News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Lampreys seem to be much more active at night...strange looking critters. We are at prespawn time for the blue cats and they are very active.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Local Bands, sma...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 14:16:51 PM

Third Tuesday of the month brings us back to the Flat Iron in Greensboro for another Singer Songwriter session hosted by Abigail Down and featuring Martha Bassett, Jane Kramer and Jess Klein.

And Lynn Koontz and Abigail joined the trio to close out the set with Leaving on a Jet Plane

Warm Water Species / Re: Strange creatures in the J...
Last post by brownhunter - Today at 12:35:22 PM
Was checking this out about 1:30 this afternoon and a bunch of catfish were on the screen. Some quite large, but that was all I could make out. Water was still quite brown and stained.
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by JCB3 - Today at 11:01:32 AM
The Smith River TU chapter is having a cleanup day
April 20th. It'll be a road & or river clean up. We'll
meet at 9am, go to 12pm. Bassett Canoe Access,
271 Trent Hill Dr.
(Off Route 57 E. In Bassett)

The Cub Scouts from Oak Ridge will be helping, so come lend them a hand on cleaning the river we all fish.
The James has been up and down this Spring and has limited shad/striper fishing due to high and muddy water. In addition to watching the gauges,I often look at the camera at the Bosher Dam fish ladder located just upstream of Richmond to check on water clarity.

Right now the river is high and muddy but large numbers of sea lampreys are moving through the system along with Blue Catfish (a few in the 20lb and larger size). Before the camera I never dreamed these weird creatures even existed in the river! (and no Woolly,I have never taken one on a fly)

If interested in looking at what appears to be a blank brown window go to https://dwr.virginia.gov/shad-cam/ . There seems to be more action at night but for me better than most TV. (once I saw an otter go through!)
The Gravel Bar / Win a trip to Belize!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 16, 2024, 10:34:17 AM
Hey, I found this giveaway and think you might want a chance to win too. Enter here: https://swee.ps/ckzDup_HPYObr

d:b
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 16, 2024, 07:52:52 AM

#24 -- 40 Is it summer yet? 83 degrees, gas $3.56!

Driving in, there was a police presence at various points along the river below the CVS and I wondered what was up with that. There was a lot of activity at the Basset Rescue Squad too.

With the heat and the tick hatch I couldn't face walking the field, so I drove up to the damn dam for a look see and was surprised to see the low flow valves cut off. I thought that was a bit odd. I couldn't get motivated to fish and just drove around a bit while listening to the latest episode of , part 2 of "All Along the Watchtower"

Finally it was fish or go home, so I pulled into to a roadside attraction, took the 2 wt out and began to swing through the run. I got a bunch of grabs and brought three to hand, when I guy up on the bank hollers down to me, "Is that your car over there," pointing to my CRV. Is it okay to park there?" he asked. He was looking for places to fish didn't know where to access the river and he also asked about the "generation" So this was a fairly long conversation shouting across the sounds of the rushing water. He thanked me and moved on, while I finished working that section.

I moved upstream a bit and got into a number of fish, all brown trout, if I caught a rainbow it would have become bird food, but I put all the browns back.

I fished on until the heat of the evening left me parched and I headed out for a beer!

As noted above the authorities were searching for a missing person, not a fisherman or a boater. Speaking of boats, there were some rafts about and a few kayakers too. Hillside work continues up at the damn dam and they are still looking to bring the damn dam back online in 2025/26, fish it while the current conditions continue 'cause once they complete the work it'll got back to an all (1400 cfs) or nothing (80 cfs) peak power generation.

Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 15, 2024, 19:15:06 PM
They cut the low flow valves off today to search for a missing person, an elderly black man who was seen near one of the bridges — search was performed, nothing was found. Flows will increase to 440 for sometime to reduce lake level