fly fishing the new river july 3rd

Started by lepomis_mcro, July 04, 2006, 16:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepomis_mcro

my fishing partner a.k.a mr_mcginty, and myself. decided to take the toons up to the new river. we left town around 7am. after we droped off a truck at the
take out, put both toons in the trailer and drove to the put in. we were on the water by 9:30.

water was still pretty stained when we first arived. if you waded around waist deep you really couldnt see your shoes below you. by the end of the float, eight of
so hours later, it seemed a little less cloudy. in a day or two should be real nice.

we started the float below the penitentiary shoal rapids
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

it was a very photogenic float, if only the water was clear it would have been spectacular

mr_mcginty did pretty good with a minnow pattern..in fact we saw quite a few minnows being chased out of the water, and smallmouth busting
them off and on though out the day

all fish were on sub-surface, i tried the popper that worked so good on the james river, but they were having none of that. so i used ole fathfull the
black conehead woolly bugger. i had a few smallies on it, and a fat rockbass

tried to get a pic of a smallie, but the one i was going to take at the end of the day shook off while i was trying to get the camera ready...most of the time i didnt
feel like wading back to the toon to get the camera..oh well cant get them all

the day ended at the bridge on farmers fish camp road, and we both made it safetly home...

im ready for the float on the 15th i know that ;D
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

DarrinG

Flyfisherman

Nice report friend... I love floating the New River.   :)

Woolly Bugger

Hope it continues to clear for the 15th.... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!