River Ridge Campground on the Watauga ?

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 26, 2007, 19:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Rumor has it that Larry is selling the campground after this season...
http://www.riverridgecampground.net/

Here's one rumor... This could be bad news for the Caddis Riffle access!  Hope it works out.. Maybe we can petition the state to purchase a right-of-way!!!!

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=190326#post190326

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Brudog

It is official that its sold. Steve and I both have talked to Larry about it. I also spoke with the realtor involved on Larry's end and anything as to what the future holds is merely rumor at this point. No one, even the realtor knows what the new owners full intentions are, except that it will remain some type of fishing/camping(lodging) facility.
So don't believe everything you hear just yet.
"...I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising! " K. Powers

walt

I was up in Foscoe yesterday weed-whackin my driveway and trimmin' back some rhodos.... and a neighbor stopped by to talk some fishin' and community news. He informed me that the property was indeed sold and that the new owners will be posting it next week. Plans are for an upscale lodge and cabins.

He went into detail as to why/how/when the property was sold, but that's basically water over the riffle and doesn't really matter anyhow..... the apparent fact is that the caddis riffle will be closed to wading access which is a shame..... I'm sure we all have some fond memories of fishing that excellent stretch of water.

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

flatlander

Woolly Bugger

Walt, Surely this new owner will fell the responsibility of continuing the tradition of camping / fishing in the area???

Or, not.... reminds me of what happened to Mosquito Point in Maine. For generations the public was allowed to drive on the property and had free access to the wonderful shoreline, artist, photographers and sightseers were allowed unfettered access. Then it was sold and the sellers never dreamed that the new owner would put up and electronic fence and block all public access. (you can take your boat around and pull up to the beach, public has access to high water mark on the Maine coast.

http://www.fishermensvoice.com/archives/thebeach.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 27, 2007, 07:46:01 AM
Walt, Surely this new owner will fell the responsibility of continuing the tradition of camping / fishing in the area???

i'm sure he/they will wb.... with proper monetary compensation for the privledge of access.

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 27, 2007, 07:46:01 AM
Or, not.... reminds me of what happened to Mosquito Point in Maine. For generations the public was allowed to drive on the property and had free access to the wonderful shoreline, artist, photographers and sightseers were allowed unfettered access. Then it was sold and the sellers never dreamed that the new owner would put up and electronic fence and block all public access. (you can take your boat around and pull up to the beach, public has access to high water mark on the Maine coast.

http://www.fishermensvoice.com/archives/thebeach.html

eco101..... utility.

it happens every minute of every hour of every day..... property is bought and sold. the seller gives up his utility and the purchaser may institute new utility, as he/she sees fit.

Larry utilised his property as he liked. Camping leases and charging a fee for daytrippers to have access to the caddis riffle.... that is how he best thought to use his property. The new owner(s) may have different visions of how best to utilise the property for maximum roi or not, that is their right and choice as property owners.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, I'll leave that to the bubbleheads to debate. But, I am saying that if someone is gonna get all puffy and whiny because they no longer have the "right" to access across a new property owners land, then they need to think how they would feel if a whole lot of people decided they had a right to come over to their own property and use it, and trash it.... which, i hear, is one of the salient points of sale.

jmho.... walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

flatlander

Who can blame him for selling?  I was curious to know how old he is because of estate planning.  Inheriting land these days is a costly expense for heirs and it probably isn't going to get any cheaper when the Dems do away with the tax cuts.  I suspect a lot of big parcels will have to be sold because heirs can't afford to pay the taxes...just ask a few family farmers.

phg

The rules on inherited land have changed somewhat, in an effort to keep family farms in the family. 
QuoteThe Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:HR01836: ) provided for ten years of increasing exemptions from the estate tax. In 2005, the law exempts the first $1.5 million of an estate for an individual (or the first $3 million for married couples). The law includes a sunset clause for the estate tax to be restored in 2011. Currently, there is legislation in Congress that proposes making the full repeal of the estate tax permanent. The bill, H.R.8 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.00008: ), passed the House of Representatives on April 13, 2005 and is waiting for a final vote in the Senate.
Still, prime water front land can go sky high in value, so it may still be worth too much.  Anyway, there seems to be no shortage of people who can afford to spend $500K+ for a vacation home in a private gated community on the water in the mountains, etc., etc.

flatlander

Quote from: phg on August 27, 2007, 11:37:29 AM
The law includes a sunset clause for the estate tax to be restored in 2011.

Precisely. I believe one of the main campaign issues I hear from Democrats is that they will repeal, or allow to expire rather than make permanent, Bush's tax cuts.  I certainly am not a tax lawyer, nor do I pretend to even understand the implications of such matters. 

However, I can only believe that we will see more and more large chunks of land fall as people cash out, rather than pass on somewhat non-liquid assets to their heirs.  Land trusts and foundations who offer conservation easements are easing the loss somewhat, but not everyone is in a position to take advantage of what they offer.

I fear we are rapidly going the way of Britain, where only the ultra wealthy will enjoy the privilege of pursuing blood sports.