News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Around 11:30am yesterday I got the second dose of Moderna.  Slept like a baby, no effects.

Rock on folks!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

Quote from: Al on February 09, 2021, 13:54:10 PMGot my 2nd shot at 0930 this morning. So far so good. I will give an update tomorrow.

Just before bedtime my bones started to ache. Felt like I'd been shot at and missed and shit at and hit. Feeling a little better now but not planning to do much today.

Still, overall I am glad I got the shots

troutrus

Al, which brand did you receive?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Around 10am this morning I started to experience minor chilling.  I question if it was the 2nd Moderna or knowing I was forced to spend the entire day with the Mrs, which I rarely do.  We just celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary so I felt somewhat obligated.

Home alone now and chills have disappeared.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

Quote from: troutrus on February 10, 2021, 14:04:26 PMAl, which brand did you receive?

Moderna  -  The gal who gave me the shot said I would feel it. She was right. Bone ache is gone but I felt a little nauseous this afternoon. Took a nap and feel pretty good now. Going to bed early tonight. I expect I will be back to normal in the morning.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Thank you NC screw you Va. Had to drive 300 miles but wife and I were able to get first vaccine
dose today in NC. Have been on multiple lists for a couple of weeks in Richmond to no avail.

Daughter in Boone located a Walgreens near Grandfather Mountain that had openings and we made the
trip. Hopefully by second dose time we can find something closer to home.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on February 12, 2021, 22:01:44 PMThank you NC screw you Va. Had to drive 300 miles but wife and I were able to get first vaccine
dose today in NC. Have been on multiple lists for a couple of weeks in Richmond to no avail.

Daughter in Boone located a Walgreens near Grandfather Mountain that had openings and we made the
trip. Hopefully by second dose time we can find something closer to home.

Did they not make an appt for your second shot after you received the first one? I read that they plan the 2nd dose to be administered at the same location...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

itieuglyflies

Actually got second appts. scheduled at a location in Boone. It's not mandatory that you get second dose at same place. (it's better for the high country that I get scheduled at another location since rain and bad weather usually follows me to this area)

Dougfish

Just got my second Pfizer shot.
Out of the hundreds of folks in the convention center, the only black, latino or asian persons I saw were health care workers.
That is a huge problem, folks.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on February 13, 2021, 09:36:12 AMJust got my second Pfizer shot.
Out of the hundreds of folks in the convention center, the only black, latino or asian persons I saw were health care workers.
That is a huge problem, folks.

Being poor goes far beyond not having money and race. Disenfranchised folk of all backgrounds tend to see themselves not a part of society.  Like an Autistic child they simply stare through fogged glass, and watch the wheels turn without them.  Most don't even know they're mentally ill.   Poverty is a mental illness as well as a circumstantial issue.  If one cannot beat the illness, one never moves forward.

My mom had lost her teeth due to malnutrition and infection by age 13, and was sold into black market (Amish) servitude during her later teen years.  The infection stemmed from rat hunting in a chicken house, and apparently particulates got in her mouth, and an existing infection turned into a raging mess. Sadly, my mom is still afflicted with the poverty illness.

My MIL lived in a one room cabin with no outhouse until she was 7.  They simply crapped, and urinated in the woods.  The only reason an outhouse upgrade happened is because my wife's aunt had a 3' section of tapeworm hanging out of her arse as she screamed for help. The clan finally moved to a house that had a well around 1948.  My MIL was a fighter, but the stench of poverty resulted in my wife being bullied, and beaten until she reached high school age.  MIL insisted her girls would go to college, and both did.  My wife kept her grades up, earned scholarships, worked 2 jobs, endured sexual harassment, and double majored, and later earned an advanced degree. The illness was soundly defeated.

Dougfish

I appreciate your narrative and your family's history, Ken.
Most of us on here have been extremely fortunate. I for one.
But I said nothing about poor.
I was merely pointing out what my eyeballs saw.
This was in a convention center in downtown Roanoke.
The largest city in VA west of Richmond, we have a very diverse population. And my eyeballs saw what the stats strongly suggest.
That minorities lag way behind whites in vaccinations.
Everyone should have access and encouragement to get the vaccine.
And yes, even the poor.
We are all in this together.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Pretty much the same here in Winston — when I took mom to the health dept in East Winston I expected us to be in the minority, but I was taken aback by the whiteness of those in line for the vaccine. And again when I took her for the second shot at the fairgrounds the crowds was predominantly white (maybe 85-90%) In a county that is about 66% white.

What factors contribute to such a low minority turn out?

1) mistrust of the medical community?
2) lack of time to spend hunting down an appt?
3) lack of transportation?
4) inability to get time off of work?

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Dad grew up in poverty and a broken home. Don't have details but I know they had an outhouse. Not a period of his life that he would talk about, other than going to school in a one room schoolhouse with a pot bellies stove and an outhouse too.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

here are the demographics for our state..

You cannot view this attachment.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/N2RS2GS3J?:toolbar=n&:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y

me -There's a season?