not the best decision

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 11, 2021, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

1-10-21 #2

Gas $2.14

Sunny, 44*

Thought about the SoHo as the wheels were off from  9 -4  but when the time came to hit the road I couldn't face the windshield time. Probably should have gone but that's the way it goes these days. I went back to my new playground to see if the slightly warmer temps and full sun would possibly make the fish more active on this creek.

10 minutes in I reached for my phone, which I recall putting in my chest pack, but it wasn't there. Oh, crap! I double checked all of my pockets and then headed back up to the car. That was an extra 150' climb to start the afternoon. Phone had slipped out inside the car and with it safely stored in my pack I headed back down the stream.

I went in slightly lower than the last time I was near the boundary to hit a couple of little plunge pools that looked promising.  The snow was mostly gone but the water was still frigid. A few midges were in the air but the sun wasn't hitting the bottom of the gorge.

I got a fish to rise – it hit the fly so quick and I or it missed the hook. I didn't see any other fish. I past by "Owl Rock", the little screech owl was not there this time. I took to the woods to avoid climbing over deadfalls. While crawling through some rhodo I pulled a muscle in my back and a sharp pain took my breath away. Oh crap, now each step up was painful and I sat down on a rock and collected myself while drinking a bottle of water. Feeling a bit better I continued on, but crouching down to be stealthy was no longer in the game plan.

As the River Rambler says; "I don't go where I can catch a lot of fish, I go to where there aren't a lot of people."

Photo dump:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Despite the lack of fish, I'm still enjoying crawling through this little creek and I hope to return when the water warms.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Keep it up Woolly, go when you can.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on January 11, 2021, 16:33:54 PMKeep it up Woolly, go when you can.

I'm going to catch a brookie out of there if if kills me... jis say'in

I'm planning on going up high in the spring
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Keep slogging.
I'd give you names of good winter brookie streams, but you would publicize the shit out them.  :P
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on January 11, 2021, 17:04:23 PMKeep slogging.
I'd give you names of good winter brookie streams, but you would publicize the shit out them.  :P

And I thought all the baksheesh would pay off in spades!
me -There's a season?

RiverbumCO

Between the snowfall and snowmelt, my trip today was like being an ice cube in a rocks glass. No fish were harmed by me either.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

You all got to know when to break out the double/triple tungsten beaded pink weenie and jig them out of there Petey's Rippin n tearin style. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on January 12, 2021, 09:28:05 AMYou all got to know when to break out the double/triple tungsten beaded pink weenie and jig them out of there Petey's Rippin n tearin style. 

I've been tempted ...  :;!
me -There's a season?