Bush's alt energy progam's got it wrong: Forget ethanol; save corn for bourbon!

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 27, 2007, 18:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Forget ethanol; save corn for bourbon!

A s a bourbon drinker and grandson of a moonshiner, I naturally perk up when talk turns to distilling corn.

Grandpa cooked corn into sour mash whiskey in a process nearly identical to the one used today to produce ethanol.

But while the feds chased Old Pap up hills and down hollers to stop him from running off a batch or two of home brew, the government this year will provide more than $7 billion in subsidies to encourage a massive expansion of ethanol production.

I think Jim Beam could do more good with that corn and money than the purveyors of E-85.

Ethanol is a fraud of an alternative fuel.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070225/OPINION03/702250302/1008/OPINION01
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Chaser

Keith,

This place is located just outside of Culpeper.
http://www.virginiamoonshine.com/
I'll bring a bottle down to try at PFF this spring. Which would you prefer?

TC

phg

Why am I not surprised that Detroit is opposed to alternate energy?

I agree that ethanol from corn is probably not the whole answer, but it's a start.  Personally, back when we could get gasahol (10% ethanol) I preferred it.  Of course, corn isn't the only way of getting ethanol.  Almost any sugar or starch can be converted.  Sugar cane or sorgum would probably be more efficient. 

The temporary spike in corn prices is a real problem, though.

troutjedi

Actually, cellulosic ethanol is the only answer.  This ethanol is produced by fermenting down cellulose - so anything with a high cellulose content (hay, lawn clippings, weeds, manure, etc.) can be used....and we don't have to convert any farmland for this purpose.  Look it up   0--0

I drinks mah corn from a jar......

troutjedi

Gofisher

Looks like PHG is on to something. From Jedi's link:

"...Sugar ethanol, on the other hand, from sugarcane, reduces greenhouse gas emissions by as much as cellulosic ethanol because it uses sugarcane bagasse to provide the energy for the process and the excess to make electricity for the grid..."   
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

sillybastardcaddis

Jim Beam is some nasty stuff. It is oily tasting. I prefer George Dickell White Label or Wild Turkey 101. That, my friends are the nectars of the gods.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: sillybastardcaddis on March 01, 2007, 15:47:13 PM
Jim Beam is some nasty stuff. It is oily tasting. I prefer George Dickell White Label or Wild Turkey 101. That, my friends are the nectars of the gods.

One time in college we had a blind taste test of our three favorite whiskeys; George Dickell, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey.

We poured three shots of the whiskeys and then we were to do all three shots back to back and then try to identify which one was our favorite! We'll needless to say by the time we finished the third shot, we couldn't tell one from the other! :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

Dang, we tried that too. Poured all three into a a bucket, poured it back into shot glasses, couldn't tell one from the other...
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Peddler

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

kylemc

you guys don't really drink this stuff do you?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Stone-Man

Yeah  Kyle
I drink it and am going to drink some more tomorrow night in E Tenn.  Big surprise to you ----I am sure
I am annoyed that perfectly good corn likker is poisoned at the Ethanol plant to keep folks out of it and to burn it in yo rust bucket truck.

And I am double pissed when corn in tha grocery store is selling for $1.49/ 3 ears. Hell, we used to be able to buy ears of corn for $1.00 a dozen

Stone Man back to Still House Now

fliesinthetrees

Switchgrass for energy
Corn for bourbon

That's all I gots to say about that.

FITT