrophic spent nuclear fuel fire near the Persian Gulf

>>>The 2021 operational launch of two reactors at the Barakah power plant in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) demonstrates the growth of nuclear energy in the Middle East. Over the next two years, there will be five reactors operating in the Persian Gulf­—four reactors at Barakah and Iran's Bushehr reactor, which has been running since 2013. If Iran and Saudi Arabia fulfill their proposed plans to build new nuclear reactors, the number will rise to at least eight reactors in the gulf by 2030.

There are many reasons for concern about the safety of nuclear facilities in the gulf. Particularly in the region where Bushehr is located, Iran is prone to seismic activity. The UAE has limited experience in operating nuclear facilities. And terrorist groups have identified energy infrastructure as a key target—and even attacked nuclear installations.

It is in this context we raise an alarm about the possibility of a severe nuclear accident in the gulf, driven by a fire in one of the spent nuclear fuel pools of the Bushehr or Barakah power plants. As we explain in detail in our recent paper in Science and Global Security, the local and possibly global economic implications of such an accident are huge.

https://thebulletin.org/2021/10/how-to-reduce-the-risk-of-a-catastrophic-spent-nuclear-fuel-fire-near-the-persian-gulf/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Foragers warned Chernobyl radiation is poisoning German forests

>>>Mushrooms, berries and wild boar in the forests of southern Germany are still partially contaminated with dangerous levels of radioactive material from the Chernobyl disaster 35 years ago, scientists have said.

Those who may be tempted to forage in parts of the countryside around Munich have been warned to avoid picking blueberries, cranberries and certain fungi because of the high concentrations of caesium-137, an unstable isotope with a half-life of 30 years.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foragers-warned-chernobyl-radiation-is-poisoning-german-forests-zxgcdcnqb

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Head of Chernobyl nuclear reactor - who was sentenced to 10 years' hard labour in 'last of the show trials' after it exploded in 1986 – dies aged 85
  • Viktor Bryukhanov was the manager of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat
  • Explosion at reactor four spewed radiation over the entire region in April 1986
  • He and five others were sent to labour camp for ten years for nuclear disaster

The head of the Chernobyl power plant who was sentenced to ten years at a labour camp for his part in the nuclear disaster has died at the age of 85.

Viktor Bryukhanov was the manager of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat, northern Ukraine, when an explosion at reactor four spewed radiation over the region, including parts of Belarus and Europe, in April 1986.

The blast, which emitted more than 400 times the amount of radiation into the atmosphere than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945, occurred during a safety test and saw Soviet authorities take 36 hours to launch a full-scale evacuation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10118379/Head-Chernobyl-nuclear-reactor-dies-aged-85.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The ageing nuclear arsenal of the United States heralds a disaster in the making

America's nuclear reactors are getting old. Most reactors which operated in the early days are still active today. The oldest one opened in 1969 and the average age of the reactors in the country is nearly 40 years which is considered too old for sensitive nuclear reactors.

Ten years ago the Fukushima meltdown triggered a flurry of media coverage, raising alarms within the US about the decrepit reactors and whether they are safe enough.

The US government appears to be on the verge of losing control of its nuclear resources, and it wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2021/10/25/669214/US-decrepit-Nuclear-infrastructure-disaster-in-making
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Ice wall around Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant monitored with abnormity

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Book Review;

Experimenting with hydrogen bombs, the U.S. blew lives apart

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>Harold Agnew, former director of the Los Alamos nuclear weapons lab, believed that world leaders should be periodically required to witness the detonation of a hydrogen bomb, simply to remind them of what would happen if things got out of hand. Agnew had been on the chase plane that followed the Enola Gay to Hiroshima, and he observed many of the nuclear weapons tests that are the subject of Walter Pincus's excellent book, "Blown to Hell: America's Deadly Betrayal of the Marshall Islanders." Pincus, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The Washington Post until his retirement in 2015, was inspired to write "Blown to Hell" because of an "obsession" during his more than 50 years of covering national security issues: "People today have forgotten, if they ever knew, what a single nuclear weapon can do."

They will learn from Pincus's book. The title comes from a Bob Hope joke: "As soon as the war ended, we located the one spot on earth that hadn't been touched by war and blew it to hell." It was no joke, however, to the inhabitants of the Marshall Islands — five islands and 29 coral atolls in the mid-Pacific, with a land area about the size of D.C. — when the United States decided to use their home, a trust territory, as a nuclear proving ground after the bombs got too big to be tested in the American desert. For decades, the Marshall Islanders would be moved around like pawns in a Cold War chess game — becoming the "unwitting, and perhaps unwilling, nomads of the atomic age," admitted a Navy official.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/experimenting-with-hydrogen-bombs-the-us-blew-lives-apart/2021/11/03/4dd2015e-3053-11ec-a1e5-07223c50280a_story.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

20 years, yea right b'; If you don't know what half life means look it up.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 12, 2021, 16:32:27 PM20 years, yea right b'; If you don't know look up what half life means look it up.

Cesium-137 has a half-life of 30 years
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

It's been 10 years since the accident and they are saying in 20 years it will be at it's half life. Will Cesium-137 at 50% strength of it original state still kill you 20 years from now or just give you leukemia or some crap like that?
http://www.actforlibraries.org/understanding-the-half-life-of-cesium-137/
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski