News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smallie Fix 2022

Started by Onslow, September 19, 2022, 16:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I had planned on heading down to Randolph county to sting some Roanokes and largemouth, but sleep was scant last night.  No getting up at 4:30.  Slept in a bit, and headed down to a local drainage (~200 sq. miles).  A portion of this beat I've not been to, and this whole segment is a new adventure for 2022.  Getting to the starting spot wasn't terribly difficult.  I did meander over a considerable amount of territory to get there.

Arrived at the water about 9 20

You cannot view this attachment.

Mayflies were buzzing about, I caught a 12 incher at the 3rd swing.

Things were dreadfully slow for the first hour and a half.  The spots were awake, and I did manage to loose one about 15-16".  It is tough to get these guys hooked because they always try to swallow head first.

Damn these miserable punes.

The water where I started was prime real estate, but few were playing ball.  I was near the end of the S bend section when all of a sudden the sun hit dew burn mode, and the birds started making noise, and the smallies woke up as well.

After leaving the S bend, shallow water was encountered for a bit.  Picked up a bunch of smaller fish.

Things slowed after 12:30, and the bite largely stopped.

Upstream a bit, there is a monstrous hole below a noisy cataract.  Lets see what can be scared up....

These last two fish really played well.  Pool was large and deep, and the fish didn't want to be landed.

Wrapped things up at 3 30.  Took about 50 minutes to hike out.

driver

Onslow

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

Damn nice report.  Hood fishing,sir

Phil

Verry nice indeedy.  'c;