Cold day on the water

Started by troutphisher, December 27, 2009, 20:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Keith, Mike and I decided to hit the water today. We fished a stream in the mountain's of western NC.

Keith and I decided to meet up at 8:00am, and Mike was going to join us a little later. The air temp was a cool 25 degs when we started, and the water was a cool 38 flowing clear and high from recent rains.

I started the day fishing midges and fished a slow run near the bank. I picked up a few rainbows and the fish fought hard. Most of the morning was spent knocking the ice out of the guides on every 5th cast.

I hooked into a rainbow, pushing the deicing  a little and almost regretted it.
The fish fought hard and I was worried about the nail knot in the guides, but I managed to net the fish.

We saw some fish rising to midges, but the current was to strong to get a good drift, so we stayed with nymphing.

Later in the afternoon, I moved up river and fished another slow run with drys and managed a few more fish taking a size 22 olive midge emerger.

Keith worked his way up river and we called it a day with a couple of shots of smooth scotch.

All in all the day was a little slow, but it was still good to get out on the water.
I hadn't fished in a couple of days and was getting anxious to get back.

Here are some pic's of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

blue ridge angler

jwgnc

Those fish are upside down.  Were you guys fishing below the Equator in New Zealand?

Nice Trouts
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

diaz dassie

Nice! I spotted some blokes there yesterday. After seeing the flow, I thought to heck with that. Tried some fishing this morning and yes, I blanked on the creek I was on, way too strong of a flow for any fish to be in there, plus I can't cast with super weighted nymphs with a two weight. Santa wasn't kind enough to leave a 4wt under the tree this year but did hook me up with a Garmin 400T! Back in Raleigh in the comfort of my lounge and a case of hippie beer I picked up at Ingles. Dreamin of spring and wild trout in tiny bluelines! 0--0

Woolly Bugger

My numb fingers dropped several midges and split shot, I fumbled a few times tying knots. The icing guides presented casting challenges. Bad cast cost numerous flies lost in the bushes.  By the end of the day my feet felt like blocks of ice.

On the bright side I was mesmerized by the rippling water and the dancing reflections of color and light. I christened my new "Tailwater" Ghost, even if they didn't even come close to pushing the limits of net. Sally had a grand outing running up and down the trail and keeping us company stream side.  The Glenmorangie 15 year old has never tasted better.

Cheers!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

good on ya to get out there in the cold  0--0
those are some girthy fish !

rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Trout Maharishi

Crazy Bassturds! All of you suck 0--0 I was thinking about a New Years expedition with the pack animals and midget expeditionary team, but the long range weather outlook doesn't look very good :-\
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

What do you mean, "doesn't look good", Ice pellets, rain, snow, cold... what's wrong with that? I would think you would feel right at home... just bring along a few of them Sherpa fellows....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

finally got around to getting the flicks developed...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

sunrise on I-40, guessing that was near Hickory

climbing up Black Mountain

Sally sitting on the bank, you can see how high the stream was by where the snow has been removed. I was fishing with Mike and Karl, but didn't take any pictures of them. Mike was wearing a funny fuzzy winter ear flap hat and Karl, well who wants to see pictures of Karl?

Sally has some serious wonderlust and I got tired of chasing her down, tied her up with her leash, that didn't last long....

my big net makes the fish look smaller, and the water is too cold to bother picking them up...

this little fatty came to the net quickly but then began to fight in earnest and put on a good aerobatic show towards the end of the day.

driving home in the dark, much like the day began
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 28, 2009, 14:22:51 PM
Crazy Bassturds! All of you suck 0--0 I was thinking about a New Years expedition with the pack animals and midget expeditionary team, but the long range weather outlook doesn't look very good :-\

Update looks good to me:
[attach=1]
me -There's a season?

Oldman

Seems we are in fer a good long cold spell. I was going to fish this week but the heck with it. Woodstove and beer beats numb hands. When we get 3 days in a row  at 50 I will hit the creeks. I dont mind winter fishing its the frozen butt, feet and hands that bother me.