News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Looking for good campsite

Started by castaway, July 24, 2007, 21:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

castaway

Hi all.  This is my first post to the forum, so be gentle.

I am looking for some good campsites for two trips I am planning this fall.  The first will be to SW Virginia probably around Marion or Abingdon.  It will be a basecamp while I am roaming along brookie streams in the area.  I don't have exact dates set yet, and it will be dependant on the weather to a large degree.  I am retired, so I have a great deal of flexibility.  The other trip will be to West Virginia around Pocahontas or Pendleton Counties, also a base camp.  Both trips I plan to be there about a week.

I have looked in the gazetteers and have some campgrounds identified, but would much rather get firsthand recommendations from people who have been there.

I will be tent camping but want electricity to run a medical device (and light, fan and maybe computer).  I prefer quiet, less crowded places, which is generally not all that possible when I ask for electricity.  A really cheap cabin is also an option.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Trout Chaser

Welcome to the board.  0--0
While I have no personal experience with this campground a group from the various fly fishing boards uses this campground every May.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/recreation/camping/hurricane.shtml  It is close to lots of great water.

Good luck and be sure to post a report.

TC

natureboy

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hun.shtml

That place should be worth checking out for you SW VA base camp.

This one too, but it's farther from the Marion/Abingdon area.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/gra.shtml

Boykin

Quote from: castaway on July 24, 2007, 21:09:28 PM
Hi all.  This is my first post to the forum, so be gentle.

I am looking for some good campsites for two trips I am planning this fall.  The first will be to SW Virginia probably around Marion or Abingdon.  It will be a basecamp while I am roaming along brookie streams in the area.  I don't have exact dates set yet, and it will be dependant on the weather to a large degree.  I am retired, so I have a great deal of flexibility.  The other trip will be to West Virginia around Pocahontas or Pendleton Counties, also a base camp.  Both trips I plan to be there about a week.

I have looked in the gazetteers and have some campgrounds identified, but would much rather get firsthand recommendations from people who have been there.

I will be tent camping but want electricity to run a medical device (and light, fan and maybe computer).  I prefer quiet, less crowded places, which is generally not all that possible when I ask for electricity.  A really cheap cabin is also an option.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

You can always camp down by White Top Laurel Creek near damascus. Also, there is a public camp ground near the Holston, in Tn. Its about 5-6 miles going on 321 towards Boone as you leave the Weir dam area of the Holsten. I have camped there several times. Pretty nice place. I wish i Could give you better info on it. It should be on most maps, its fairly large.