Drought in the South worsens -- NC Governor calls for volunteer conservation!

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 16, 2007, 09:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

In North Carolina, Gov. Michael F. Easley asked residents Monday to stop using water for any purpose "not essential to public health and safety." He warned that he would soon have to declare a state of emergency if voluntary efforts fell short.

"Now I don't want to have to use these powers," Mr. Easley told a meeting of mayors and other city officials. "As leaders of your communities, you know what works best at the local level. I am asking for your help."

Officials in the central North Carolina town of Siler City estimate that without rain, they are 80 days from draining the Lower Rocky River Reservoir, which supplies water for the town's 8,200 people.

In the Atlanta metropolitan area, which has more than four million people, worst-case analyses show that the city's main source of water, Lake Lanier, could be drained dry in 90 to 121 days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/16/us/16drought.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/drought/story/738460.html

Gov. Mike Easley traveled from the governor's mansion Monday to deliver what was billed as a major, drought-related announcement: Save more water.

"It's time now that I'm going to have to call on you to be decisive," Easley said in a speech at the N.C. League of Municipalities annual conference. "We need every single community and every single citizen in North Carolina now doing everything they can to save every drop of water they can."

To avoid a crisis months from now, Easley urged leaders of North Carolina towns and cities to set even stricter rules in their communities: No watering outside, period; no washing down houses, sidewalks or driveways; no car washing.

Of the 599 water systems tracked by state officials, just 111 are under mandatory restrictions, but that includes most of the state's major cities, including Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte. Some officials at the conference said the governor, who could have made an emergency drought declaration, wasn't proposing anything new to them.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

jkilday4

For our area in E. TN., much of the same: roughly 16" of rainfall YTD with the all time low on record being just over 30" in 1939.  Looks like that record will be smashed....   :(

brownhunter

Looks like I may need to move to Montana 0--0

I've always wanted to go back home ;D
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

The pic of the lake tells the story. I can't fish the free stone streams in these conditions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

peter p

Way to depress me Woolly.   But, it is an important message.  I went through this in Denver when I lived there.  They went as far as draining reservoirs and combining them into other reservoirs so you only had evaporation in 1 water source only. 

While the water company was doing this, some brilliant HOAs wrote tickets to their residents for brown lawns as they stopped watering them to conserve.  It was very comical at the time.  People refused to pay them and eventually the tickets were dropped.  Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees! 
Peter

Txfly

...When I went back to Tx in the spring, the old timers were talking of this. I listened, doubled my storage capacity on the holding tanks to 1800 gallons....I'm on a spring out here...damn glad I did it back then, we went dry once this month already...the river is going down about 2 inches a week right now...not good.

Trout Maharishi

I am trying to do my part. I have stopped drinking water, chang only now >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

peter p

I drove to the DH section of Curtis Creek to check out the flows after work today because I was bored.  I almost cried.  Which probably would have been good as it would have doubled the water flow.  Very scary! 
Peter

troutjedi

Quote from: brownhunter on October 16, 2007, 10:41:31 AM

45 degrees and raining right now, might get a bit of snow up in the mountains tonight.  All of the rivers are back up to normal flows AND......the fishing is spanktacular right now.  I'm not jealous of you guys at all   ;hb ;hb ;hb

peter p

Just remember Jedi, winter is right around the corner.  We will get out paybacks!!!
Peter

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutjedi on October 17, 2007, 19:42:58 PM

45 degrees and raining right now, might get a bit of snow up in the mountains tonight.  All of the rivers are back up to normal flows AND......the fishing is spanktacular right now.  I'm not jealous of you guys at all   ;hb ;hb ;hb

admit it you've not been fishing since i left this summer... show me some MT fishing reports...   >:D
me -There's a season?

troutphisher

Jetti,

$300 a month room and board? I can be there next week  ;D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutjedi

Quote from: troutphisher on October 17, 2007, 20:04:10 PM

Jetti,

$300 a month room and board? I can be there next week  ;D

The jedi hotel is always open for business   0--0