Tilley hats and a River runs through it....

Started by lostnwilderness, May 15, 2011, 21:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostnwilderness

Just to stir the pot, I had an interesting conversation today with a group of "anglers" all rocking the newest tilley high air flow hats, $400 waders, $1,000 rods and $500 reels and otherwise looking dashing...  Did not see them fishing however b';

Got to the trib that i was fishing (not the main river with all of the "regular crew") had a good day then came out to hear the local contingent bitching about the tilley hat river runs through it crew.  Had to stop in for a laugh and to hear that conversation.

So I am bringing that conversation to this board, thoughts on the movie and the hats? ;D
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

diaz dassie

Tilley hat river runs through it crew :laugh: Well fuck me. Thats a mouth full. Thankfully, I never see this crowd, unless Im on my way to my friends cabin in Balsam Grove and I drive by the douche magnet Davidson. Speaking of which, how did Looking Glass creek fish today :P

mecnc

I didn't even know what a Tilley hat was until I googled it. $77 at REI. To rich for my blood but so are $1000 rods.

The Dude

What a bunch of losers.  That's why I stick with cane poles, split shot and red worms when I go set up on my favorite trout hole.  I can out fish those catalog jerks every time and I don't need to spend a bunch of money and look like some fly fishing faerie.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on May 16, 2011, 04:26:44 AM
What a bunch of losers.  That's why I stick with cane poles, split shot and red worms when I go set up on my favorite trout hole.  I can out fish those catalog jerks every time and I don't need to spend a bunch of money and look like some fly fishing faerie.

well said, well said.    'c;

MBB

Personally, I do not care much one way or the other.  I find it a bit amusing that some are in to the fly fishing fashion scene so much that they will spend extravagant sums of money to look like a novelty item.  Those folks care more about fashion than they do about fishing.  I care about catching fish in a beautiful enviornment.

But, hopefully they are supporting the local fly shops and for that I am grateful.  And, some good things about those types is that they do not tend to fish long or frequent my trout water.  They are more of comedic relief than a pest.

Big J

Quote from: mecnc on May 16, 2011, 00:18:55 AM
I didn't even know what a Tilley hat was until I googled it. $77 at REI. To rich for my blood but so are $1000 rods.

I'm with you on this one, I had no idea what a tilley hat was either.  I usually only ever run into "the tilley hat river runs through it crew" whenever I go to the fly shops or Orvis.

lostnwilderness

@Transylwader, "how did Looking Glass creek fish today"
Very good guess but not correct.  I have not fished LGC in a few years.  The creek I fished fished well but not outstandingabout 8 fishing all rianbows biggest was about 9"  Good day for the limited ammount of time I got out there.

Whoever coined the phrase, "Fishing Faries" - Brilliant! 'c;
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

Stuart R.

CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Al

Going to shock you all but I own a Tilley hat and liked (actually disliked) the movie.

Bought the original Tilley hat "way back when" - needed a replacement hat and saw it at a store in Anchorage on one of my trips to visit my daughter who lives up there. The price turned me off but then I saw it came with an instruction manual and thought to myself, "any hat with a manual must be good" - and it is.  Liked the story about a elephant trainer who recycled his thorough the elephant several times - just washed it off and plopped it back on his head. Mine is pretty beat up but still shades my eyes, keeps a fly from embedding itself in my ear and sheds water.

I liked or disliked the movie because Paul reminded me so much of my long ago deceased brother - you could see he was headed for trouble but there was very little you could do about it.  And let's not forget, half of you guys who hang around these forums would still be chucking crank baits :o if the movie had not thrust fly fishing into the mainstream.

diaz dassie

Quote from: Al on May 16, 2011, 14:54:43 PM
And let's not forget, half of you guys who hang around these forums would still be chucking crank baits :o if the movie had not thrust fly fishing into the mainstream.
Thats right Al, Im thinking all of these guys, except me. South Africa never got TV till 1994 when Nelson Mandela was released :o I had my 1st fly rod in 1985, a shakspeare Summit and a Phlueger Medalist reel spooled with Cortland 333 line. I thought I was the shit then ;D

jwgnc

As another said, they don't fish long.  And they spend big at the auctions that support streams and habitat and they usually support the local chapters

We'll have to start teachinv the Boy Scouts to smear some mud on their new gear.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Phil

I fly fished for 30+ years before the "River Runs Through It" movie was made. I like it, however.
I don't have a Tilley hat, or $400 waders. I have a few high-dollar rods, a few cheap rods ( that I tend to use a lot), and a few good reels. I don't diss anyone who spends big money. If I had big money, I'd probably be a gear hog.

This discussion has been carried out ad nauseum for the past 5-6 years that I have been checking flyfishing boards.  b';

Fish or don't fish. If you have the money to buy high-dollar stuff, more power to ya. Just shut up and fish.  ;D

possessed

Will I catch more fish wearing a tilly hat vs. wearing my smelly, nasty, and torn Simms dessert camo trucker hat?   ;D

I really could care a less what anyone wears, just have fun fishing.  However,  I have to admit,  it does crack me up a bit when I see guys wearing and carrying thousands of dollars worth of top of the line gear and they can not catch a fish or cast more than 10 feet. 

Fortunately, like T'wader, I rarely see another fisherman in the places I fish.

Phil

"Fortunately, like T'wader, I rarely see another fisherman in the places I fish."

If I see another fisherman (or see a fishing vehicle) in the wild places I usually fish, I hike back to the car and go somewhere else.