News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: Fly Rod Warranty - Repairs...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 12:29:31 PM
just got off the horn with Sage, my SP has been in the repair que for 4 weeks now, should be a couple more weeks... now the kicker... my rod has a "golden ticket" serial number starting with QRS, back in the 90's when these were made, in order to compete with other rod manufacturers, Sage offered a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty. So they are repairing the rod for free.

This was a rod that I got from TU when I signed up for a Lifetime membership.  d:b
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 09:33:36 AM
Lengthy Multimedia Presentation at the WAPO -- Follow the river from the headwaters to the Sea of Cortez

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/interactive/2022/colorado-river-crisis/?itid=hp-top-table-main&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

THE COLORADO
RIVER IS IN
CRISIS, AND IT'S
GETTING WORSE
EVERY DAY

>>>The Colorado River is in crisis — one deepening by the day.
It is a powerhouse: a 1,450-mile waterway that stretches from the Rocky Mountains to the Sea of Cortez, serving 40 million people in seven U.S. states, 30 federally recognized tribes and Mexico. It hydrates 5 million acres of agricultural land and provides critical habitat for rare fish, birds and plants.

Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 09:08:55 AM
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 08:44:36 AM
For this summer's water forecast, climate experts are looking back to winter

>>>n the middle of a parched summer in the arid West, any amount of rain can feel like a gift. But in reality, those precious summer showers barely move the needle when it comes to water.

"Regardless of what you get in the summer," said Becky Bolinger, Colorado's assistant state climatologist, "what really impacts the water availability in the Colorado River is what happens in the winter."

As a drought-stricken region looks ahead to the summer, climate scientists are keeping an eye on high-mountain snowpack and its path to streams and rivers. Snow at high altitudes makes up the majority of the water in the Colorado River – where this past winter has left low totals. On top of that, warm temperatures and dry soil mean that snow is likely to melt early and soak into the ground before it can get to the Colorado River.

https://knpr.org/knpr/2022-05/summers-water-forecast-climate-experts-are-looking-back-winter
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Salmon / Steelhe...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 08:40:20 AM
'Off the charts': Copper River salmon is already nearing $1,000 per fish -- and that's just for pre-orders

Alaska-headquartered harvester, processor and supplier Copper River Seafoods has nearly sold out of its pre-orders for its 8-ounce sockeye salmon .

Inflation doesn't seem to be taking the wind out of Copper River salmon's first-catch appeal. 'We had so many pre-orders already, tomorrow will be hell,' one seller told IntraFish.

https://www.intrafish.com/markets/off-the-charts-copper-river-salmon-is-already-nearing-1-000-per-fish-and-thats-just-for-pre-orders/2-1-1220069
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 07:42:29 AM

#62  70s Gas $3.29

Back to home waters. Needed a break, so I headed up in the late afternoon to see if I could catch a hatch.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I wasn't sure if I was going to have to nymph or not, but I saw a couple of fish rise in the run and that was enough for me to go dry.

Small sulfurs were floating down in the glare of the evening sun, and it was difficult to see the fly. I even crossed the river in hopes that it would be better. It wasn't.

First fish was a bow, and I was worried that was all I was going to catch. But all the rest were browns, small feisty and pretty.

For the next hour it was on, and many fish came to hand. It slowed down after an hour or so and I took a break.

Then, as the sun was down behind the ridge, the fish began to rise again. It never got stupid easy, but another dozen fish came to hand before it was over for the day.

Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: PFF Shady Valley V--43
Last post by Phil - May 16, 2022, 09:33:51 AM
A few of my pics -- it was a good urn. Thanks for cooking dinner Sat. night, Woolly. Awesome loon stew.

Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: PFF Shady Valley V--43
Last post by Woolly Bugger - May 15, 2022, 21:09:06 PM

#59, #60

didn't take many photos at all this trip...

The Gravel Bar / Re: Gas Prices
Last post by Onslow - May 15, 2022, 20:30:26 PM
Support the BRFFF