News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: What a game!
Last post by trout-r-us - March 30, 2024, 12:53:34 PM
Isn't springtime great?
Birds are chirpin', flowers and trees are bloomin', and Tar Heels are chokin'.

You cannot view this attachment.
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 30, 2024, 08:42:16 AM
Where does Colorado River water go? Scientists have finally found out

Hay meant to feed farm animals accounts for an overwhelming share of Colorado River water use in the Southwest, scientists have found.

Many Southern Nevadans are all too familiar with the West's water woes. Las Vegas is almost entirely dependent on water from the river-fed Lake Mead, the country's largest reservoir, which has hovered near historic lows as of late.

A new study released Thursday pins down a more definitive assessment of how water from the river is used, confirming suspicions that water scientists have held for decades. Only a fraction of the river's water makes it to what's known as the Colorado River Delta, where it would flow naturally without human intervention.

"We were able to build a much more holistic and complete picture of where all the water goes," said Brian Richter, the study's lead author and president of global water education organization Sustainable Waters. "Irrigated agriculture consumes about three times the volume of all of the cities and industries combined."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/where-does-colorado-river-water-go-scientists-have-finally-found-out-3025845/
Last post by greg - March 29, 2024, 22:22:36 PM
Biggest surprise maybe Clemson going to 8
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 29, 2024, 22:05:06 PM

#24 -- 31 Gas $3.29 Partly cloudy upper 60s and WINDY

I checked the Windy App last night and I knew it was going to blow hard, but I went anyway. As I drove through town I saw a gaggle of trout bros, dressed in spiffy new waders hovering around a FlyCraft that was on top of a vehicle parked at the Historic Center, oh, great, everybody is out on a holiday.

I checked the boat ramp lot and there was a Tacoma with a nice dented rear quarter panel with a trailer and three other trucks parked alongside. I moved on up to the MP and there were two trucks there too.

I rigged up the 5 wt to battle the wind and began my hike in. Fishbug was coming out and reported a half dozen or so on a small streamer. I ran into a couple of NC trout bros coming up from "several miles below" one had caught several but the other was struggling. Both were casting bobber rigs.

I took the newly cleared path to avoid the mud of turtle creed, thanks Doug. I swung my soft hackle at LH and them moved to Big Pine where I caught a pune. It was about this time that I noticed that the river was higher than yesterday, and I checked the app to see that they had increased by about 50 cfs. A raft was coming down and I didn't want to get caught mid-channel so I moved on down further where I caught nothing. The raft came on down and I hollered, "Are we having fun yet?" They replied in the affirmative and continued to cast their bobber rigs. I decided that it was time to photograph flowers and butterflies and drink some beer and eat a sandwich.

Last post by Dougfish - March 29, 2024, 20:42:35 PM
Wolfpack to the 8!
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Onslow - March 29, 2024, 19:25:53 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 29, 2024, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Onslow on March 29, 2024, 06:04:05 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.

You need to learn how to be in a state of disagreement for gracefully. You're going to blow a head gasket like Mark Robinson will if he doesn't cool down a bit.

I'm sure books on cooking drugs and making bombs would be a hit with grade 6-12 boys. 

Adults or minors sharing adult content with minors to the best of my knowledge is considered sexual abuse by most states.

Sen John Kennedy has a top tier domestic and international education. You've provided no evidence he is a bigot. He certainly has more education than Bill Clinton.

I doubt there is a correlation between education and bigotry.  Just because someone has a top tier education does not mean they learned a damned thing about tolerance, compassion, selflessness, or acceptance of diversity.  With several individuals within the university community, those with way more education, I've witnessed a callous approach to all ideas/people that were different than theirs.  These folks revered the entirety of world with a binary approach, light or dark, male or female, black or white, straight or gay, right or wrong, etc. with no middle ground.  Personally, I've never viewed the world that way.

Of course an education does not make one less bigoted.  I honestly think the highest density of bigots may be found at our Ivy league schools.  Elitism is a form of bigotry.

Binary or oppositional defiance thinking isn't thinking. It is retardation. Some fancy themselves as having a high moral standing for raging about Trump.  This is an epic delusion. Stalin fought against Hitler, I suppose then this makes Stalin morally righteous man.

