Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

I just emailed our buddy Al. It appears Bassett has a whole week of rain ahead of it. You are in the email chain. I only need a minimum of 40 to be scientifically acceptable.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Talked with the new Philpott Manager at the Smith River Fest this past Saturday. The latest projection is early to mid October for resuming generation.

There is also a new wrinkle - One of the two turbines is damaged beyond repair so they will only be using one turbine - that figures to be about 750 cfs. Currently there are no plans to repair the damaged turbine. I expect (and this is only me speculating) the generation periods will be prolonged because it takes twice as long to use up water at 750 cfs as it does with two turbines cranking out 14-1500 cfs

There is new technology in the works (whatever that means) but it will be 4-5 years before it comes on board.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 13, 2017, 20:31:28 PM
Fuk

*correction* fuck yes! 750 all the time could be just what the fishery needs. 1500 at 48 degrees was obviously very hard on the bugs via reports I've read. Time will tell, but this could keep the bank fisherman away. Boats will be used more now too.

ryguy

With 1 turbine and a longer generation, wonder if there would be a different cycle on times.  Meaning, generation during the afternoon and continuing overnight, rather than a sunup to sundown type of a schedule.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: ryguy on August 14, 2017, 06:30:56 AM
With 1 turbine and a longer generation, wonder if there would be a different cycle on times.  Meaning, generation during the afternoon and continuing overnight, rather than a sunup to sundown type of a schedule.

they will generate when they can make the most money and demand is highest... I suspect morning till early evening... they were running on average four hours a day... so now it will be eight... gonna get me a raft....
me -There's a season?

ryguy

More reason for me to bring the raft down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutrus

Is there anyone operating a guide business with a drift boat/raft up there? Seems like a good opportunity for a young entrepreneur.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on August 15, 2017, 16:31:44 PM
Is there anyone operating a guide business with a drift boat/raft up there? Seems like a good opportunity for a young entrepreneur.

One that we know of..

me -There's a season?

ryguy

Is the demand there?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 15, 2017, 17:59:11 PM

One that we know of..

Drift boat isn't an option. No ramps at all. Matt is using his raft. I've contacted dan river basin about ramps 2 years ago. They directed me to henry county parks and rec. After talks with the parks and rec and dan river basin I was told by a few folks "to not ask for something that I wouldn't want". Basically some drba people told me(not brian williams) that by building boat ramps, the river would become accessible to "everyone" and they were afraid your average dude with a jon boat would try to run the rapids. I understand the safety issues and right now the river can't handle huge amounts of traffic. Right now a raft is your best bet. It was real good at 700 during weekend releases.

Dougfish

Dis. ^ #jonboatlivesmatter

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on August 15, 2017, 20:38:50 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 15, 2017, 17:59:11 PM

One that we know of..

Me and Keith saw our favorite poachers shoot the falls in a Jon Boat.

Drift boat isn't an option. No ramps at all. Matt is using his raft. I've contacted dan river basin about ramps 2 years ago. They directed me to henry county parks and rec. After talks with the parks and rec and dan river basin I was told by a few folks "to not ask for something that I wouldn't want". Basically some drba people told me(not brian williams) that by building boat ramps, the river would become accessible to "everyone" and they were afraid your average dude with a jon boat would try to run the rapids. I understand the safety issues and right now the river can't handle huge amounts of traffic. Right now a raft is your best bet. It was real good at 700 during weekend releases.

IFStultz

Shits about to get interesting. Now if we could get a higher minimum flow and c&r on the lower for a couple years.