Red-Haired-Boy’s Black Bean, Pork, Cumin and Lime Chili for 30 hungry humans.

Started by red-haired-boy, October 13, 2005, 19:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red-haired-boy

Red-Haired-Boy's Black Bean, Pork, Cumin and Lime Chili for 30 Hungry Humans.

3 lbs bacon (sliced) cut into 1" pieces 
5 lbs onions sliced 1/2 inch
6- 8 oz garlic cloves (smashed) (buy a package of them peeled already)

15 cans black beans (standard size cans)
11 cans Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes (look in the organic section, these tomatoes are great and the fire roasted flavor is one of the secrets to this dish) (standard size cans)
4 jars of roasted bell peppers cut into edible size pieces (jars 12oz or so)

10 lbs boneless pork cut into 1/2" thick strip brown in a frying pan (or grill then cut into strips) Notes: you could also use venison or beef. What I made at PFF only had 7 lbs of meat. Use a cheap flavorful cut of meat, it will cook long enough to tenderize

6 pack good dark beer (Guinness)

1/2-pound sun dried tomatoes (cut into bite sized pieces, optional- definitely use in vegetarian version) (use the dry tomatoes rather than ones packed in oil or rehydrated)

12 oz limejuice 
1 1/2 cups cumin
1 cup paprika (preferably 2 dif kinds)
1/2 cup chili powder (not the hot stuff)
1/2 cup oregano
Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce- to taste use sparingly to keep overall heat of dish decent.
10 bay leaves 
check and adjust the spices later

Cook bacon and onions together over medium/low heat until caramelized (about medium caramelization) 

Add spices and garlic- add the limejuice slowly after a few (maybe 5-10 minutes); the limejuice should all be evaporated before the next step.

Add meat, tomatoes, beans, sun dried tomatoes, and 4 beers. (Add the roasted peppers about 1 hour before serving.). As more liquid is needed add more beer.  Cook this mix at least 1 hour on a low simmer, preferably cook for 2 hours. Chili should be thick and hearty.

"Activate" any additional spices by cooking them in oil for a few minutes before adding to the main pot.
For extra richness roast some neck or other large marrowbones and simmer them in this.

This recipe is easy to vary- for example add a couple pounds of chorizo in when you throw in the spices, try it with several types of beans, add a little of this or a bit of that. Every time I make it, it is usually a little different depending on my mood and what ingriedents I have on hand.  Another thing I do when I make it home is use a big chunk of jowl bacon cut into  about 3/4" cubes .

Freeze any leftovers for an easy meal on a cold day.