There has been much fuss about drag queens and transgender folk the last couple years.  I will assert that Jesse Helmes would have been comfortable sitting with Ru Paul in ball stadium.  Ru Paul is not an asshole.  He is respectful of boundaries, and knows what he is, a performing artist. RuPaul has been around for many moons, and I cannot think of one soul who has spoken ill of him.  Many are disgusted by those who desire to disrespect social norms, and basic rules of decency.  This is NOT bigotry. Trump's trash talk, and certain drag queens' desire to impose themselves in elementary schools is not acceptable, period.

Many are not upset with the principles of DEI, but are upset about the suppression of speech, hypocrisy, racist fixations of those who profess to champion it.

The Transgender crowd has run afoul of many due to demanding rights at the expense of others.  This is straight up toxic narcissism. If victims of their bullying speak up, then they are labeled bigots. I suppose being Trans gives one license to be a complete ass, and we're supposed to be good with it.

I was born a Yankee with ASD.  This does not give me a license to be an ass, but the struggle is real :laugh:

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - March 29, 2024, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Onslow on March 29, 2024, 06:04:05 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.

You need to learn how to be in a state of disagreement for gracefully. You're going to blow a head gasket like Mark Robinson will if he doesn't cool down a bit.

I'm sure books on cooking drugs and making bombs would be a hit with grade 6-12 boys. 

Adults or minors sharing adult content with minors to the best of my knowledge is considered sexual abuse by most states.

Sen John Kennedy has a top tier domestic and international education. You've provided no evidence he is a bigot. He certainly has more education than Bill Clinton.

I doubt there is a correlation between education and bigotry.  Just because someone has a top tier education does not mean they learned a damned thing about tolerance, compassion, selflessness, or acceptance of diversity.  With several individuals within the university community, those with way more education, I've witnessed a callous approach to all ideas/people that were different than theirs.  These folks revered the entirety of world with a binary approach, light or dark, male or female, black or white, straight or gay, right or wrong, etc. with no middle ground.  Personally, I've never viewed the world that way.

As for Senator JK, I have no idea if he is a bigot.    I do know he stated without the influence of America, Mexicans would be eating pet food and living in tents next to steakhouses, and he made a derogatory comment about our VP's IQ.  A top tier education does not make him immune from being a prick.
Last post by Onslow - March 29, 2024, 06:29:40 AM
Sinful indulgence. 
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 28, 2024, 20:34:25 PM

#24 -- 30  Coudy turning to clear skies with brutal wind.

As March is coming to an end I'm trying to squeeze in a few more trips. I settled for some easy access fishing and managed to swing up a half dozen and culled four for the birds. The wind blew up and down the river and it wasn't a lot of fun casting the 2 wt. After working the big run, the clear skies allowed me to see the streambed and I crossed over where I had turned back the other day. Back at the car I had a beer while deciding to call it quits. Mr. Powerbait drove on by and asked how I had done and reported that he got two yesterday.

Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 28, 2024, 07:09:40 AM

#24 -- 29 overcast, slight drizzle, clearing skies 50s

Last minute decision to hit the river in the afternoon as it was a dreary morning with periods of heavy rain. Since I got a late start I just hit the roadside attractions in town. As I was gearing up a wildlife officer pulled in and asked me if I had seen a Subaru. I had not. He drove on. I waded out to the top of the run and was surprised by catching a fish on the first cast. The one was quickly followed by a half dozen. I made a quick trip back to the car which was within sight to take off a layer of clothing and put four fish on ice. Back in the water I worked my way down to the bottom of the run and caught fish all along the way, culling two more for my limit. The river was up just enough to give me pause in crossing the deep run and I waded back upstream to the car. It was beer thirty and as I enjoyed my malty beverage a guy pulled in and asked how I did, "I caught dozen on a soft hackle." With a puzzled look, he replied, "I'm going down to the honey hole to catch my limit. They like powerbait and (undecipherable)."

Testing the limits. I was listening to "Not so Quiet on the Western Front" podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/not-so-quiet-on-the-western-front-a-battle-guide-production/id1716885995
and failed to notice the warning light. It went to zero before I was able to pull into a station. It appears that I had about 1/2 gallon left.