unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

different type of water crisis..

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 30, 2022, 09:31:53 AMdifferent type of water crisis..

This falls under the category of nail banger/bolt turning shortage.  Five years from now, America will implode.  This is just the start.

Woolly Bugger

It's not just the Colorado River drying up. It's the Rhine, the Volga, the Danube ...
Opinion: It may be small comfort for those along the Colorado River, but rapidly dwindling water levels across the globe offer a lesson for us all.

In Arizona, we have been lately hyper-focused on our diminishing Colorado River water supply and what it means for our future.

We've watched the receding water lines that reveal historic relics and what may be the hidden skeletons of the Vegas mob families.

We've been so hyperfocused, many of us have failed to see the bigger picture – the bigger and more disturbing picture.

Many of the great rivers of the world are starting to dry up – at once.             

From the Yangtze to the Rhine to the Danube to the Tiber and Po to the Elbe and the Volga – spanning not just continents but much of the globe.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/philboas/2022/08/29/colorado-danube-yangtze-rhine-rivers-drying-up-climate-change/7931115001/
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 31, 2022, 13:23:00 PMIt's not just the Colorado River drying up. It's the Rhine, the Volga, the Danube ...

We've been so hyperfocused, many of us have failed to see the bigger picture – the bigger and more disturbing picture.

No shit Sherlock! 

The global climate catastrophes and misfortunes, likely not anomalies, worry the hell out of me.  I'd really enjoy another grandkid, but their future on this blue dot terrifies me. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

The future for my new granddaughter terrifies me as well.

Trout Maharishi

Where is the water going? I mean isn't there a fixed amount of water in the hydrologic cycle? If the water isn't in the rivers it's somewhere in the cycle right? Wasn't much more of the earth covered by oceans at one time? How are all the rivers going dry and yet the oceans are rising? I know the Amazon has had record highs the last few years, why is that? The water came from somewhere in the hydrologic cycle? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-02/brazil-floods-amazon-manaus/100183242
If my understanding is right the hydrologic cycle has a fixed amount of water in it, it simply takes one form or the other right but it remains a fixed amount of moisture? What am I missing?
https://gpm.nasa.gov/education/water-cycle/hydrologic-cycle

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

My chief concerns concerning climate.

1.  Ignorance. Most do not understand the the difference/effects of UHI and CO2 driven warming. Climate policies cannot be driven by politics, hysteria, and flavor of the day fashion. It must be science and data driven.  Not 50% of data, but All of it.

2. Famine. Seeds and young plants/crops cannot handle deluges.  We all know about droughts but few understand the impacts of deluges, and famine.  The world is increasingly at risk of widespread hunger. This seemed unthinkable a decade ago.  Now it seems it could happen at any time. This is avoidable. There is enough land wasted for yards that could be arable/orchard land in the US to feed probably 1/3 of the population.

3. Reducing CO2 seems to be the fashionable easy button.  It is overconsumption, stupid. There is no easy button, or scapegoat. https://www.newsweek.com/want-fight-climate-change-do-it-yourself-opinion-1737101

4. Trees please.  Trees are the earth's terrestrial sweat glands. The roots tap into moisture trapped in soil which is a water reservoir. When trees are eliminated, well, there is nothing to pull the moisture from the soil to cool things.  Just basic stuff here...Eat less beef, and eat more stocked trout and flatheads.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on September 01, 2022, 20:54:25 PMWhere is the water going?

A third of Pakistan is underwater amid its worst floods in history. Here's what you need to know

More than one third of Pakistan is underwater, according to satellite images from the European Space Agency (ESA), as deadly floodwaters threaten to create secondary disasters.

Food is in short supply after water covered millions of acres of crops and wiped out hundreds of thousands of livestock. Meanwhile, aid agencies have warned of an uptick in infectious diseases, leaving millions vulnerable to illness caused by what the United Nations has called a "monsoon on steroids."

