News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: Things Looking Up
Last post by itieuglyflies - Today at 15:10:41 PM
Seems like you only left out what a great job you think Brandon and his handlers are doing.
Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: Fall PFF V44
Last post by Fishbug - Today at 13:46:39 PM
Fishing voodoo—-

Solunar calendar says that weekend will be better than avg fishing.  :drum

Ill take what I can get.

Glad its not this weekend or wed be  -+;
The Gravel Bar / Things Looking Up
Last post by trout-r-us - Today at 08:23:02 AM
Gas prices under three bucks.
I Bonds at 9.6%
CD rates inching up.
Lots of Stock prices approaching reasonable buy levels.
Football season is underway.
Fish are munching.

Life is good.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
Last post by Devinsdad - September 30, 2022, 18:13:49 PM
looking forward to it fishbug
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by creakycane - September 30, 2022, 09:21:52 AM
Well, the water last few days has been very low and surprisingly clear. No boats, few fishermen.    I'm sure they'll be cranking it up again before the end of today.  300, 600,  ?  Who knows.
Caddis still around, and a handful of big dun mayflies ( isonychias?).  Some glassy spinners that looked like fall ISO's to me, also.  Nice to fish some pools that are tough wading at 300.  Lower river still warm-feeling.  Did more watching and driving all over than serious fishing.  Saw a swarm of trico spinners around noon above a rippled area.  Nice to leisurely poke around the Smith some days.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam...
Last post by Onslow - September 29, 2022, 08:48:01 AM
Not a removal, but...

Russell lake is a recent build on the Savannah River.  Work started in the 70s during the time when it seemed like the Army Corp wanted to damn everything. The lake came to fruition in the early 80s.

What was lost is 25 mile miles of remote Savannah River as it winds through a Fall Line. Gradient near Trotter Shoals runs about 25' per mile.  The river here drains about 3900 square miles, and was the size of the New River at the VA/WV state line. A river this size with this much fall would have produced some some serious III whitewater at Trotter shoals, and some great habitat for bass.  The topography here is somewhat hilly, and the river had many islands.  What a treasure lost.  Damn.

Just spent a couple days working in Calhoun Falls. This place is sparse.  People who seek to move to Florida should consider lake like on the SC/GA border.
The Gravel Bar / New Dad
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - September 28, 2022, 08:15:50 AM
This is the first mature offspring from my 11-year-old bur oaks.  I think it is unusual for such young oaks, but I've babied them since planting.  They've had acorns before, but none ever matured.

There are several more on the trees that I can harvest, harden over the winter, and hopefully plant next year.

I feel like a proud father!!!!

This month I've also buried seeds/acorns/nuts from wild plum, other oaks, and hickories in the ground.  Hopefully they will sprout.
Last post by Fishbug - September 25, 2022, 21:07:09 PM
In for Fri to Sun.

Will settle up on site.
Prob can cook up some dinner or breakfast.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Video of the day
Last post by Woolly Bugger - September 25, 2022, 10:45:50 AM
The Gravel Bar / Re: Sign of the apocalypse or ...
Last post by jwgnc - September 25, 2022, 10:34:01 AM
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Support the BRFFF