Wading boot recomendations

Started by themidge, January 02, 2016, 11:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

To be fair, I think the Chota pair that I had may have been much cheaper. Chota Abram Creek Boot. The leather outer layer wore off and the fabric actually started collecting silt and grit within itself making the toes incredibly uncomfortable.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dougfish

Quote from: Native Fisher on January 19, 2016, 20:35:44 PM
but I haven't fished enough the past two years to put any wear on this new pair.

:laugh: No shit.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on January 19, 2016, 21:31:39 PM
Quote from: Native Fisher on January 19, 2016, 20:35:44 PM
but I haven't fished enough the past two years to put any wear on this new pair.

:laugh: No shit.

You need to design a steel belted radial for your big ass feets and stomping ways. I though about a blown out boot contest but I've seen what you do to boots!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

joe friday

I started a search for my next pair of boots. .not much to choose from here in Greenville nc.  Great outdoor provision co., is the only place with any inventory, unless I go to Raleigh.   Salesman at Gopco tells me the felt will soon be outlawed,  and he tries to steer me to a pair of korkers with the convertible sole.  I'm not buying it.  Not yet.  The korkers were the only boots in my size that he had.

Question: is felt being outlawed in nc, TN, or VA  anytime soon?

I'd rather have felt soles,.  I may be headed to Raleigh soon.

Big J

Felt isn't going to be outlawed.  With that said, I really like Vibram with hardbite star cleats installed. But that is because I do a lot of hiking in my boots.

Dee-Vo

I don't think they're being outlawed here.

I like felt, however, my next pair will be some type of rubber soled wading boot with the insert areas for adding studs. On the steep rocks I think this will be worth a shot.

driver

Been running vibram soles for 6 years. No probs in NC. I  Just bought a pair of Korkers felt in CO because I would have died without felt there. Shit is slick out west.

I may strick with felt for times when a lot of hiking is not involved. Replacing studs is getting expensive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Early adopter of sticky rubber -- but my latest boots are felt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

Quote from: rbphoto on January 07, 2016, 14:06:58 PM
hardened SS vs. carbide - either are a trade off.

I don't do spikes.

Hike in hiking boots, wade in wading boots.

Felt is still my preference, although I will be looking at some Simms boots this year and exploring options.

I am now a convert.

No felt.

Vibram with carbide cleats.

Rock hopping has never been so secure.

I bought a pair of Simms back in the Spring and have put them to the test on some of my toughest terrain.

I now no longer worry about hiking boots.

And those Simms are so much lighter than those old Weinbrenners . . .

:laugh:
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

This is a case of personal preference.
Outlawing of felt has hit a brick wall now that it's proven that waders, any boot, wading staffs, etc. spread didymo and more.
I almost fell and swam many times on our last 3 day trip because I was in rubber, not felt.
Even with studs and a staff. (But it should be noted that I left with 16 studs in the boots and came back with just 4!)
All because I wanted to save 4-5 lbs.
I'll save my rubber boots for the bote. Felt and studs for everything else.

And yes WB, just etch my name on the trophy. But the newer Simms boots might make it past one year.  -0- 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

benben reincarnated

I have these with studs, zero problems, ever, anywhere.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/vapor-boot-felt.html

After a year and a half of taking a beating, they have just a little seam separation along the side of the boot where the boot creases when you step.  I plan to send them back to Simms for a warranty repair at some point, not really causing an issue, but they'll fix them either way.

ajhock

I see your stud scrapes all over the place, no thanks and stop fucking up stuff.  Land rapers.  Rape rapers.  Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers...
Rapers!   Felt is good enough.  I had a pair of Chota STLs ( no studs, some of us don't make up the stud in our boots) that were great for about 200 trips over 4 years.  I now have a pair of cheapo SIMMS that I don't care much for.   
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Michael Toris

Quote from: ajhock on October 25, 2016, 20:37:37 PM
I see your stud scrapes all over the place, no thanks and stop fucking up stuff.  Land rapers.  Rape rapers.  Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers...
Rapers!   Felt is good enough.  I had a pair of Chota STLs ( no studs, some of us don't make up the stud in our boots) that were great for about 200 trips over 4 years.  I now have a pair of cheapo SIMMS that I don't care much for.   
This guy salty about some studs

benben reincarnated

Fuck man, Chota's weigh a ton.  Although I will admit, Tranny ran over my toes with a car once and I had Chota's on, didn't feel a thing.

Big J

I feel like this would be a good time to ask, does anyone have any good stud recommendations?