More than 1,100 people have died from the floods since mid-June, nearly 400 of them children, while millions have been displaced, according to Pakistan's National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).

Pakistan, which was already grappling with political and economic turmoil, has been thrown into the front line of the human-induced climate crisis.

Here's what you need to know.

Why are the floods so bad?
Pakistan's monsoon season usually brings heavy downpours, but this year's has been the wettest since records began in 1961, according to the Pakistan Meteorological Department

The CIA Tried To Cover Up These Photos For So Long
Ad
YourDIY
The CIA Tried To Cover Up These Photos For So Long
Torrential monsoon rainfall – 10 times heavier than usual – has caused the Indus River to overflow, effectively creating a long lake, tens of kilometers wide, according to images from the ESA on August 30.

In the southern Sindh and Balochistan provinces, rainfall has been 500% above average as of August 30, according to the NDMA, engulfing entire villages and farmland, razing buildings and wiping out crops.

Homes are surrounded by floodwaters in Jaffarabad, a district of Pakistan's southwestern Balochistan Province, on September 1, 2022. - Zahid Hussain/AP

The Alkhidmat Foundation distributes food bags at a makeshift camp in Sindh Province, Pakistan on September 1, 2022. - Asif Hassan/AFP/Getty Images

Newborn babies lie in their beds after their homes were hit by floods in Sindh Province of Pakistan, on September 1, 2022. - Fareed Khan/AP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-third-of-pakistan-is-underwater-amid-its-worst-floods-in-history-heres-what-you-need-to-know/ar-AA11nS1p

me -There's a season?

greg

I'm with Ken on the tree thing. Developers have got to stop cutting every fucking tree down I live in subdivision about 25 years old. Builder came in and bough5 last 5 lots. First thing they did was cut every damn tree down.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"You're looking at the most endangered fish in North America," Zane Olsen, the manager of the Ouray National Fish Hatchery tells me as he points to a deep open-topped water tank. Inside are dozens of juvenile bonytail, the rarest of four endangered native Colorado River fish species and one Olsen and his colleagues are trying to bring  back from the brink of extinction.

When I arrived at the hatchery one clear morning in May, Olsen was already soggy. Fish eggs mottled his pink polo shirt, and the tall, rangy fellow didn't seem to have a moment to stand still. The hatchery essentially functions like a fertility clinic for fish, and this was the one day a year that it spawns the razorback sucker, another endangered fish that makes up the bulk of the hatchery work. (The Colorado pikeminnow and the humpback chub, the other two endangered Colorado River basin fish, are raised elsewhere. ) Three days earlier, hatchery workers had injected the razorback with hormones to ripen their eggs, and now they had a short window for capturing them. I'd come to help with the spawning and to learn more about how the endangered fish are faring after more than two decades of drought in the West.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/09/colorado-river-dying-can-its-aquatic-dinosaurs-be-saved/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Tucson has 5.5 years of excess Colorado River water stowed in a "secret" reservoir

Arizona is facing dramatic cuts in water deliveries from the drought-imperiled Colorado River. But many water managers there aren't that worried due to a long in the works conservation strategy.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/15/1123289459/arizona-has-5-5-years-of-excess-colorado-river-water-stowed-in-a-secret-reservoi
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

NPR report --

LAS VEGAS — These days it can feel almost cliche to throw around the word "dystopian." But it's hard not to use it while standing on the narrow road crossing the Hoover Dam as tourists gawk at the hulking structure's exposed columns that for decades were underwater.

"It's amazing to see the water so low," says Arthur Murzeau, who's on holiday in Las Vegas from Belgium.

Lake Mead, the nation's largest reservoir, is so low it's getting perilously close to what's known as "deadpool," the level where the dam's hydropower turbines would be shut off for the first time in its 86 year history.

Audio Story... You cannot view this attachment.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/22/1124150368/where-the-colorado-river-crisis-is-hitting-home
me -There's a season?