News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

VA Fishing???

Started by Powderkeg, September 04, 2006, 13:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Powderkeg

I am not familiar with VA FFing waters.  I am interested in learning more about the state and what it has to offer.  I have read many comments on the boards about the Smith, Whitetop, the Dan and others that many of you have written.  I know this may sound like a dumb question, but here goes.  Respecting the comments of many on this board, would it be a beneficial investment to purchase licenses for VA and visit these new waters.  Are the areas in Va relatively easy to locate for a person new to the area.  Living north of WS makes this area seem really inviting.  I am a person who has the ability to fish during the week but often end up alone or with a firehouse friend who is as excited to learn as I am.  I would love to become familiar with this area and later find some campgrounds and fishing to bring my son along.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

Woolly Bugger

Yes the VA license is a good deal, those Smith Brown's are worth it alone...

It sure beats a 3 hr drive to TN for some tailwater action (not to compare the Smith to the S. Holston) and you can usually get on the water somewere even if they are generation. There are miles of water below the special regs section that it takes hours for the water to arrive. You don't even need to get the trout "stamp" if you just fish the Special Reg Section! Va runs there license on a Calendar year. so there isn't much left on the '06 season....

Holler and I'll show you what I know about the Smith (not much ;))
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on September 04, 2006, 18:55:49 PM
Wooly,
I think the Virginia license now runs for 1 year from the date of purchase, similar to how NC does it.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/regulations/licenses.asp

That is a good deal!!! Now if we could get TN to adopt the same rules  ;D

QuoteLicense Year

Effective July 1, 2006, all licenses sold by VDGIF will be valid for one year from the date of purchase with two exceptions: the Deer, Bear,Turkey License and the National Forest Permit.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Powderkeg

WB or anyone,

I have visited the site several times and read the reg's.  So as far as a non-resident license, a person can fish all of the trout waters in Va with a fresh water license and no trout stamp as long as they are not in the "designated stock waters????"  Or is it onlty in the special reg's areas?? 

I would enjoy going to the Smith to learn more.  Thanks for the offer. 

Eddie

jamie

With the stocked and wild sections running close together on some streams, I found that buying the trout stamp is piece of mind.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

lepomis_mcro

hey i was thinking about heading back up, the weekend of the 16th. anyone else up for a fishing the smith?
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: jamie on September 05, 2006, 13:40:08 PM
With the stocked and wild sections running close together on some streams, I found that buying the trout stamp is piece of mind.

and a LOT more water to fish, and in the case of the Smith with the dam releases having a trout stamp comes in handy to fish further away from the dam ...
me -There's a season?

Al

Ditto to all of the below. Suck it up and buy the trout license. It will expand your options.

NCMitch

Agreed!  Almost everywhere has both types of water in close proximity.  I live in NC and buy both each year.  It hurts a little but peace of mind is cool.  That is what we are all looking for anyway... right!

VA has lots of nice streams.  Fish em all.  I like Whitetop ;D

NCMitch

Powderkeg

Sounds like an investment in time with my son that will be greatly enjoyed.

Thanks for the comments,

Eddie